Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I still want to be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do I still want to be a cop?

    Hello all,

    I'm 22, newly graduated from college, and looking to enter the workforce. For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a cop.

    I chose my degree (political science) partially because I wanted to be a cop. I went through ROTC and into the military as a reservist partially because I wanted to be a cop. I kept my nose clean, made physical fitness a life priority, and did well in school partially because I wanted to be a cop.

    My point is, for the last eight or so years, everything I've done has been preparation for my career as a LEO. Now, I'm on the verge of being offered a position with a great department in Maryland...but I'm not sure I still want to do this job.

    Society is largely turning against the police, you have almost no support in the highest reaches of government, people now believe it's just "ok" to find and kill cops.

    I've always felt called to this career. It's what I banked all of my life on so far, but I'm having a hard time reconciling a reason why I should put my life on the line every day for a public that isn't grateful for that service. Do I really want to go to work every day sitting in my car having to constantly be scanning my surroundings because some punk might decide that he wants to make it on the news today by putting a bullet in my head?

    So that's just kind of a general concern. More specific questions: do y'all think this anti-police attitude will sway back in favor of support for law enforcement any time soon? How do you (and your families) handle rotating shift work in terms of living a relatively normal life (relationships, friendships, social life, etc)? Are you more concerned for your safety now than at any time in your career, or has it been worse before? If you had to go back and do it all over again, would you still become a cop and why?

    As you can imagine, I'll be making the biggest decision of my life (to date) here in about a month or so as long as nothing crazy happens, so I would appreciate any wisdom. Thanks.

  • #2
    Well if you want my honest opinion, you shouldn't be an officer. Not because of things going on but your attitude toward it. Based on your statement and questions you only want to be an officer if it's popular and if people like you.

    The anti-cop attitude has been around for decades. It's only getting media attention right now which makes it look worse than it is. If this was a "calling" for you, none of that matters. The job will never change or peoples perception toward it. We will always be hated by those who break the laws until it's them in trouble. We will always be called names behind our back and thought of as the "enemy".

    Would I still be an officer? Absolutely. It is a calling and regardless of what others think of me and this great profession, I'll always be proud of what I, my family and friends do for a living.

    How do you handle rotating shifts? You just do. It's part of the job just like putting on the uniform and duty belt. It will never be just 9-5 unless you promote into administration. The hours will suck, you will miss birthdays and holidays, work whether it's 10 or 110 outside. Every day is a grand day because you get to serve your community in a way others won't but think they can. No matter the shift, you wake up and drive on. Families adjust to the schedule just as you do.

    I don't fear for my safety any more than I did in the past. Situational awareness is a must no matter what the media says. People have been attacking and shooting officers since the 1800s. We are the symbol of what they hate. We are law and order and the hand of the government to keep the cities and nation safe at home from the criminals and others that wish harm on the innocent.

    So no. If your attitude about the job jumps the fence more than Cowboys fans, this isn't the job for you. If you can look at all those things and still say "this is my future" then by all means, go for it.

    Off my soap box now. I hope you think long and hard about what you truly want to do and for the right reasons.
    Last edited by eaker995; 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do something else. It will be better for you in the long run
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PSU2014 View Post
        Hello all,

        I'm 22, newly graduated from college, and looking to enter the workforce. For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a cop.

        I chose my degree (political science) partially because I wanted to be a cop. I went through ROTC and into the military as a reservist partially because I wanted to be a cop. I kept my nose clean, made physical fitness a life priority, and did well in school partially because I wanted to be a cop.

        My point is, for the last eight or so years, everything I've done has been preparation for my career as a LEO. Now, I'm on the verge of being offered a position with a great department in Maryland...but I'm not sure I still want to do this job.

        Society is largely turning against the police, you have almost no support in the highest reaches of government, people now believe it's just "ok" to find and kill cops.

        I've always felt called to this career. It's what I banked all of my life on so far, but I'm having a hard time reconciling a reason why I should put my life on the line every day for a public that isn't grateful for that service. Do I really want to go to work every day sitting in my car having to constantly be scanning my surroundings because some punk might decide that he wants to make it on the news today by putting a bullet in my head?

