300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing in...

Well since this is my first Law Enforcement career. What is typical with the swearing in ceremony?

This agency is swearing me in two weeks prior to the start of the academy I am scheduled to attend. Seems off to me, but again I have no clue what is typical.

You raise your right paw and swear the oath. Then have a picture taken. There might be cookies.
    Last edited by CCCSD; 01-06-2015, 07:26 PM.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

some are real formal -------------others not so much
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        some are real formal -------------others not so much
        This. Each dept does their own thing. Did they tell you it was a ceremony, or just that they were swearing you in? Since you haven't even been to the academy, I would expect to walk in to the chief's office, be there about two minutes, and then walk out.

Comment

Nope, it is apparently a ceremony. Asked if the wife would be like to pin the badge on me. How many guests to prepare food for etc..... Seems quite extravagant for a swearing in before the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by jtay View Post
            Nope, it is apparently a ceremony. Asked if the wife would be like to pin the badge on me. How many guests to prepare food for etc..... Seems quite extravagant for a swearing in before the academy.
            I agree; sounds like big doings.

Comment

Yeah, I don't like celebrations or "big doings" in my name. I'd rather play behind the scenes.... Thank you for your comments everyone.

Comment

Nothing's typical. If one police department, I was sworn in the first day and given my ID (with picture taken) and badge.

As a fed, I was sworn in day one and got badge and creds when I graduated training.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

My swearing in was at the County Clerk's Office at like 0930 on a tuesday. The only other person there was an executive commander person who authorized the Deputy Clerk to swear me in.

Comment

Originally posted by jtay View Post
                    You are getting your badge pinned on two weeks before you start the academy?

Comment

Cookies. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                        You are getting your badge pinned on two weeks before you start the academy?
                        I had mine almost 12 months before I started the academy

In Iowa a person can work as a sworn officer for up to 18 months before going to the academy............
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Mine went like this:

Random rep from the office: "Here's your badge and commission card. "

me: "Thank you sir."

Random rep: "sign this book."

me: "Yes sir. Can I ask what it is?"

Random Rep: "its the book where you sign that says you will not be an a**."

me: "roger that, sir." (scribble scribble)

We did at group swearing in with the paw and oath and stuff at academy graduation though.

There were no cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            I had mine almost 12 months before I started the academy

In Iowa a person can work as a sworn officer for up to 18 months before going to the academy............
                            Oooooooooooh...... I didnt know places like that still existed.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                              Oooooooooooh...... I didnt know places like that still existed.
                              In my state you can work up to six months prior to academy. I'm not aware of it actually happening anymore, though. Closest to it is reserve officers often get hired and work off their reserve commission while waiting to start the full-time academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4212 users online. 255 members and 3957 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X