Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tell me if the leo made a mistake, was is a rookie mistake ????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me if the leo made a mistake, was is a rookie mistake ????

So someone I know was desperately needing a ride to pick up his seizure medication the pharmacy before they closed (it was new years eve bout 430 pm). I managed to get someone to let me barrow a car that they had be working on and just got running , to give him a ride. well less than a mile down the freeway we get pulled over, by a highway patrol officer, he stated the plates were suspended, i ??what I thought they were good till 2015??? then I said It wasn't my car and I wasn't aware of that, I told him where we were headed, he said do you guys have ids/licenses, so we handed them to him , he then said im going to give you no seatbelt tickets, he goes back to the car and a while later comes back with envelopes and hands them to us and heres your tickets and guys may go, just buckle up, okay, so we ventured to the pharmacy. the next day I started to read the ticket and he ticketed me for no seat belt, no insurance, and suspended plates, whoa, wow I thought surely he would of mentioned what he ticketed me for , or atleast have me sign it, or at least asked me if I had registration or insurance, ???but whatever...THEN I NOTICED ON THE TICKET HE PUT ME DOWN AS THE REGISTERED OWNER, NEVER HAS THE CAR BEEN AFFILIATED WITH ME , WHY WOULD HE HAVE ME DOWN IN THE VEHICLE INFORMATION AREA ON THE TICKET AS THE REGISTERED OWNER? HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS ? ,

Signing tickets only happens in a few states. If you think there's a mistake on the ticket, go to traffic court and explain it.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Appear in court if you have any problems with the officers actions during the stop.

I see no mistakes in the incident based on what you wrote..........
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

That's what happens when you borrow a car and don't tell us the whole story.

Go to court. You get no sympathy here...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Tell your (guilty) side in court.

I don't suggest doing it in writing.

Comment

If the officer put you down as the registered owner and you weren't and there was no evidence other than you driving it, then he made a mistake. Here in Texas, if you are operating the vehicle, you are responsible for the violations.

Comment

In Ohio, all that matters is the name of the driver. No notation is made of the registered owner because it is immaterial.
              If you think a mistake has been made, as my colleagues have said, go to court.

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                If the officer put you down as the registered owner and you weren't and there was no evidence other than you driving it, then he made a mistake. Here in Texas, if you are operating the vehicle, you are responsible for the violations.
                That "mistake" is often NOT fatal to the charge

In Iowa an officer or prosecutor is allowed to amend and/or modify charges at trial
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

In Iowa an officer or prosecutor is allowed to amend and/or modify charges at trial
                  Same here. Push come to shove the ticket would simply be reissued.
                  Last edited by just joe; 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Let me do this first, it's important that YOU understand this. This forum does NOT Monday Morning Quarterback, second guess, critique, criticize , or analyze the actions of other officers. Deny it till the damned cows come home, but that's exactly what you want this board to do.

If you believe that you were improperly or unfairly charged, your proper course of action would be to plead "Not Guilty" and request a court date per the instructions on the violator's (that's you) copy of the citation or summons. Appear in court on the date and at the time indicated, and tell your story to the judge.

Comment

Oh, and let me address the title of your thread, The title you phrased as a question. With regard to the Officer's actions, be advised, he/she made NO mistake, rookie or otherwise. OTH, based on the information contained in your post, YOU made the mistake, and yeah, it wasn't really too bright.

Now before you get all mad and hurt at me(us) please recall it was YOU who asked the question.

Comment

Go to court and contest it. You will lose on all counts, except (at least in California) you would not be liable for the plates. Equipment violations (headlights out, etc.) are correctable citations issued to the registered owner, which is not you and should not be your responsibility to fix, however I do not know your state's laws. On a side note, that is the least of the violations as it is correctable. The no insurance and seatbelt violations are not correctable and you are completely at fault for.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Here either. We have a really good ADA straightening out any minor mistake like that. When I first started, there were no ADAs at traffic court and the judges often sided with the violator as a rule.

Comment

Tell me if the driver made a mistake, was it a rookie mistake??????

So someone I don't know used a car which wasn't theirs. It turns out the car wasn't registered, the car didn't have insurance and the driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt and then the driver wants to complain about the ticket they received. How do I go about this?

Comment

wasn't complaining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5378 users online. 266 members and 5112 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X