        So that's just kind of a general concern. More specific questions: do y'all think this anti-police attitude will sway back in favor of support for law enforcement any time soon? How do you (and your families) handle rotating shift work in terms of living a relatively normal life (relationships, friendships, social life, etc)? Are you more concerned for your safety now than at any time in your career, or has it been worse before? If you had to go back and do it all over again, would you still become a cop and why?

        As you can imagine, I'll be making the biggest decision of my life (to date) here in about a month or so as long as nothing crazy happens, so I would appreciate any wisdom. Thanks.

        I am going to agree with eaker995 and CCCSD 100%

        The job needs your 120% attention and effort. You seem to be a "fair weather" type who only wants the perfect job/profession
        YOU are the reason we tell people not to get a degree in Criminal Justice.........

        It sounds like your life is set WITHOUT a law enforcement job with that political science degree, reservist career and clean record. You can go places in life



        Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
        Well if you want my honest opinion, you shouldn't be an officer. Not because of things going on but your attitude toward it. Based on your statement and questions you only want to be an officer if it's popular and if people like you.

        The anti-cop attitude has been around for decades. It's only getting media attention right now which makes it look worse than it is. If this was a "calling" for you, none of that matters. The job will never change or peoples perception toward it. We will always be hated by those who break the laws until it's them in trouble. We will always be called names behind our back and thought of as the "enemy".

        Would I still be an officer? Absolutely. It is a calling and regardless of what others think of me and this great profession, I'll always be proud of what I, my family and friends do for a living.

        How do you handle rotating shifts? You just do. It's part of the job just like putting on the uniform and duty belt. It will never be just 9-5 unless you promote into administration. The hours will suck, you will miss birthdays and holidays, work whether it's 10 or 110 outside. Every day is a grand day because you get to serve your community in a way others won't but think they can. No matter the shift, you wake up and drive on. Families adjust to the schedule just as you do.

        I don't fear for my safety any more than I did in the past. Situational awareness is a must no matter what the media says. People have been attacking and shooting officers since the 1800s. We are the symbol of what they hate. We are law and order and the hand of the government to keep the cities and nation safe at home from the criminals and others that wish harm on the innocent.

        So no. If your attitude about the job jumps the fence more than Cowboys fans, this isn't the job for you. If you can look at all those things and still say "this is my future" then by all means, go for it.

        Off my soap box now. I hope you think long and hard about what you truly want to do and for the right reasons.
        Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Do something else. It will be better for you in the long run
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #5
          I appreciate the comments and criticisms.

          Reading your comments it would seem like a straight-forward easy answer. "The kid's attitude, based on his statements, shows a lack of 120% commitment to this career and therefore he cannot be a police officer." I'm a very type A person, I think about every major decision for days/weeks/months, I think about every angle and pro/con, I consult everyone I can think of (including this forum) to gain further perspective...I assure you I've thought long and hard about this.

          With all that said, is it not normal to have doubts a decision with so many variables as this? You have to understand that I've spent the entirety of close to a decade preparing to do this job; it's all I've ever wanted to do. How do I completely disregard my dream...what I've felt called to do for so long just that easily.

          Yes I'm concerned about what the schedule would do to my family life. I'm a family oriented person, always have been, and being a good husband/father/brother/son is what's most important to me. By all means if one's family cannot be a priority in the life of a LEO, then I guess this isn't the career for me, but I find that hard to believe.

          Honestly, I really don't care what people think about me, I never thought joining the thin blue line would get people to like me...not that naive. And yes if I choose to do something else, I'll probably be able to find something given my background. However, to me that would be akin to starting over from scratch since I really have no idea what else I'd do...the military and law enforcement is all I've ever been interested in.

          My attitude towards the job has remained steadfast...I respect the hell out of what cops do and whether I become one or not that won't change. It's my attitude toward DOING the job that, being very real given this offer, has changed from full-fledged excitement to questioning whether this is a really the career for me.

          Hopefully that makes some sense.

          Comment


          • #6
            Also for clarification, after all the interviews I've done they always ask why you want to do the job, my answer is always the same: I enjoy helping people, I'm not cut out for a normal desk job (I know, I've had one), the variety of the day-to-day experience appeals to me, it fits my personality.

            Are these the wrong reasons?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PSU2014 View Post
              I appreciate the comments and criticisms.

