Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you noticed an increase in one headlight out?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that you mention it, yes. Then again I went from working days to afternoon/evening shift. I actually see quite a a lot of them. Had your thread in mind tonight and was about to make a stop when I got sent to a call. On that call I saw an SUV approach us with one headlight out, he turned around because we were blocking the street. Handled the call and started to roll out of the area. What do you know, heading right for me, an old SUV with a headlight out. He moved over so I could pass and I stopped next to him and had him roll the window down. Advised the younger gentleman driver that his headlight was out and that he should expect to get stopped tonight should he continue driving. No indication of intoxication and he was surprised by the news.

Long story short. Yep, there's a lot of dead headlights out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapatio View Post
      Now that you mention it, yes. Then again I went from working days to afternoon/evening shift. I actually see quite a a lot of them. Had your thread in mind tonight and was about to make a stop when I got sent to a call. On that call I saw an SUV approach us with one headlight out, he turned around because we were blocking the street. Handled the call and started to roll out of the area. What do you know, heading right for me, an old SUV with a headlight out. He moved over so I could pass and I stopped next to him and had him roll the window down. Advised the younger gentleman driver that his headlight was out and that he should expect to get stopped tonight should he continue driving. No indication of intoxication and he was surprised by the news.

Long story short. Yep, there's a lot of dead headlights out there.
      I actually had started noticing this before mine went out, but when mine went out it kinda brought it all together. I'm gonna try to find out more and I'll post anything I find here.

Comment

http://blog.caranddriver.com/in-79th...ty-headlights/

This is a good starting point, but this is happening to all different types, new and old, foreign and domestic cars.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...problems.shtml

Here's another ... this one a high line.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...hts-fail.shtml

http://www.carsdirect.com/automotive...ads-to-lawsuit
        Last edited by that's my hand; 01-02-2015, 12:36 AM. Reason: added URL's

Comment

I notice lots and lots of headlights out until I want to start making stops for it to get my nose in some cars. Then magically everyone's vehicle seems to be in perfect working order. Drives me nuts some nights.

Comment

One headlight is my favorite violation to stop cars for. Someone above mentioned about the cold weather being a factor for non-LED lights to go out; never thought of that.

Comment

Cheap Chinese Crap, just like almost everything else we buy in America.

Comment

Y'all just realize many newer cars will automatically turn off whichever light is closest to an active turn signal.

Seems I always notice more equipment violations like this on my way home. But one must also be careful to observe the latest technological advances.

Comment

I must be the odd man out. I used to pull over every vehicle with a headlight out I observed. I've pretty much quit doing it; 90% of the time, it amounts to nothing and I don't cite unless they tell me that it's been out for more than a month and they knew about it already.
                  There once was a man who said: "Though,
                  it seems that I know that I know,
                  what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
                  when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    I hear you, but on a slow night, you gotta get into the **** somehow. I never write the ticket unless you're unlicensed. I've locked up quite a few turds after stops for burned out lights. Based on sheer numbers, you're going to find something eventually.
                    I rarely get anything out of the obvious equipment violation stops (such as a headlight out). It's usually a plate light out, a little white light showing through a cracked tail light or a temporary tag improperly displayed in a back window that I get something good. I too used to pull over every vehicle with a headlight or brake light out but I've calmed that down a little. Still, our department likes the numbers so if I'm hurting for t-stops I'll make it.
                    Last edited by Ignite; 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Headlight out = Unlicensed here in CA
                      My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

On a somewhat related note... the headlights in the Explorer, er I mean Interceptor Utility, go out constantly! We must change a bulb every other month. The CV was never like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3956 users online. 231 members and 3725 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X