Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYC Corporate Accounting Job to Law Enforcement?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Corporate Accounting Job to Law Enforcement?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site (and a LE forum in general). I just wanted to get some feedback on a thought I've been having and I haven't been able to shake it. I'm a CPA...turning 26 in one month. I'm from LI and do the drone commute everyday into NYC and work 80 hours a week. I feel very accomplished being so young and having a great job and being a CPA, but I only feel accomplished from what I have achieved (if that makes sense). My job itself is not fulfilling and is pretty dry and dull and I often daydream of being in LE. I feel like I make zero difference in society. My best friend is NYPD and loves it, my GF's dad is MTAPD 30+ years and she comes from a family of police officers. I feel like it's a great job that can make me feel like I've accomplished something at the end of the day. I know there are holidays and weekends (and the danger), but it's something I really can't stop thinking of. I took the NYPD exam and got a 98...not sure if that score matters or not (I've heard nypd doesn't care about scores, just passing). I always keep my nose clean...clean record, no dwi etc. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Do you think I'd regret switching careers and taking the pay cut? I also want to be able to provide for my family (not sure how top pay is w/OT)...my friend is in midtown south and said with top pay and OT he'd be at 120k.

I've always been told "if you be a cop you'll be poor", "nobody likes cops" etc. and i've always pushed it to the back of my head...but sitting behind a comp all day is just brutal. I feel like I have to fit into this corporate mold, and that's just not me. Sorry for the rant, I just feel very torn on what way I should go. I know some cops that can't wait to take the uniform off bc the public demonizes them. Just want to get everyone's feedback and opinions. Am I just drinkin the kool-aid? lol

Thanks again for hearing me out!

No one here can decide for you. Weigh the options, the pros and the cons and make a decision. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

Go for it. Worth taking the shot as you will always have the CPA to fall back on if you decide police work is not the life for you. As PhilipCal wrote, we can't tell you what to do, but this is my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        Go for it. Worth taking the shot as you will always have the CPA to fall back on if you decide police work is not the life for you. As PhilipCal wrote, we can't tell you what to do, but this is my opinion.
        Besides CPA experience is a VERY USEFUL background for an investigator.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you wanted to try the Feds I'm sure IRS's CID would take a look at you. FBI and USSS would be interested, too.

Don't switch to LE just because you're bored. We get bored, too... and the not-boring parts aren't always that great either.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
            If you wanted to try the Feds I'm sure IRS's CID would take a look at you. FBI and USSS would be interested, too.

Don't switch to LE just because you're bored. We get bored, too... and the not-boring parts aren't always that great either.

Hours and hours of boredom followed by moments of shear terror.

Comment

Or hours and hours of boredom followed a disturbance call between two neighbors arguing over a fruit tree's branches and which side of the fence it is supposed to be on AND one had no teeth and the other has only underwear on and is overweight.... And it's raining at 3 am on a Sunday.

Sometimes being a CPA is better.
              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                Or hours and hours of boredom followed a disturbance call between two neighbors arguing over a fruit tree's branches and which side of the fence it is supposed to be on AND one had no teeth and the other has only underwear on and is overweight.... And it's raining at 3 am on a Sunday.

Try setting through 4 DAYS of testimony in a civil lawsuit debating the correct time/conditions to spray a corn field for weeds
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post

hahahaha this actually made me LOL!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys...I know it's a decision I have to make myself I just wanted some real-time feedback from the guys who actually do it everyday ya know? I'm definitely disciplined and can study as well...I'd have no problem putting in the hours and studying for the Sgt. exam etc. Not saying I know how easy that is so please don't take it that way...I just know I can mentally handle sitting down for 10 hour clips and studying if I have to.

Also, please don't take offense to this like I want to be a cop just bc I am bored and I've watched law and order or criminal minds lol. It's more about having a job where I feel like I fit in and I dont have to hate going to work. Do you guys enjoy the job or do you ever get tired of it? Do you feel like you make a difference at the end of your tour? That's my biggest thing...knowing I am making an impact in society. Sorry to sound like a sparky haha...just seems like an awesome job (even though it has it's ups and downs).

Can a CPA be useful in NYPD? I'm going to take the SCPD exam too (even though thats a slim chance) and MTAPD next time it's available. Can a CPA be useful in promotions and whatnot? I know the FBI wants CPAs...a girl I work with is on her last bit of interviews etc before she goes to Va. I'd look into it but I'm not sure if I want to relocate as all of my family is here.

Thanks for hearing me out everyone, have a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by adelphia4 View Post
                      Can a CPA be useful in NYPD? I'm going to take the SCPD exam too (even though thats a slim chance) and MTAPD next time it's available. Can a CPA be useful in promotions and whatnot? I know the FBI wants CPAs...a girl I work with is on her last bit of interviews etc before she goes to Va. I'd look into it but I'm not sure if I want to relocate as all of my family is here.

Thanks for hearing me out everyone, have a great weekend!

As a patrolman your CPA would be worthless, but it MIGHT be a leg up on becoming an investigator

You would have to put in your time on the streets, become a good cop and show some initiative then move up.

I really think the Feds would like to talk to you (like tanksolider stated). Your skills would probably get you at the least an interview

Comment

You would still have to prove yourself as a street cop, but your background will serve you well as you move forward in your career. The fact that you are a CPA will not only benefit you in terms of investigation of financial crimes, but it is a good sign that you have an analytic mind which will help in any investigative function.
                        In God We Trust
                        Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          As a patrolman your CPA would be worthless, but it MIGHT be a leg up on becoming an investigator

You would have to put in your time on the streets, become a good cop and show some initiative then move up.

I really think the Feds would like to talk to you (like tanksolider stated). Your skills would probably get you at the least an interview
                          thank you sir...I'm definitely going to keep an eye open for that spot. right now special agent applications are closed but I'll keep checking and keep you posted if I make a move!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
                            You would still have to prove yourself as a street cop, but your background will serve you well as you move forward in your career. The fact that you are a CPA will not only benefit you in terms of investigation of financial crimes, but it is a good sign that you have an analytic mind which will help in any investigative function.
                            Awesome! Thank you for the input! I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do

Comment

Originally posted by adelphia4 View Post
                              thank you sir...I'm definitely going to keep an eye open for that spot. right now special agent applications are closed but I'll keep checking and keep you posted if I make a move!
                              Actually they are not closed. There was just a NCIS 1811 job posted last week.................

Also there are many open here and there------you just have to be looking when they are open

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3358 users online. 168 members and 3190 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X