              Reading your comments it would seem like a straight-forward easy answer. "The kid's attitude, based on his statements, shows a lack of 120% commitment to this career and therefore he cannot be a police officer." I'm a very type A person, I think about every major decision for days/weeks/months, I think about every angle and pro/con, I consult everyone I can think of (including this forum) to gain further perspective...I assure you I've thought long and hard about this.

              With all that said, is it not normal to have doubts a decision with so many variables as this? You have to understand that I've spent the entirety of close to a decade preparing to do this job; it's all I've ever wanted to do. How do I completely disregard my dream...what I've felt called to do for so long just that easily.

              Yes I'm concerned about what the schedule would do to my family life. I'm a family oriented person, always have been, and being a good husband/father/brother/son is what's most important to me. By all means if one's family cannot be a priority in the life of a LEO, then I guess this isn't the career for me, but I find that hard to believe.

              Honestly, I really don't care what people think about me, I never thought joining the thin blue line would get people to like me...not that naive. And yes if I choose to do something else, I'll probably be able to find something given my background. However, to me that would be akin to starting over from scratch since I really have no idea what else I'd do...the military and law enforcement is all I've ever been interested in.

              My attitude towards the job has remained steadfast...I respect the hell out of what cops do and whether I become one or not that won't change.
              Hopefully that makes some sense.
              That entire passage is nothing but blowing smoke up someone's arse

              Originally posted by PSU2014 View Post
              It's my attitude toward DOING the job that, being very real given this offer, has changed from full-fledged excitement to questioning whether this is a really the career for me.
              THAT is what we are questioning

              Your attitude toward questioning if the career is for you is why we feel you should find another area of interest.

              Policing is not for you


              Originally posted by PSU2014 View Post
              Also for clarification, after all the interviews I've done they always ask why you want to do the job, my answer is always the same: I enjoy helping people, I'm not cut out for a normal desk job (I know, I've had one), the variety of the day-to-day experience appeals to me, it fits my personality.

              Are these the wrong reasons?
              Those are the answers you are giving so they are yours-------------own them


              They are also the answers we here day after day after day when interviewing new candidates

              Nothing new or exciting there
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #8
                So in order to successfully be a cop, you have to unwaveringly believe 100% that the career is for you, that belief can never change, and you can have no doubts whatsoever? Anything less than that and a person should pursue a different career...that the gist of it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a wife and 2 kids. Family is important but they understand the job like I do. They know I can't always be there and they adapt. I spent close to 6 years on night shift, sleeping during the day, before I got a decent shift I'm on now. They adapt and support.

                  It is normal to consider pros and cons but if you fear watching your back for someone out to hurt you, why also join the reserves or is that something you think you may not want to do now too?

                  All these things said are things to consider. Don't get butt hurt because you posted your questions on a forum to ask for input. We will all be honest in our opinions that YOU ASKED FOR. Take them or not. It doesn't change my views in the profession and why I do it.

                  Most officers are a type A personality. It's very hard to be in this line of work without one. With that, though, comes assessing dangers and being prepared for it, not turning you back and running.

                  I never had a doubt about what I wanted to do. I considered the negatives and decided " oh well". You can't change them but if this is what you want to do you avocet the negatives as well as the positives. You don't let the negatives change your mind.

                  Your answer to "why you want to do the job" are your own. I won't tell you if they are right or wrong. They are your own reasons just as mine are my own.

                  Finally, I still stand by my original post that you are not ready for this job if you question what it takes. Until you can look at the dangers in the eye and face them down, until you can be there for your partner no matter what is going on whether it be a drunk or a fight or a gun, then you need to look elsewhere and get experience. The same goes for the military. Both professions are the same when it comes to the negatives you worry about. What "shift" do you think you will have to work off in a foreign land, how many people will want to walk up and put a bullet in your head while you are there? Many of us here chewed that dirt too and that's why we are where we are now. We know the sacrifices and are willing to take them.

                  There is no shame in discovering this job isn't for you. Even if you've spent your whole life going this way, it's not for everyone. You may end up in a very lucrative job, buying 2 cars cause you want to and go to all your kids' football games. There are literally millions of people in the same boat. I knew I wanted to be here since I was a kid too. I joined the Army and became an MP (as a Reservist), deployed twice and lost many friends. I took extra law enforcement training provided by the Army. I went into Corrections and even worked security for a nuclear plant before I got to where I am now. I never gave up and never questioned.

