300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do YOU serve?

What makes you come to work everyday (besides supporting yourself/family?) Why did you want to become a LEO? Why protect and serve a society that is ungrateful to LEOs?

I've always wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid. I've been volunteering with my local PD as an Explorer since high school. I'm turning 21 next year and have had second thoughts every now and again about joining, but I respect the profession and it's men and women who serve.

It's a call to duty, something that I can't quantify but feel as a personal obligation.

Also, it's fun. I get to work outdoors - I would much rather work in the rain than an air-conditioned office. (Heat waves are best - give me 95 degrees and everything is great.). I get to fly an airplane, drive a fast car or a 4x4, get paid to shoot and don't have to buy ammo.

Cops, soldiers, firemen and pilots are the people who grew up to do the job they dreamed about as kids.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Take another good, long , look at my colleague's thoughts in Post #2. They really say it all. Sounds like you may have a choice to make. There is nothing wrong should you decide to choose a profession other than law enforcement. Best of luck.

Comment

It needs to be done, I'm good at it, and I've been bored with most other things I tried. Its also one of the last gigs out there with a pension and I don't want to work until I die.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I don't understand the question... what else would I do when there's no football on?

Comment

The paycheck.

Comment

I've worn a uniform just about my entire adult life; I simply don't know how to do anything else. That said, what we do matters.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I posted this question on another LE forum and sadly only got 2 replies. For those interested, I posted their responses below.

1st Reply:
                My dad is a fed and that's my ultimate goal. I am the kind if person who hates seeing things and not helping. If a neighbor broke his leg, I'll shovel his driveway. I don't need recognition and I am a believer in pay it forward. We, as humanity, need to work together to make everyone's lives better. My father is a huge inspiration for my ideals.

Most people I cite or arrest I look at as people who just made a mistake. We all do to some degree, it doesn't make them "bad". It makes them human. That being said, there are some crimes I don't see redemption for (rape, murder, child abuse, elder abuse, and white collar crimes) simply because there are no valid excuses for them. None.

My inspiration for my work is my family first, my community, and just morality in general. Cops have a unique job and unique opportunities to help people, and that should always be our main mission.
                2nd Reply:
                To help people and lock up badguys" is a pretty standard answer. I have to admit that it still rings true despite the passing years.

Comment

The guy who gave your first replay needs to lateral over to social work. He looks at people breaking the law as just making mistakes? Riiiiiiiiiight. They just accidentally stole, used meth, drove drunk, forged a check. But white collar crimes are always intentional and unredeemable?

Talk about living in a fantasy world. He'll be a chief someday. Or assigned to persecute local real cops by the DOJ.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    It's a call to duty, something that I can't quantify but feel as a personal obligation.

Also, it's fun. I get to work outdoors - I would much rather work in the rain than an air-conditioned office. (Heat waves are best - give me 95 degrees and everything is great.). I get to fly an airplane, drive a fast car or a 4x4, get paid to shoot and don't have to buy ammo.

Cops, soldiers, firemen and pilots are the people who grew up to do the job they dreamed about as kids.
                    Damn Brother that's perfect
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I will say that I don't like bullies, and I don't like children not feeling safe in their own homes and play grounds. When I hear sirens or see something going down, where everyone runs away, I have always ran towards it. I have this "protect" in me. I am beaten down with all thats going on in NY and everyone chanting for the deaths of my Brothers& Sisters, but some how someone picks me up every shift.

Post two was dead as- accurate. To add, we have something in us that made us chose this. When I am away on vacation all that burned out feelings gone, and I am ready to saddle up again. However being a Cop doesn't Define Me, and its not the coolest thing about me. It's a part of me, but not me. One day if you get on remember that.
                      Last edited by jcioccke; 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM.
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I love helping people and get paid pretty good with pretty good benefits. Also there's no other type of job like this, you never know what kind of stuff you'll get in on any given day.

Comment

A ride along in Orange County California while in the last few months of my USMC enlistment started the fire, especially since I had no idea before what I was going to do when I was getting out. It provided me the excitement to maintain my interest and fulfilled my call to duty. The side benefits were that I got to drive and drive fast and I also got to carry a gun.

Comment

Because firefighters need heroes, too.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                              Because firefighters need heroes, too.

Best answer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3769 users online. 220 members and 3549 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X