300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you seperate work from home?

I plan on becoming a LEO when I become of age. My life currently revolves around having an excellent work ethic both at work and when volunteering but with the price of bringing a ton of stress into it. As a police officer, how do you keep that stress away from your personal life? How do you separate work from home?

Good times radio up just alittle louder on the trip home and 1 door shut at a time,sometimes you cant tho.On those days wife has learned to give me a little bit of quiet time where i can get online,read the paper or even come here just to let off alittle pressure.Some times the resident trolls do serve a little purpose for venting steam

I would also say try to do things with normal people that isnt job related to relax but the longer you do this job the harder that will become as most all your actual friends will do the same thing you do.

Good Luck if you do make it.

Comment

I think once you are on the job, you will find out that the T.V. stereotypical cop who is haunted by his/her job is just that a stereotype. Does the B.S. sometimes get to me, of course it does. There is one incident in particular that gets to me when my mind drifts to it. I do sometimes say a prayer for the victim and his family.

Sometimes it's hard to separate work from home because of my current assignment. It's not unusual to receive work related calls on the cell during my off hours or have to respond to an important/urgent email (which of course I receive on the cell). My wife and kids get really annoyed by this, but they understand.

I try to spend as much time with the family as possible and for the most part, don't hang out with anyone who isn't family. There just isn't enough time in the day. That being said, I have made friends throughout the years who aren't in LE (although my closest friends were met on the job) and when I do go out with them, I try not to talk about my job. Granted it isn't easy because sometimes my non-LE friends want to me talk about my job more than my LE friends do. When that happens I usually direct the conversation towards sports as a way to change the subject.
      Last edited by Country_Jim; 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Friends & hobbies not related to the job are a HUGE help. I rarely watch any police related shows, particularly so-called "reality" shows. "Country Jim" gave you the best answer. May I add temper your awareness of your surroundings with realism. Don't think every place you go or person you meet is a potential crime waiting to happen--you'll drive yourself crazy if you do.....

Comment

I hang my uniform in my locker and walk out the door. I don't hang out in bars with officers after work listening to them bitch about work. I have friends and hobbies that have nothing to do with work. I have a family. I don't watch any "police shows" (mostly because they are stupid, especially COPS) unless I catch an old rerun of Columbo or the like. It's not fool proof, but it does a pretty good job.

Comment

Bowling league is actually a good relief,normal people do it and most meth heads cant afford it.

Comment

I hang with my friends who aren't in LE. I also have some good hobbies like playing sports and weightlifting.

Comment

All of the above.. I will add that I do not live anywhere near the area that I work in. I know some folks do live in their sector beats and that's fine for them, but that geographical separation really helps me keep the two worlds from colliding.

Comment

45 minute commute each way helps me get into the mindset on the way in, and out of it on the way home.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Just as my attitude changed when I put on the gun and got in the 'Company Car', I do the reverse when I come home.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                      Just as my attitude changed when I put on the gun and got in the 'Company Car', I do the reverse when I come home.
                      Pretty much this. I got into LE after my twenties so it wasn't the first job I'd committed a good amount of time to. As much as I knew I wanted to do it and enjoy doing, at the end of the day it's still just a job. People look at us as if we're some other beings but we're normal citizens just like them.

Sort of related and something I thought was funny. I saw a friend on my lunch break the other day and he mentioned that I seemed "turned on" as if I was in some different state of mind on duty with my uniform on. I hadn't thought about it but I suppose he was right. Once I'm done for the day (night) and leave the locker room it's back to "normal" status.

Comment

Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
                        I plan on becoming a LEO when I become of age. My life currently revolves around having an excellent work ethic both at work and when volunteering but with the price of bringing a ton of stress into it. As a police officer, how do you keep that stress away from your personal life? How do you separate work from home?
                        LandTurtle,
                        "how do you separate work from home?"

Typically, a turtle is classified as a Chelonii or Testudines. You Amniotes typically divided as water and land - since, you're a land turtle; your natural habitat would be around creeks, ponds, lakes, water sources as well. However, even in some desert settings, thick or high brush or dry vegetation around with some shade would provide ample cover and protection from some of the elements. Your shell, both carapace and plastron sandwich your leathery body and your shell in most instances is your home - more like a mobile home to wherever your natural preserve or resting location may be. I'm sure you're aware of that, however, separation from your home - would be very difficult as you would not be able to physically remove the shells which encompasses and makes up your body composition - and it would be impossible. I'm sorry man, but you're stuck at home and you're going to have to bring it into your work.
                        Last edited by MCAPO; 01-27-2015, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
                          LandTurtle,
                          "how do you separate work from home?"

Typically, a turtle is classified as a Chelonii or Testudines. You Amniotes typically divided as water and land - since, you're a land turtle; your natural habitat would be around creeks, ponds, lakes, water sources as well. However, even in some desert settings, thick or high brush or dry vegetation around with some shade would provide ample cover and protection from some of the elements. Your shell, both carapace and plastron sandwich your leathery body and your shell in most instances is your home - more like a mobile home to wherever your natural preserve or resting location may be. I'm sure you're aware of that, however, separation from your home - would be very difficult as you would not be able to physically remove the shells which encompasses and makes up your body composition - and it would be impossible. I'm sorry man, but you're stuck at home and you're going to have to bring it into your work.
                          Wow.
                          SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
                            I'm sure you're aware of that, however, separation from your home - would be very difficult as you would not be able to physically remove the shells which encompasses and makes up your body composition - and it would be impossible.
                            I've seen it...it's not pretty...
                            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

For me its easy, been on the job for over forty years, I go home at the end of the shift, hang up the gun belt, shirt and armor and go into the living room and sit with my 1 year old granddaughter, five minutes of intense Lizzy therapy and even the worst crap day is forgotten.
                              never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6601 users online. 350 members and 6251 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X