300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corrective eye surgery

wanted to know if anyone who has had any corrective eye surgery(PRK, Lasik, ICL) can share their experience. What was your prescription to if you know it? I want to work as a special agent for a federal law enforcement agency but my uncorrected vision does not meet some of the requirements these agencies have. Due to my prescription most doctors says I'm not a candidate for corrective surgery. I have a -9.50 in one eye and I believe a -10 in the other. This translates to about 20/400. I had a doctor willing to work on my eyes but the risks considering my high prescription makes me have second thoughts. I'm only 24 and even though my prescription should be stable at this age I wouldn't doubt it changing within the next year. Also I had a scleral buckle surgery performed back in May 2014. That surgery only deals with the retina so it wouldn't prevent me from doing any corrective but figured I'll mention it to.

Originally posted by portnj View Post
    most doctors says I'm not a candidate for corrective surgery.
    I think that answers any questions.........................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I had it done in '03. I went from 20/400 to 20/15. No issues at all.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I had it done in 2001; I believe my prescription was -5.25 in both eyes. I see 20/20 now. At the time I was only 21, but my doctor thought I was a good candidate for the surgery because my prescription had been stable for quite some time.

As far as the experience, mine was extremely positive. It's been quite some time obviously but here is how I remember it: I showed up at the doctor's office in the early morning, and had some drops put in my eyes. The doctor gave me a quick eye exam then proceeded with the surgery. I remember this crazy device that held my eye open so I couldn't blink (yet it still felt like I was blinking). The doctor then attached some other crazy tool that I believe was called a microkeratome(?). It felt like it was putting pressure on my eye, like it was making it flat. I didn't feel anything on my first (right) eye. The microkeratome cut around my eye and created a flap which they rolled or taco'd to the side. Then they lasered the eye, put the flap back in place and did the left eye. The left eye I swear I felt the flap being cut, but the doctor said that was just my mind thinking it knew what was happening. Afterwards I saw with my eyes shut in a waiting area, where they gave me Tylenol PM. They told me I shouldn't open my eyes, but I admit that I opened them a few times... I remember looking around and everything had a cloudy appearance to it, but I could already tell my vision was improving. I was driven home, where I slept for about 4 hours, until I got up for lunch. The cloudiness had improved, as well as my vision. After I ate, I went back to bed and woke up that evening around 8pm. My eyes were probably about 20/40. For the first week I slept with plastic covers taped over my eyes to prevent me from poking them or rubbing them in my sleep and tearing those flaps back open. Also for the first month I had to use antibacterial eyedrops and rewetting drops. The rewetting drops were a huge necessity. I want to say I had a follow on appointment the day after the surgery, a week after the surgey, and a month after the surgery. The day after I was at 20/20. On some days I get 20/15 some 20/20.

This was by far the best thing I have ever bought myself. However, like Iowa said - if your doctors don't think you are a candidate for surgery, they likely won't perform it. Maybe you can explore other options with them.

Good luck!
        Chesterfield County Police

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          I think that answers any questions.........................

I agree as well. Do you really want to play games with your eyes? The alphabet agencies are supported by a large civilian work force; they cannot function without them.

Comment

I think that 9.5 and 10.0 dioptors equals about 20/1000 vision. If you are not a candidate for corrective eye surgery, don't risk eye damage. Instead, look for departments that allow for 20/20 vision corrected with contact lens with no uncorrected requirement. There are quite a few.

Check out what the FBI says:

Special Agent applicants should possess uncorrected visual acuity no worse than 20/200 (Snellen chart) in each eye, with correction to 20/20 in one eye and at least 20/40 in the other eye. Individuals unable to meet the 20/200 minimum uncorrected acuity may be considered if they provide medical documentation of use of soft contact lenses for at least one year without significant problems or adverse effects.
            Last edited by GoldBadge; 01-13-2015, 09:36 AM.
            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I was going to have RK waaaay back, but my brother, who is a very intelligent and good thinker ( and sharp attorney to boot) said one sentence to me:

"These are your eyes. If there is a screw up, you could be blind.

Granted, I have a really bad astigmatism in one eye- but no issues like you (my vision is 20/60 uncorrected), and this discussion was before more current (read: safer) procedures.

Still, I'd rather wear glasses/contacts than risk my vision.
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Had RK over 20 years ago... was -8 and -5.5 with astigmatism. Made it to 20/40 uncorrected in each eye after multiple procedures (three surgeries on each eye; they called them "touch-ups") over the course of a year. Have not had any issues to this point, although I do experience "star-bursts" when facing oncoming traffic at night, especially in the rain... not to the point of blinding, but relatively annoying. My vision has actually improved to 20/30 over the last few years, although I feel like I could use reading glasses sometimes... probably just getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticine View Post
                  I had it done in 2001; I believe my prescription was -5.25 in both eyes. I see 20/20 now. At the time I was only 21, but my doctor thought I was a good candidate for the surgery because my prescription had been stable for quite some time.

As far as the experience, mine was extremely positive. It's been quite some time obviously but here is how I remember it: I showed up at the doctor's office in the early morning, and had some drops put in my eyes. The doctor gave me a quick eye exam then proceeded with the surgery. I remember this crazy device that held my eye open so I couldn't blink (yet it still felt like I was blinking). The doctor then attached some other crazy tool that I believe was called a microkeratome(?). It felt like it was putting pressure on my eye, like it was making it flat. I didn't feel anything on my first (right) eye. The microkeratome cut around my eye and created a flap which they rolled or taco'd to the side. Then they lasered the eye, put the flap back in place and did the left eye. The left eye I swear I felt the flap being cut, but the doctor said that was just my mind thinking it knew what was happening. Afterwards I saw with my eyes shut in a waiting area, where they gave me Tylenol PM. They told me I shouldn't open my eyes, but I admit that I opened them a few times... I remember looking around and everything had a cloudy appearance to it, but I could already tell my vision was improving. I was driven home, where I slept for about 4 hours, until I got up for lunch. The cloudiness had improved, as well as my vision. After I ate, I went back to bed and woke up that evening around 8pm. My eyes were probably about 20/40. For the first week I slept with plastic covers taped over my eyes to prevent me from poking them or rubbing them in my sleep and tearing those flaps back open. Also for the first month I had to use antibacterial eyedrops and rewetting drops. The rewetting drops were a huge necessity. I want to say I had a follow on appointment the day after the surgery, a week after the surgey, and a month after the surgery. The day after I was at 20/20. On some days I get 20/15 some 20/20.

This was by far the best thing I have ever bought myself. However, like Iowa said - if your doctors don't think you are a candidate for surgery, they likely won't perform it. Maybe you can explore other options with them.

Good luck!
                  what did you have done? was it lasik?

Comment

I had 20/400 vision in both eyes and was not a good candidate for Lasik due to thin corneas. I had PRK done about 6 months before I went to FLETC. My eyes are 20/15 and 20/20. After 30 years of wearing glasses it felt great to get rid of them. I haven't had any issues since. I got the surgery about 6 years ago.

Comment

I highly recommend it, but be mindful of the risks. In your case, I don't think it would be a wise decision. That's your call to make tho.

I has -3.75 in one eye and -4.00 in the other, with astigmatism.
                      Got Lasik, I'm 20/20 with most days and 20/15 on some.
                      I have mild dry eye, but I'll take that over glasses/contacts and being able to do things without breaking my glasses or worrying about my contacts popping out.

Or the super awesome feeling of a contact going to the sides of your eyeball. Ugggggggghhhhhhh!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3867 users online. 222 members and 3645 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X