                  Time for you to sit and think. What are you going to do? It's not about us, this is all you at this moment. I don't expect an answer here since you should have a nice long think on it and do some soul searching.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PSU2014 View Post
                    So in order to successfully be a cop, you have to unwaveringly believe 100% that the career is for you, that belief can never change, and you can have no doubts whatsoever? Anything less than that and a person should pursue a different career...that the gist of it?
                    My original post was not because of doubts. It's the reasons for those doubts. You appear to be bowing to the media and what's "unpopular" at the moment on social media and some cities. THAT is the reason I say you aren't ready. The public should not effect how you feel about the profession. Only your own concerns of money, family, education, and career should cause you pause. Otherwise yes, 100%.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
                      There is no shame in discovering this job isn't for you. Even if you've spent your whole life going this way, it's not for everyone. You may end up in a very lucrative job, buying 2 cars cause you want to and go to all your kids' football games. There are literally millions of people in the same boat. I knew I wanted to be here since I was a kid too. I joined the Army and became an MP (as a Reservist), deployed twice and lost many friends. I took extra law enforcement training provided by the Army. I went into Corrections and even worked security for a nuclear plant before I got to where I am now. I never gave up and never questioned.
                      .
                      I have sat down with numerous probationary officers near the end of probation and discussed the merits of them continuing employment. Some have continued, some have found other employment and some ended up being terminated later.

                      The job is not for everyone ---------------and it is NOT for someone who is waffling about the pro's and con's of the profession. If you haven't made the decision that you are willing to take the risks and put up with the crap you WILL take over the next two or three decades of your life, you don't belong taking up a space in the academy.

                      i really don't care one way or the other what you decide. YOU are the one that needs to make your choice. you asked our opinion and I gave you mine
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
                        I have a wife and 2 kids. Family is important but they understand the job like I do. They know I can't always be there and they adapt. I spent close to 6 years on night shift, sleeping during the day, before I got a decent shift I'm on now. They adapt and support.

                        It is normal to consider pros and cons but if you fear watching your back for someone out to hurt you, why also join the reserves or is that something you think you may not want to do now too?

                        All these things said are things to consider. Don't get butt hurt because you posted your questions on a forum to ask for input. We will all be honest in our opinions that YOU ASKED FOR. Take them or not. It doesn't change my views in the profession and why I do it.

                        Most officers are a type A personality. It's very hard to be in this line of work without one. With that, though, comes assessing dangers and being prepared for it, not turning you back and running.

                        I never had a doubt about what I wanted to do. I considered the negatives and decided " oh well". You can't change them but if this is what you want to do you avocet the negatives as well as the positives. You don't let the negatives change your mind.

                        Your answer to "why you want to do the job" are your own. I won't tell you if they are right or wrong. They are your own reasons just as mine are my own.

                        Finally, I still stand by my original post that you are not ready for this job if you question what it takes. Until you can look at the dangers in the eye and face them down, until you can be there for your partner no matter what is going on whether it be a drunk or a fight or a gun, then you need to look elsewhere and get experience. The same goes for the military. Both professions are the same when it comes to the negatives you worry about. What "shift" do you think you will have to work off in a foreign land, how many people will want to walk up and put a bullet in your head while you are there? Many of us here chewed that dirt too and that's why we are where we are now. We know the sacrifices and are willing to take them.

                        There is no shame in discovering this job isn't for you. Even if you've spent your whole life going this way, it's not for everyone. You may end up in a very lucrative job, buying 2 cars cause you want to and go to all your kids' football games. There are literally millions of people in the same boat. I knew I wanted to be here since I was a kid too. I joined the Army and became an MP (as a Reservist), deployed twice and lost many friends. I took extra law enforcement training provided by the Army. I went into Corrections and even worked security for a nuclear plant before I got to where I am now. I never gave up and never questioned.

                        Time for you to sit and think. What are you going to do? It's not about us, this is all you at this moment. I don't expect an answer here since you should have a nice long think on it and do some soul searching.

