300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How early should I start applying?

I graduate from college this summer with a bachelors but I won't turn 21 until this november. I know a lot of departments let you apply when you're 20 but how early is too early? Should I go ahead and start throwing out apps since I'll be out of school in 6 months?

I applied to my first agency at 20 as a cadet. Since I was due to be 21 prior to completion, I was bumped up to officer and put through the full academy.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

My first hiring took maybe 2 months, my last about 5. I would say about 6 months out. A department should be willing to work with you on a start date if it's going to be close.

That said, there are very few 21 year old cops, although I have known a few. Start planning on getting another job that you won't mind leaving when you get the call. Build a good work history and volunteer. Look into local departments with auxiliary programs, that's how I got my start and it helped show that I had some basic knowledge of Law Enforcement and was serious about the career. Just a few tidbits for thought. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5487 users online. 323 members and 5164 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X