Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Student Seeks Guidance

Hello,

Here's a little about myself. I'm 22 years old, with an A.A. in Criminal Justice and working towards a B.S. in Criminal Pschology. At the beginning of the year, I started a nice paying job as a detention officer. However, I became severely ill and had to quit as I spent three months in bed. September, I had a major turnaround and attempted to become a rehire with the agency for juvenile justice. They've frowned apon my sudden absence, even though I was medically unable to put in a two week notice. Because I had the bills piling up, I took a retail merchandiser job which I really hate. It's a low pay bust butt job, and the worst part, this week I have four hours.

So here's where I need help. What can I do to get out of this job and into something that will look good on my resume and give me the skills I need for later in life? Where should apply to? What would be a great job for someone like me, who is in college?

I've sat for the CJBAT, and passed with a high score. After receiving my spring refund from school, I will pay for the academy which begins in fall 2015. For the meantime, I need a different job, but I'm totally stuck. Maybe it's my location, or maybe I just have no clue what to do! Thanks in advance, no harsh comments please.

At 22, you should be able to figure out your issues. Man up and figure out your own life. Mommy and daddy have left the building. It's a real world out there.

Get it?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

No harsh comments? It's very possible some will be forthcoming. Here's the deal. Posters (You) don't get to dictate the terms and conditions of the replies they receive. The forum makes that call. We deal in truth, and the fact is, some posters have considerable difficulty handling that. Now that the "admininstrative" admonitions are complete, I'll attempt to reply to your query.

You didn't state the nature of your illness, and that's OK as far as the forum is concerned. Be prepared to disclose it in any future LE applications you make. You should also attempt to understand the situation from an employer's perspective. You were absent from your job for a rather lengthy period of time. That meant scheduling had to be made to cover your work assignment(s).

Hopefully, your medical situation is a thing of the past, and it will cause you no further problems. I'm not going to make any real suggestions concerning your current less than ideal work situation. I would suggest you continue to apply to LE agencies, and when called upon to do so, fully explain your illness and the situation surrounding it. That will be a must.

If you're able to better your current working situation, do so, but give the appropriate notice, with two weeks being the norm.

Comment

People are hired into law enforcement from all walks of life, to include school teachers, carpenters, factory workers, truck drivers, restaurant staff, etc. You're 22 -- you don't have a resume. For a civil service dept., you need to score very well on the written test to even start the ball rolling. Decide what kind of job you want and apply for those jobs. Your performance at the job you have is more important than the type of job you have.

What do you do with a degree in criminal psychology?

Comment

Bartending. Fairly easy to learn, hours don't interfere with classes, you'll interact with people you'll be arresting soon, and if you're half way good at it you can make some cash.

Next?
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

My first concern is with your "No Harsh Comments" request. You are talking about entering a profession where the professionals are activly being hunted down and executed by other members of a society that is attempting to turn its back on the very individuals who provide the safety and security that the society must have in order to function. In essence, you want to join a brotherhood where you will certainly be the target of violent, perhaps fatal, attacks but you are concerned with not being subjected to "harsh" words from strangers on the internet.

Suck it up, Buttercup. If you have issues with handling the truth when it is being presented to you, how much more are you going to struggle with the type of things you will run across on the streets? This is real life, not some academic exercise, and out here both sides have to play for keeps and the other side does not play by the rules. You will be the target of insults, lies, false allegations, and under constant scrutiny from your enemies, your superiors, the community you serve, and the media. Your political masters will hang you out to dry faster than you would ever imagine. How are you going to cope with that if you want the truth sugar coated for you so that it tastes better?
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I'll make it even easier. If your medical issues will allow, join the military.

If you finish your BA you may be able to enter the officer corp. Decent pay with the opportunity for advancement, mentally and physically challenging, no "sick hours" to earn since if you need to be out for the day, you can go to sick call and get taken care of, you earn a good amount of vacation hours, decent job security as long as you work hard and keep your nose clean, and best of all, life and job skills that can carry with you if you decide to move to a different career, and you don't have to worry about the "good ol' boy system" keeping you from getting hired or promoted.

The down side, at a minimum you enter into a 4 year contract that you are held to, some job locations suck, a few supervisors get a "god complex", you are required to conform to their dress code without exception as well as strict grooming requirements, and finally, for some reason, when you are in your first few weeks of work and training for your new career, people seem to enjoy yelling and screaming at you.

Just me I guess. I just see this as a viable option for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppydog View Post
                Thanks in advance, no harsh comments please.
                Concern #1

You are going to get the answers that you get. And yes they will probably be harsh...............from reading your post, I have a funny feeling that you aren't going to like the answers you are going to get

At the beginning of the year, I started a nice paying job as a detention officer. However, I became severely ill and had to quit as I spent three months in bed. September, I had a major turnaround and attempted to become a rehire with the agency for juvenile justice. They've frowned apon my sudden absence, even though I was medically unable to put in a two week notice.
                Concern #2

This just doesn't happen. Even the most hardened employer is going to understand someone getting ill and spending 3 months in bed. Even if you were not eligible for FMLA leave most public employers tend to be understanding.

Even quitting, if it was due to a serve illness most employers (especially public employers) are going to understand you having the inability to work for them if you are bedridden.

This situation bothers me considerably

Because I had the bills piling up, I took a retail merchandiser job which I really hate. It's a low pay bust butt job, and the worst part, this week I have four hours.
                It's money coming in-------------go find a second part time job to supplement your wages

So here's where I need help. What can I do to get out of this job and into something that will look good on my resume and give me the skills I need for later in life? Where should apply to? What would be a great job for someone like me, who is in college?
                Concern #3

So you are 22 yrs old, have an AA in Criminal Justice and can't figure out how to find a job ? AND you think that you can be a cop where you pretty much work on your own 90% of the time making decisions that could be life or death for you, your partners, and the general public.

Why worry about a resume building job when you need CASH MONEY ? Dig ditches, scoop manure, shelp dishes as a busboy, wait tables, McDonalds usually hires anyone----including people with criminal records. Money is money when you are a college student. Resume's can be built later when you are working for a living

I've sat for the CJBAT, and passed with a high score. After receiving my spring refund from school, I will pay for the academy which begins in fall 2015. For the meantime, I need a different job, but I'm totally stuck. Maybe it's my location, or maybe I just have no clue what to do!
                I wouldn't waste your $$$$$ on an academy until you learn a bit about life
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yep, THAT WAS kind of harsh. Let's see if he can handle that. It was the truth though, and as we know, that can be hard for some folks to handle too. Might be fun to see how this one plays.

Comment

However, I became severely ill and had to quit as I spent three months in bed
                    Why would you quit?

If you become severely ill there are options for most employers that don't require quitting the job.

Unpaid leave, a leave of absence, all kinds of options even if you don't have much sick leave or vacation saved up... especially for a medically verifiable illness.

That just sounds weird to me. Expect to be asked to provide details and medical verification to a prospective employer.

If you finish your BA you may be able to enter the officer corp.
                    Oh please don't.

You can't figure out how to manage your own life and you're going to lead a platoon of Soldiers and figure out what to do with theirs?

No.

Suck it up, Buttercup.
                    This.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

No harsh comments? You are not cut out for LE at this time, sorry but that's the way it is. This does not make you a bad person, most people are not cut out to deal with the crap we put up with. Get out in the real world, gain some life experience, start thinking for yourself and maybe you will be able to put up with people who don't talk sweet to you.

The world is a dangerous place and people speaking in harsh terms will be the least of your worries as a LE officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4837 users online. 292 members and 4545 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X