                        I know you didn't want a response right away, but I wanted to clarify a few things. First, please recognize the difference between my taking offense (which isn't happening), and my frustration over being told to throw away my life's dream on a whim...I really do appreciate the input, that is after all why I posted this question.

                        I'm already in the reserves, I'm actually at my branch qualification school right now...I graduate in February. Should I be called to deploy, I am fully ready and willing to do so. Why would I join during a time of war if I wasn't? Just because I haven't been in those situations yet, doesn't mean my concerns aren't valid. That is, simply put, my point. I like to think that when I deploy, and when my convoy comes under fire, I will be ready to stand up next to my comrades and fight. In the same way, I like to think that as a cop, I will be ready to back up my partner and fight back in whatever scenario could arise. In my mind I'm ready for that, but not having experienced it yet, what do you want me to tell you?

                        I think the statement that both professions are the same in their negatives is a bit off though. I love the military, have loved every second I've spent in it. I was offered an active duty slot in essentially the branch of my choice, I turned it down...to be a cop. Hence my frustration. In conclusion, no one knows how they will respond in any given situation until they're in that situation. I posted here hoping for the benefit of the doubt, given my career choices and interests. If I was afraid of the fight, I'd be working behind a desk. That's not me and that's not what I want. Regardless, I believe my concerns are still valid and that's why I'm considering all the variables before I make this decision. That said, thank you for your comments, I will think on them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          I have sat down with numerous probationary officers near the end of probation and discussed the merits of them continuing employment. Some have continued, some have found other employment and some ended up being terminated later.

                          The job is not for everyone ---------------and it is NOT for someone who is waffling about the pro's and con's of the profession. If you haven't made the decision that you are willing to take the risks and put up with the crap you WILL take over the next two or three decades of your life, you don't belong taking up a space in the academy.

                          i really don't care one way or the other what you decide. YOU are the one that needs to make your choice. you asked our opinion and I gave you mine


                          Interesting that you're turning this into an argument somehow. I'd think the older generations would want the younger ones to think a little more carefully about the decisions they make to make sure the right people are doing the job, but I digress. Anyway, thank you for your opinion also, I will think on it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think that you should digest the answers my colleagues gave you and put some dedicated thought into what they are telling you. If you have a calling for this type of work then you can't NOT be a police officer. Some of us were born for this. It may sound corny but its true. If you can live happily without it, them you probably should look at other options.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There we go. I like those answers. Shows you are willing to discuss rationally and not give in to frustrations ( another characteristic you'd need to have in this profession). No matter how frustrated you get, the professionalism still needs to outshine.

                              Both professions are very much the same. I've done both for some time now as many others have. The sacrifices required, the threat of violence and not coming home, the separation from family whether it's by distance or time as you sleep. The military serves for war, the police serve for peace. Since the military can not act on US soil outside an armed insurrection or foreign threat, it is us who must defend the nation at home. They are very similar.

                              I can understand frustration but also hear what we are saying. If you came here saying how you are questioning if this is the right decision for your family due to finances, travel, moving, etc, you would have received different responses. What you came with, though, is questioning due to anti-cop sentiment in the public, the fear of watching your back while on patrol. Those are the "doubts" that those of us here so far have been referring to. What does it matter what the media or the CopBlockers think? What does it matter that you may not come home since that has ALWAYS been a factor in our job? Of course we worry about coming home too but it doesn't make us question the job, it makes is aware of what's around us so we can come home. Your decision on whether or not to serve shouldn't be based on if FOX will come knocking at your door for a statement on an arrest you had to taze someone. You should be able to look that camera and public in the eye and say you did your job and pull up your belt and go back to work. When you let the media, politicians, and a small number of the public sway your opinion, you aren't ready. Take a guess of how often you are told in a jail or from someone you cuff that they "will get you", "I know where you live", "where you picked on in high school", and many many other disparing remakes. You brush them off an move on.

                              I'm glad you have decided to fight us a little bit on this. Shows more about you then you have shown so far. Shake off the news, the Facebook, the anti-cops out there and get your butt the career you've been wanting. Your family can and will adjust. If they can't, then decide if it's right for you and your family.
                              Last edited by eaker995; 12-29-2014, 07:53 PM. Reason: I hate auto correct.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3150 users online. 154 members and 2996 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X