300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education Path to Climb the ranks?

I'm 19 years old and very interested in joining the NYPD (Although right now is probably not the greatest timing). I would like to climb the ranks as far as possible with the NYPD. I currently go to Baruch College in NYC and major in accounting, but have no passion for it. I was wondering if anyone could offer me an educational path which would make myself very marketable in the NYPD, as someone who could rise to the top. My current plan was to change my major to public affairs with a minor in mathematics (As Baruch offers a very reputable public affairs program and I find it very interesting) after receiving a bachelors in public affairs I plan to acquire a masters in criminal justice from John Jay and after completing this then attain a law degree. Any thoughts on this plan? Any suggestion? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The best way to climb the ranks is by being a good cop.

Learn the job, learn how to do it correctly, get a reputation of making good decisions and stay out of trouble.

You will move up ---------------
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

How are you paying for all of that education? If you are going to law school, why bother with the grad degree?

Comment

Public Affairs is a good start. Education is always good.
        One thing I would suggest is keep your opinions to yourself. In the academy and after. You never know who is connected to whom. I say this from experience, mistakes I've made.
        I always recommend a second or third language.
        Be careful who you date. The wrong person can ruin your career.
        As noted above, build a solid reputation as a street cop.
        Good Luck to you.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          The best way to climb the ranks is by being a good cop.
          ...and to be good at making connections. Sometimes donations.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

All of the advice you have been given is useful. First of all being a good street cop will earn you respect throughout the ranks.A good educational background will serve you well as you progress upward, and good connections will help you out tremendously. The higher you go the more political the game becomes. Above all else keep your integrity. That too becomes harder as you progress up the food chain.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              ...and to be good at making connections. .
              In some places you also need a good set of knee pads-----------------but that is a whole nuther thread

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              .... Sometimes donations.
              A Sheriff's department near me had a Captain Cash, and a Major Money-------------don't even ask what they called the Chief Deputy
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Will_cadet View Post
                I'm 19 years old and very interested in joining the NYPD (Although right now is probably not the greatest timing). I would like to climb the ranks as far as possible with the NYPD. I currently go to Baruch College in NYC and major in accounting, but have no passion for it. I was wondering if anyone could offer me an educational path which would make myself very marketable in the NYPD, as someone who could rise to the top. My current plan was to change my major to public affairs with a minor in mathematics (As Baruch offers a very reputable public affairs program and I find it very interesting) after receiving a bachelors in public affairs I plan to acquire a masters in criminal justice from John Jay and after completing this then attain a law degree. Any thoughts on this plan? Any suggestion? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
                The educational requirement to make it to Captain (the highest civil service rank) is a BA/BS. Whether you have a PhD in CJ or a BA in Basketweaving is irrelevant to obtain that rank. Beyond that level, it's 100% political (discretionary, not exam based) where the best man or woman does not necessarily get the promotion. While advanced degrees surely help, there is no magic bullet. 90% of it will be dictated by job performance, not your education. John Jay is great for grad school. I'm doing my MPA there. It's also very affordable (relatively) and I caution you against law school unless you can do so without loans. The NYPD has tons of ex-lawyers in all ranks who will tell you the same. It also is no more beneficial as far as moving up as an MA/MS/MPA. If law really floats your boat, we have department scholarships that cover some of the cost but still leave you with most of the bill (check out the link in my signature), but any of those scholarships are several+ years away for you.

Rank wise, if you happen to hit all 3 tests right (very rare) and score at the top of each of them (even rarer) you won't be a Captain until 10 years minimum...though more likely closer to 15, since the frequency of exams above sergeant is about once every 4-5 years. There are also many reasons never to go above LT, but that is neither here nor there.

TL;DR: Get an MA/MS/MPA, skip law school, learn the job and don't be a bag of sh*t, study hard for promotion when you're eligible. The rest is a total crapshoot.
                Last edited by DigitalFrenchie; 12-18-2014, 01:27 PM.
                sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Most of you say it's a lot about connections (Which I somewhat expected, as I have family working port authority), so my question is what can I do to increase these connections now? An education in public affairs may provide me internships with elected officials, no? Thanks again.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Most of you say it's a lot about connections (Which I somewhat expected, as I have family working port authority), so my question is what can I do to increase these connections now? An education in public affairs may provide me internships with elected officials, no? Thanks again.
                    Why don't you just get hired and become a cop before you worry about how to screw the system into promoting you beyond your knowledge?

Comment

This is mind blowing. Why anyone would answer this guys question is beyond me.

Start with getting hired.

Then after you do some time as a police officer you can determine if you even want to get promoted.

There is a lot to be said for doing 8 hours and being worried about your actions and performance. There are plenty of days going 8 hours worrying about 6-10 other peoples actions and performance is not fun.

I would only ask WHY do you want to go through the ranks? Think you can bring positive change? Need the extra money? POWER TRIP?

Comment

No. Not those types of connections. Listen. Your heart is in the right place, but you're looking at this all wrong. The advice below, from everyone, is on point and all you need to know regarding your police career. There is nothing else to know, trust us. We've been around the block.

I speak from experience when it comes to the NYPD, and you will not get clearer advice than than thread. Just remember, have a backup plan. You're not a cop yet, and there's no guarantee you ever will be. Keep your nose clean and go with the flow. You're already miles ahead of most who desire an LE career.
                        sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                        DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                          This is mind blowing. Why anyone would answer this guys question is beyond me.

Start with getting hired.

Then after you do some time as a police officer you can determine if you even want to get promoted.

There is a lot to be said for doing 8 hours and being worried about your actions and performance. There are plenty of days going 8 hours worrying about 6-10 other peoples actions and performance is not fun.

I would only ask WHY do you want to go through the ranks? Think you can bring positive change? Need the extra money? POWER TRIP?
                          Amen..

When you decide that you want to take the path of the "brass ring" you need to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. It's a lonely road which often comes with a lot of sacrifice. Assignment... Schedule... Seniority... All can get thrown out the window, all like you are starting over again....which in a way you are. I have had many friends see what I have gone through in the name of rank and decided that they want no part.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4928 users online. 330 members and 4598 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X