Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letting violators sit in your front seat unsearched?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting violators sit in your front seat unsearched?

I got into the gas pedal a little too deep outside of Des Moines this weekend and ended up meeting one of Iowa's finest! I usually set my cruise at a little under 80 MPH, but this time I didn't and got pulled over for going 82.

The way the stop was conducted shocked me. The Trooper requested that I step out of my car and accompany him back to his to have a seat in his car...in the front seat! Unsearched!

There we chatted for a bit while he ran my license and printed me out a warning. I did not have my gun on me at the time, but I often do carry concealed. Had I had my gun on me, I would have been a complete stranger and a "lawbreaker" sitting armed two feet from the Trooper.

Do any of you guys invite violators back to sit next to you while you run their info?

Never. Not under any circumstances, for any reason. They don't even go inthe back seat without being searched. No exceptions, I don't care if it harelips J. Edgar.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I guess from this article they also don't have cages and transport their prisioners in the front seat as well. That didn't work out so well in this instance where a guy simply unbuckled himself, got out of the squad and got smoked by a van on the freeway. You would at least think if you were going to be transporting prisioners up front, you would have the ability to not have the front passenger door be opened from the inside.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ages/21714545/

Comment

ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO HOW NO WAY! NEVER! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!

Can I make it any clearer?

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
          ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO HOW NO WAY! NEVER! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!

Can I make it any clearer?
          Nope, that is pretty clear! Here is the video of the guy just letting himself out of the squad. The Trooper Sgt. doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Cages aren't feasible? Cops all across the country have been working with cages (and often another officer in the car) for decades. What isn't feasible about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98KuFb6-7Mk

Also, officer safety does not appear to be the forte of the ISP. Here you see an off duty Trooper Captain just hop out of his vehicle on a stop and approach the trooper stopping him. A side note: Are you really making any net gains in motorist safety when you yourself has to drive code at well over 100 MPH for miles to pull over a lousy speeder? The juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze on that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tLSMy9KkaA
          Last edited by Long Relief; 01-19-2015, 02:46 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Many agencies are now going for the "warm & fuzzy" approach toward LE. All well-&-good I guess providing they don't sacrifice safety. "Cages not feasible." I don't see it. They're not expensive, are removed when cars are replaced & can often be adapted to the new cars when they come in. Someone, somewhere is pulling the wool over that agency in a big way at the expense of officer safety & it should be brought to the public's attention.

Comment

Many agencies are now going for the "warm & fuzzy" approach toward LE. All well-&-good I guess providing they don't sacrifice safety. "Cages not feasible." I don't see it. They're not expensive, are removed when cars are replaced & can often be adapted to the new cars when they come in. Someone, somewhere is pulling the wool over that agency in a big way at the expense of officer safety & it should be brought to the public's attention.
              State Police seem to be especially big on "tradition" while 99% of people will tell you that saying "well, we've always done it that way" is a poor excuse to not change with the times and adopt new tactics. I think it is the Troopers pulling the wool over their own eyes.

How can having unsearched violators and transporting prisioners without cages be considered reasonable officer safety in 2015?

Comment

"Cages not feasible." I don't see it. They're not expensive, are removed when cars are replaced & can often be adapted to the new cars when they come in.
                Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
                How can having unsearched violators and transporting prisioners without cages be considered reasonable officer safety in 2015?

Oh, please can you try and convince my state of this?

We have very few sedans with prisoner compartments, usually only in very secluded rural spots.

We have cage vans that we are supposed to depend on otherwise. It's hard enough getting one to turn up at 1730 on a Monday afternoon, let alone 0200 on a Friday night.

I've had to transport prisoners single crewed with no cage on many occasions. And I know of quite a few cops that have been injured like that.

I've also had the dubious pleasure a few times of fighting with a prisoner in the back of an uncaged car whilst being transported to the cells.
                Last edited by SACOP; 01-19-2015, 08:10 AM. Reason: I dun spel 2 wel arfter long shift at wurk

Comment

Heh, that's old school right there.

The reasoning behind doing so is it's much easier to smell alcohol if they sit in an enclosed space and breathe for a bit it builds up and is much easier to detect. So, you may find DUI that you would have missed before.

The reasoning behind not doing so is...you're in an enclosed space, somewhat distracted, likely with your gun on the side closest to them, and its a huge safety risk.

The vast vast vast majority of officers and departments have taken up the 2nd approach, the danger isn't worth it. My dept specifically forbids the practice. A witness or victim can sit up front, but a suspect or offender must be in the backseat, handcuffed behind the back, with the door's child locks on.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

What?
                    685474ec77ab01f045240d66089dc351d9e7fb418f1d2d411ba5e14e5ac9e178.jpg

Comment

I got into the gas pedal a little too deep outside of Des Moines this weekend and ended up meeting one of Iowa's finest! I usually set my cruise at a little under 80 MPH, but this time I didn't and got pulled over for going 82.

The way the stop was conducted shocked me. The Trooper requested that I step out of my car and accompany him back to his to have a seat in his car...in the front seat! Unsearched!

There we chatted for a bit while he ran my license and printed me out a warning. I did not have my gun on me at the time, but I often do carry concealed. Had I had my gun on me, I would have been a complete stranger and a "lawbreaker" sitting armed two feet from the Trooper.

Do any of you guys invite violators back to sit next to you while you run their info?
                      Please tell me this is BS... Seriously this is absurd, this could not have happened in this climate we are in. To answer your question it was pouring out, an older lady mid 60's was walikng in it. I offered her a ride, searched her, and made her sit in the back seat. Only person I trust is God and even he needs to show me his hands if he gets in my Unit.
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                        Please tell me this is BS... Seriously this is absurd, this could not have happened in this climate we are in. To answer your question it was pouring out, an older lady mid 60's was walikng in it. I offered her a ride, searched her, and made her sit in the back seat. Only person I trust is God and even he needs to show me his hands if he gets in my Unit.
                        For the sake of the Iowa State Patrol, I wish I were spinning a yarn. But, that is how they still conduct their business in 2015. This is Iowa after all and the best thing to come out of Iowa is 35W! They actually, until not that long ago, had some full fledged police officers that would conduct traffic stops and basically do everything a full service LE agency would do while unarmed!

Comment

State Troopers here dont use cages. Ive seen them bring in people in the front seat also. I expect or hope they were searched prior.

Comment

Many State cars here in PA do not have cages. I don't get it...
                            Regardless of any of that, my patrol bag is sitting on the passenger seat and it is a pain to move, so yeah, if you're riding with me, it's in the back.

Comment

For the sake of the Iowa State Patrol, I wish I were spinning a yarn. But, that is how they still conduct their business in 2015. This is Iowa after all and the best thing to come out of Iowa is 35W! They actually, until not that long ago, had some full fledged police officers that would conduct traffic stops and basically do everything a full service LE agency would do while unarmed!

Sounds like you might be just a little bit down on Iowa, and that's cool if that's what floats your boat. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm also beginning to feel like yours is the beginning of yet another anti-LE thread. That's OK too, but if it is, get ready for a little heat.

I'm retired from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety. While I don't claim that my Agency is on the cutting edge of each new technique and technology that comes down the road, our patrol vehicles DO have cages, and that's where ANY suspects/prisoners sit when in a patrol car.

I will concede that the practice you described was fairly common at one time, but it would bring some sanction(s) the way of the offending Trooper were it to be practiced today. The reasons are too many, too obvious, and have happened all too many times, and I needn't go into them here.

I will not claim, in regard to cages that, that is the practice across the land. It should be. I can only speak for my Agency, and that is what I've done.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6295 users online. 344 members and 5951 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X