300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I travel after dark a lot around 50 miles back and forth to work. I see traffic stops ALL the time, so it's pretty standard. Since this craziness has been going on all over the country involving ambushes and assaults against police officers, I've been more concerned about their safety. I'm certain I'm not alone, but what is the best way to help? I'm probably overthinking it, but I'd rather be prepared. Being prepared for war is the greatest preservation of peace. - George Washington

BTW, I know the importance of being a good witness, especially since I got to see first hand as a juror in an aggravated assault case. There are some really DUMB witnesses.

Originally posted by that's my hand View Post
    I travel after dark a lot around 50 miles back and forth to work. I see traffic stops ALL the time, so it's pretty standard. Since this craziness has been going on all over the country involving ambushes and assaults against police officers, I've been more concerned about their safety. I'm certain I'm not alone, but what is the best way to help? I'm probably overthinking it, but I'd rather be prepared. Being prepared for war is the greatest preservation of peace. - George Washington

BTW, I know the importance of being a good witness, especially since I got to see first hand as a juror in an aggravated assault case. There are some really DUMB witnesses.
    If you are stopped -------follow the directions of the officer

OTHERWISE do NOTHING.

Interjecting yourself into a traffic stop will get you hurt---------------there are almost no circumstances where an untrained civilian should attempt to assist an on duty officer during a traffic stop

The very few instances where it would be advised would be so remote as to just not being able to prepare for.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

OTHERWISE do NOTHING.

Interjecting yourself into a traffic stop will get you hurt---------------there are almost no circumstances where an untrained civilian should attempt to assist an on duty officer during a traffic stop

The very few instances where it would be advised would be so remote as to just not being able to prepare for.
      I read an article about an incident that took place involving an officer being attacked and an Army recruiter stopped his car to help the office. The criminal pulled a gun but fortunately for the recruiter the gun jammed. I thought at the time that might have been a bad move, and ever since I've wondered if the recruiter could have helped the officer but in a different way because it could have turned out completely different.

Comment

OTHERWISE do NOTHING.

This would be correct. I appreciate the OPs attitude towards cops though.

Comment

Your concern is understandable, but DO NOT interfere. It is a safety risk for everyone involved.

Comment

I read an article about an incident that took place involving an officer being attacked and an Army recruiter stopped his car to help the office. The criminal pulled a gun but fortunately for the recruiter the gun jammed. I thought at the time that might have been a bad move, and ever since I've wondered if the recruiter could have helped the officer but in a different way because it could have turned out completely different.
            Please CAREFULLY read my response again ---------SEVERAL TIMES

OTHERWISE do NOTHING.

You can keep adding to the scenario all you want. An UNTRAINED person interjecting themselves into a traffic stop is dangerous TO EVERYONE on the stop.

I am trained, I am an LEO, and I still don't interject myself in to the business of a uniformed officer unless I feel (based on my training and experience) that I will be able to do so safely for everyone AND that the officer is in danger if I do not do so

In 38 yrs I have done it---------------MAYBE--------3 times or so

Each of those times I have IDENTIFIED myself prior to engaging and assisted when acknowledged.

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
            I appreciate the OPs attitude towards cops though.
            I agree, I just don't want someone who has good motives getting themselves or someone else hurt
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-02-2015, 04:53 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Remember good ole Sgt. Shultz from Hogan's Hero's? Be him.

Comment

10-4, lt!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12513[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks Iowa, I'm glad you took the extra time to explain ... and same for the rest of the officers. I don't like what has been happening to our police officers and have seen 2 awesome guys EOW here where I live, but I can appreciate there's nothing I can do. One thing I learned in the training I received was that you never know what the real deal is so if you do interject it's quite possible the plain clothes could be the good guy and you've just put everybody in danger.

Comment

Simpler: you can be shot dead.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

If I'm getting my *** kicked, feel free to step in. I've had civilians help me before. A couple times I've had someone wadded up but if I'd reach for a handcuff the fight would be on again, as I needed both hands to control them. I've had civilians come up and ASK if they could help. Yup, get a set of cuffs off my belt..now put one on his wrist here, then I'll take them... Note this requires an area with a decent amount of police/community trust. People talk about it like a one way street, but it isn't.

NEVER EVER EVER pull in on a traffic stop, though, unless the situation has already deteriorated. You are in the way. You are a potential threat. You are confusing the situation. If you see it going south and you feel like you do need to intervene, be loud in stating that. "Get off the officer, leave the officer alone" etc. Follow any instructions immediately, and be prepated to stick around for awhile.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                        If I'm getting my *** kicked, feel free to step in. I've had civilians help me before. A couple times I've had someone wadded up but if I'd reach for a handcuff the fight would be on again, as I needed both hands to control them. I've had civilians come up and ASK if they could help. Yup, get a set of cuffs off my belt..now put one on his wrist here, then I'll take them... Note this requires an area with a decent amount of police/community trust. People talk about it like a one way street, but it isn't.

NEVER EVER EVER pull in on a traffic stop, though, unless the situation has already deteriorated. You are in the way. You are a potential threat. You are confusing the situation. If you see it going south and you feel like you do need to intervene, be loud in stating that. "Get off the officer, leave the officer alone" etc. Follow any instructions immediately, and be prepated to stick around for awhile.
                        I would NEVER EVER intervene in a traffic stop for ANY reason whatsoever unless I saw the officer was in grave danger. However, if I saw an officer being attacked by multiple attackers and I could honestly help without making the situation worse, I believe I would. In my mind I wouldn't be much of a human being if I didn't. I believe most civilians who are law-abiding would help. I understand the concerns for my safety, the officers safety, the publics safety, et al, but with that said, on a lonely strip of road with no backup and I see an officer in peril, my safety is not going to be my main concern, the officer's will be. JMHO.

Comment

I believe most civilians who are law-abiding would help.
                          Can't fault most of what you say, but you're dead wrong on this. Not just helping cops, but helping each other. People don't want to get involved, or they stand back and wait for someone else to tell them what to do. Few have the combination of bravery and initiative to intervene in someone else's violent encounter.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                            Can't fault most of what you say, but you're dead wrong on this. Not just helping cops, but helping each other. People don't want to get involved, or they stand back and wait for someone else to tell them what to do. Few have the combination of bravery and initiative to intervene in someone else's violent encounter.
                            Interesting, I just had an epiphany .... the story about the NYC native, Kitty Genovese. That part of LE must get old - again my hats off to you guys who stick your neck out for all of us. SMH. It's gotta have its days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4363 users online. 259 members and 4104 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X