300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Training

I'm asking this question because I'd like to take some thoughts away about the consensus if that's possible or even differing opinions about the best way to train someone.

In training with new officers, you probably like me have seen people with varying degrees of confidence. Some guys are always worried about their physique, you know the kind, eat sardines, fresh veggies and do crazy workouts. They always seem to have the answer to everything and imo, many times are dangerous because they're over-confident. Then of course you've got those who in training are very worried about doing each step perfectly go slow and their quantity of work suffers but its right.

To my question. How do you get the most out of each trainee in order for them to be efficient at their work? Do you think it's more important for them to go slower at first but have the accuracy down, or do you think its more important for them to pour out high volumes of work with multiple errors in their work, but in so making mistakes they eventually learn (hopefully).

Do you have any suggestions of how to strike the medium in all of this and make that a part of your MO as a trainer so that each person you train (that has the ability TO train) becomes successful?

The need behind my question is civilians often lack any sense of motivation, unlike the service and probably police too I don't know how to get them to enjoy their work, and make it a point to get it right the first time. Any ideas?

Originally posted by that's my hand View Post
    I don't know how to get them to enjoy their work,
    It is not the duty of a trainer to "make" someone enjoy their work. THAT is on the employee not the employer.

Generally a person who has been competently trained and has an interest in their job will enjoy work. But quite honestly enjoying the job is not really necessary as long as the job is done correctly.

That sounds like a bad attitude waiting to happen doesn't it--------------but there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who don't like the job they have and are doing it to make money so they can live.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the response. Anything to add is highly encouraged. Maybe I should refine my training program, use a slide show or other relevant training aids. I think right now that needs some help. I should start there first.

Comment

Originally posted by that's my hand View Post
        Thanks for the response. Anything to add is highly encouraged. Maybe I should refine my training program, use a slide show or other relevant training aids. I think right now that needs some help. I should start there first.
        It's hard to know what to say because "proven" training methods don't work in certain circumstances.

I couldn't train my Correctional Officers the way Cops are field trained. We used much different methods than used by police.

Training in Fire Arms is much more specialized than training in Criminal Law.............totally different methods of knowledge retention, etc

FYI----------------cops enter a training session and see the Power Point set up---------they immediately try to find a dark corner to catch a nap............:
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Yep, death by power point. Hmmm. See, there's no camaraderie. It's like every man for himself and the game. Always the game. Instead of going to work as an employee, being on time, and doing your best. Not because your paid, but because you have pride in your work.

Minus the camaraderie, and minus the game, because both are just all part of it, no changing that, there's got to be a way to give the trainees/employees the best chance of success and make it a standard approach. Any good books, or training vids out there, anybody know of?

Comment

This is expensive and boring as can be----------------but to many it opens up the mind to get them thinking

Real Colors Training

http://www.realcolors.org/products/r...ation-training

It is kind of a team building exercise

Comment

There are half a million resources on the internet about training. The only answer that is 100% correct is that there is no 1 answer, just like there isn't 1 personality type. Age, experience, and motivation all change learning habits. Some people learn great from power points. Some learn great from dialogue. Others learn from reading, and some may use all three depending on the topic. Some new officers with me respond be being screamed at. Others respond to calm dialogue.

There is no doubt that training is probably the hardest thing in the world; which is why I do it as little as I can.

Comment

Training LEOs is a tricky balance between instilling confidence & motivation. While you don't want the Gung-Ho type you certainly don't need the shrinking violet type either. The "trick" is to show the recruit in stages what's expected & why, what can go wrong & alternatives to his initial behavior. If the response to a field problem is so far off that it's risky or illegal I'll ask him if he thinks it would pass a "headline test" or if he'd want to be subjected to that type of behavior. that usually gets him to thinking about solutions.
                Similar to the military, you want the self-motivator tha can follow instructions but can also think outside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                  Training LEOs is a tricky balance between instilling confidence & motivation. While you don't want the Gung-Ho type you certainly don't need the shrinking violet type either. The "trick" is to show the recruit in stages what's expected & why, what can go wrong & alternatives to his initial behavior. If the response to a field problem is so far off that it's risky or illegal I'll ask him if he thinks it would pass a "headline test" or if he'd want to be subjected to that type of behavior. that usually gets him to thinking about solutions.
                  Similar to the military, you want the self-motivator tha can follow instructions but can also think outside the box.
                  WHAT!

You mean Tackelberry wasn't supposed to be a role model ?

Comment

Iowa, I've got a good one for you too. "Don't shoot the dog," Karen Pryor. Check it out. Here's a short quote from the foreword: "Nobody should be allowed to have a baby until they have first been required to train a chicken."

Any K-9 officers should DEFINITELY try reading the book above, if you haven't already. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      FYI----------------cops enter a training session and see the Power Point set up---------they immediately try to find a dark corner to catch a nap............:
                      Doesn't this fall under the we don't discuss tactics in an open forum rule?
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean LB. I'm not interested in tactics, and quite honestly I don't want to know. I'm referring to training. Just practical training techniques that keep interest levels high and have a tendency to work well. I do NOT have ANY interest in tactics. None!!!!!

I don't want no medals, no badges, no special commendations, no awards, nothing. I wouldn't mind getting my dog certified but that's not what this is about. Trying to train civilians at a civilian job to be their best, and feel their best about their work, is what this is about. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
                          Doesn't this fall under the we don't discuss tactics in an open forum rule?
                          Sorry, I forgot

Comment

Wow, I had no idea this would go that way. SMH.

Comment

As an FTO, I used to get sent alot of the 'problem' trainees. I found the key was to figure out how the person learns. Different people learn differently. That's a very broad question. Trainees have to bring motivation and a willingness to listen/learn.
                              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6373 users online. 334 members and 6039 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X