300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime

How much overtime do you guys typically work on your own accord?

Does your department cap overtime?

That answer varies and much as there are agencies. I would compare it to asking how many handguns a gun store has and which ones sell Glocks.

Comment

1. As much as I can get; at my (large) agency this works out to two-three gigs a month in the tourist/busy season, and maybe once a month in the winter. Gigs generally last 4-12 hours.

2. No.

Comment

You might as well ask someone what their favorite color or food is. Some depts have zero OT while others have OT out the ***, to everything in between.

Comment

I had pretty much unlimited OT at my old job..................the only thing about it was since I was salaried, I never got paid for working any of it
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The great thing is I realize this varies.. thus, I was asking about each of YOUR practices...

Comment

Originally posted by sethd27 View Post
              The great thing is I realize this varies.. thus, I was asking about each of YOUR practices...
              And it will change from time to time with each agency...........................sometimes there is lots of OT if you are busy, short handed or have special things..........The next week the bean counters don't let you have any.

Like was said before ---------------the question really doesn't have enough limiters to be able to answer
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

OT is cyclical, is unlimited, and is assigned by rotation based on seniority.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

Comment

Unless it has changed since I retired,,,LASD has a cap of 96 hours per month which when I worked most everyone was able to work that much... My last 5 years as a Sgt. my lowest month of OT 60 hours..Almost every month was 75-90 hours. That much OT month after month can really kick your butt...
                    Retired LASD

Comment

Overtime

No cap on OT here, but unfortunately it doesn't count toward retirement. If it did, I'd work doubles seven days a week.

OT to maintain staffing (vacation or sick replacement, as most patrol shifts are minimum staffing when everyone is there) is first-come, first-served. We have an online system, and it's incumbent on the people who are looking for OT to check the system for available shifts.

The sergeants usually send out an email advising of upcoming open shifts. If no one signs up, then they ask for a volunteer to uold over from the previous shift, and for someone from the following shift to come in early. If they still get no vounteers, then the sergeant assigns the least senior deputy to hold over. Holdovers are usually short-notice deals, like someone calling in sick.

It is quite rate for no one to volunteer.
                      Last edited by ateamer; 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Usually when you need it there's none and when you don't want it it's ordered. LOL

Comment

At the time of my retirement, my Agency limited authorized O/T to 20 hours per pay period. The Agency also strictly limited what constituted authorized O/T.

Comment

As long as I can document what I was doing in my case management, I can work whatever hours I need to. Uniformed is a bit more limited as they can't just decide to work extra, but there are plenty of opportunities to do so most of the time. I used to work federal grants for DUI enforcement, work zone enforcement, and high fatal crash intersection enforcement. We're so short handed right now, they hire back quite a bit to reach minimum on various districts as well. Depending on shift, many times your court will be OT.

There are some special teams that get more OT opportunities as well. We've got one called "ERG" (Event Response Group) that does everything from crowd control, area searches for missing children, perimeter security for HazMat demolition (when they bring down a big building with asbestos and the like and the area is blocked off), etc. There's usually a squad or two out for big events.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                              1. As much as I can get; at my (large) agency this works out to two-three gigs a month in the tourist/busy season, and maybe once a month in the winter. Gigs generally last 4-12 hours.

2. No.
                              Exact same answer. I use to clean up on OT, but my department is fully staffed for right now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5077 users online. 269 members and 4808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X