300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Demotion

Is it common (or even permissible) for an officer to take a demotion voluntarily? For example: a LT or HR director wants to go back to working as rank and file patrol officer.

It's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
      Is it common (or even permissible) for an officer to take a demotion voluntarily? For example: a LT or HR director wants to go back to working as rank and file patrol officer.
      I wouldn't say it is "common" but it happens more than once in a while.

About 5 yrs before I retired, I was ' ' that close to busting back to Officer from Lieutenant.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Voluntary Demotion

I have known a few that have voluntarily demoted. One was a Lieutenant a couple of suburbs north of me. His doctor told him that the stress of the Lieutenant job was pushing his blood pressure through the roof. He volunteered to go back to Sergeant and is much healthier and happier.

A Deputy from the next county west of me made Sergeant. He decided that he really didn't like the work supervising others others. He went back to being a plain old Deputy Sheriff in Civil Process.

A gal I know two suburbs west of me made Sergeant. She decided that she missed being a cop and went back to that. It isn't for everybody.

I know a former Police Chief who retired, then got divorced, so he put in for Deputy Sheriff. He now claims that is the best job. He said he just wants to put it his time each day and then go home.

While the Investigator slot may, or may not, be a promotion, depending on the agency, it, too, is not for everybody. It seems to be sort of a mixed bag of the folks I know that do, or did, that. Some can't get back to patrol quick enough and others can't seem to get enough. It, obviously, depend on a lot of factors.

For whatever it is worth, I have known a number of people that said Sergeant was the best job they ever had. Some will never go any higher than that because they don't want what comes with promotion. Others promote, regret it, but are so desperate for the money that they stay and are miserable.

Comment

Not common, but yes, it happens.

Comment

I know a couple of folks who have demoted. I kind of looked at them funny after they did it but, whatever floats their boat.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Our rank structure is divided into two categories, merit and appointed. Merit rank stops at captain. Appointed ranks (majors on up) are not permanent ranks, they select a lieutenant or captain and promote him to the appointed rank. The appointed rank can be revoked at any time and can also be voluntarily given up, and you'll go back to LT or CPT, whichever you where before. There's a lot of churning sometimes.

I don't know if you can voluntarily go back from LT to SGT or SGT to PTL. I never considered it. Our pension is based on a 3rd year PTL salary regardless of actual rank though, so I can see the appeal for someone who's over it and close to retirement.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In a 15 yr career I've only known one that did it--Sgt to Officer. He made Sgt, didn't like and went back to patrol. No one thought any less of him.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  Our pension is based on a 3rd year PTL salary regardless of actual rank though, so I can see the appeal for someone who's over it and close to retirement.
                  We have a 3 yr average too................................Since Lt and above are not eligible for overtime and the salary spread isn't all that great-----MANY and I repeat MANY officers were able make way more $$$$ via overtime than the salaried supervisors.

We had a change in leadership at the Central Office (statehouse level) which really changed the way the entire agency was ran....that filtered down to the local institution level and ended up with my department head taking early retirement..............his replacement and I had history from before (write this down ----be careful who you pizz off a low levels because at some point in time they may be your boss)

I seriously considered busting down-----but I decided in the end to push on & retired on 3rd shift out of the spotlight. Even that was hard and I hated my job for the last 4 yrs.

Over the years at the penitentiary I knew several who promoted and found the job not to their liking. The stress bounced several back to minion status.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Before I made lieutenant I considered giving up my rank. I was very unhappy at my assignment and wanted to work warrants. A friend of mine talked me out of it. My current assignment can be very stressful, however I get to make a positive difference for the deputies who work under me, so I'm happy with that.

Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      We have a 3 yr average too.
                      We don't have a 3 year average. EVERYONE's pension is based on the base salary of a 3rd year patrolman. It doesn't matter if your retire as a patrolman or an assistant chief or if you had eleventy bajillion hours of overtime, your pension is 50% of a 3rd year patrolman's base salary plus an additional percentage based on years of service beyond 20.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                        We don't have a 3 year average. EVERYONE's pension is based on the base salary of a 3rd year patrolman. It doesn't matter if your retire as a patrolman or an assistant chief or if you had eleventy bajillion hours of overtime, your pension is 50% of a 3rd year patrolman's base salary plus an additional percentage based on years of service beyond 20.
                        oh that sucks

We have a high 3 yr average & OT counts. But it is a state based retirement system for all public workers. Police have a special service early retirement and can get out at 60% after 22 yrs with a sliding 1.5% increase to 30 yrs with 72%

Non special services members (teachers, snow plow drivers etc) are at rule of 88 with 65%

Comment

I knew several who demoted themselves. Of course the Chief demotes a few just to keep everyone else in line.

The ones who should be demoted just lingers on until retirement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3296 users online. 164 members and 3132 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X