Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a concern to me?

Hello everyone,

I have a few concerns whether my following questions will be a concern of mine during the background investigation phase with a Police Department.
    I'm 19 years old and I'm a full time college student. Lately, my father brought up this subject about opening a business in my name, presumably a rental car business or something. He said I do not need to work there or anything, it's just he'll open the business in my name and he'll deal with the customers and all that. Now my question is, will this be a concern to me during the BI phase? I will surely disclose everything, but how do I disclose information about the business if I have never worked there before or interacted with any customers? Maybe I'm stressing myself out here, it's just I thought it would be a good idea to ask this question before opening the business so I could know what to do or document so I could provide the necessary information to my BI when I apply for the PD in the next 5 years or so.

Thank you very much for your time reading through my message, and I wish you all a merry Christmas. Stay safe everyone.

If I were doing the BI, I would wonder why you would be the in name only, owner of a business. While there may be a couple of legitimate reasons to go this route, I cannot think of any

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Why would your father do that?

Why would he not use his own name?

Bankruptcy? Fraud? Money laundering?

If he filed bankruptcy or has creditors and is trying to avoid then or get loans for the new business by pretending to be you that's potentially several types of felony fraud. Possibly even federal felonies.

If you know why and consent potentially you could be an accessory.

I'd be more concerned about why your dad is using your name but won't use his own.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
        Why would your father do that?

Why would he not use his own name?

Bankruptcy? Fraud? Money laundering?

If he filed bankruptcy or has creditors and is trying to avoid then or get loans for the new business by pretending to be you that's potentially several types of felony fraud. Possibly even federal felonies.

If you know why and consent potentially you could be an accessory.

I'd be more concerned about why your dad is using your name but won't use his own.
        ^^^^^^ Read all of that again

i would tell dad no------------------especially if you are planning a career in law enforcment
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Based on your life history, I have SEVERE concerns about him, not you.
          I'm just going to leave it at that...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm sorry if this sounds confusing, because I'm confused as well.... I'm not very knowledgeable in these kind of things... I hope this clarifies it a bit:
            My family and I traveled to the U.S. from a foreign country. My father used to work as an IT Manager for a hospital but he left and came here to the U.S. a few months ago to start fresh. My father came to the U.S. along with my family with an F1 Visa which is a student visa. He was accepted into a university here in Houston and he's in the MBA program, studying business and all that. He came up with the idea of establishing a business so we could have some income, we do not have any income and we're spending money from our savings.My father tried to find a job while studying, but he couldn't since he doesn't have a green card or citizenship and he must be enrolled in school full time. He said it's necessary to generate some income and at least work so we can afford to live here in the U.S., because my whole family is here (I have 3 brothers - we're 4 boys) and so he could spend money on our education etc... My father tried to establish a business since he still has some money in his savings account, but he couldn't unless he's a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident - as far as I know. So since I'm a U.S. citizen, he thought it would be a good idea to open the business in my name with my information, so he could get it running and interact with the customers so he could generate some money and some income for us. Of course, everything is going to be in my name so I'll have to pay the taxes and everything. He doesn't want me to work because he wants me to focus on my studies and he said it's a better idea for him to work half time in the business to generate money for us.
            I hope this makes sense... And sorry for all this confusion and I'll be more than glad to receive more feedback and advice.

Comment

Well, I was going to impart some sage words of wisdom to you, however my colleagues have more than answered your question.
              Read and re-read their replies. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Talal View Post
                Th My father came to the U.S. along with my family with an F1 Visa which is a student visa. He was accepted into a university here in Houston and he's in the MBA program, studying business and all that. He came up with the idea of establishing a business so we could have some income, we do not have any income and we're spending money from our savings..
                That would be a violation of his visa and grounds for deportation.

You allowing it KNOWINGLY would probably constitute a felony.

i don't see where that is confusing.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

@ Iowa, thank you sir for your reply. I'm really worried about this, and yes I'm determined to start a career in law enforcement... I didn't know that it is a crime to do so, so I apologize for my ignorance and lack of knowledge... I do not want my father to violate any contract which results in his deportation or me being prosecuted... I'm sorry if I'm asking too much here, but can anyone please tell me what's the wisest thing to do? Do I just tell him "no" citing that it would violate his visa contract? I'm really worried about this issue...

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience...

Comment

Originally posted by Talal View Post
                    Do I just tell him "no" citing that it would violate his visa contract? I'm really worried about this issue...
                    That is what I would do

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      That is what I would do
                      Thank you for your honest reply... I'm thankful for everyone's honest and informative replies, thank you very much.

I will tell him that and say that it might get him deported and me prosecuted... I will not have my father jeoprodize his life or mine, and I will also let him read the replies given by you guys. Thank you very much.

Comment

im alittle tired and maybe im missing something or misread it.

"My family and I traveled to the U.S. from a foreign country. My father used to work as an IT Manager for a hospital but he left and came here to the U.S. a few months ago to start fresh. My father came to the U.S. along with my family with an F1 Visa which is a student visa."

Then this maybe where you lost me

"My father tried to establish a business since he still has some money in his savings account, but he couldn't unless he's a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident - as far as I know. So since I'm a U.S. citizen,"

If you just arrived here a few months ago with your family how are you a US Citizen and your father not ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                          im alittle tired and maybe im missing something or misread it.

"My family and I traveled to the U.S. from a foreign country. My father used to work as an IT Manager for a hospital but he left and came here to the U.S. a few months ago to start fresh. My father came to the U.S. along with my family with an F1 Visa which is a student visa."

Then this maybe where you lost me

"My father tried to establish a business since he still has some money in his savings account, but he couldn't unless he's a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident - as far as I know. So since I'm a U.S. citizen,"

If you just arrived here a few months ago with your family how are you a US Citizen and your father not ?
                          I apologize for not being detailed enough. I'm a U.S. citizen because I was born in the U.S. whilst my parents were studying here. My father studied for his bachelors, masters then PHD in the U.S. and I have lived in the U,S, for 7 years since I was born, but my parents and I traveled back to our country so my father can work. I graduated high school from Saudi Arabia then came here to Houston in June because I want to continue my college education in the U.S. and ultimately live and work here. My family followed me later on and came to the U.S in August this year. My father left his job and came here to the U.S. to study for his MBA and obtain experience in business and ultimately work and live here as well. I'm sorry for the confusion, once again.

Comment

Ah, that actually makes a little more sense. If your story is as you say, then I applaud your father's industriousness.

YOU starting a business as owner and hiring your father as an employee may be OK. Hire him as the general manager or something. Don't just let your father do everything, you have to be able to show that YOU are legitimately the owner, and there's a fine line between doing this legitimately and fraudulently.

You'd best check with a lawyer to make sure you're complying with the requirements of his visa but there should be a way to work something like that out. Student visa holders can work part time, not sure of the number of hours.
                            Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-24-2014, 05:26 PM.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

http://www.internationalstudentinsur...rtunities.html
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-24-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5945 users online. 296 members and 5649 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X