300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i still become a cop?

"You are under no obligation to disclose any information regarding a crime where you were a victim"

Around June 2014 i was at a house party with one of my friends and his girlfriend, we
    were in the kitchen( very small, could possibly hold 4-5 people) and there was already 3
    of us in there. 3 men came downstairs high on coke/drunk and started assaulting me in the kitchen for no reason,i was cornered as they were blocking the only exit and my instinct kicked in and i grabbed
    the closest thing to me which happened to be a beer bottle and i smashed it over 1 of the guys heads , the guy and his friend then fled while me and the remaining one kept fighting .He dropped quickly and went into the feeble position and i instantly stopped and left the party. Once i left the party i walked down the road and the police stopped me and arrested me , they were going to charge me with assault as they didn't know i had hit one of them with a bottle, however while i was getting arrested the rest of the party eventually evacuated( cops broke it up) and saw i was getting arrested and
    they all told them i was the victim and i was just defending myself. I was released 5
    minutes later (charges dropped) and taken to the hospital because i had a broken nose, . However i was also drinking i had maybe 6 beers over a time period of 4 hours.

I have been in alot of fight's maybe 10+ and i have never used a weapon, so its not a recurring thing this was the first time i have ever used a weapon in my life.

do you guys see that as self defence? Should i put that on my
    Pre-Employment Polygraph Interview And Examination test ? or should i leave
    it because it says
    "You are under no obligation to disclose any information regarding a crime where you were a victim" because technically i was the victim

and do you think i can still become a police officer?

thank you for reading and i am grateful for whoever replies as my dreams would
    be crushed if this would hold me back from pursuing this any further.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Freeman11; 12-11-2014, 05:54 AM.

Disclose it. If the BI finds it, which I'm sure there was some paperwork written up on it, he won't be happy. It's better to disclose it, even if they determine it to not be a big deal than for them to find out on their own.

Covman

Comment

-sigh- Assuming what you say is true, you are able to defend yourself. Explain it before they find it on their own.

I have more important questions:

1. Why were you attending a party where cocaine was being used?
      You KNOW why they attacked you, and it wasn't random.

2. Why were the cops going to arrest you? According to you, you were just walking down the street with a broken nose? According to you they stopped you down the road from the party. Did the "witnesses" run down the road to tell their side of the story?

3. Why didn't you pursue charges then? Are you listed as a victim on the police report? Oh, no police report. Interesting.

4. You've been in 10+ fights... And you're always the innocent one who gets ambushed aren't you? Interesting.

I'd DQ you. Good luck.
      Last edited by Michigan; 12-11-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman11 View Post
        "You are under no obligation to disclose any information regarding a crime where you were a victim"

Around June 2014 i was at a house party with one of my friends and his girlfriend, we
        were in the kitchen( very small, could possibly hold 4-5 people) and there was already 3
        of us in there. 3 men came downstairs high on coke/drunk and started assaulting me in the kitchen for no reason,i was cornered as they were blocking the only exit and my instinct kicked in and i grabbed
        the closest thing to me which happened to be a beer bottle and i smashed it over 1 of the guys heads , the guy and his friend then fled while me and the remaining one kept fighting .He dropped quickly and went into the feeble position and i instantly stopped and left the party. Once i left the party i walked down the road and the police stopped me and arrested me , they were going to charge me with assault as they didn't know i had hit one of them with a bottle, however while i was getting arrested the rest of the party eventually evacuated( cops broke it up) and saw i was getting arrested and
        they all told them i was the victim and i was just defending myself. I was released 5
        minutes later (charges dropped) and taken to the hospital because i had a broken nose, . However i was also drinking i had maybe 6 beers over a time period of 4 hours.

I have been in alot of fight's maybe 10+ and i have never used a weapon, so its not a recurring thing this was the first time i have ever used a weapon in my life.

do you guys see that as self defence? Should i put that on my
        Pre-Employment Polygraph Interview And Examination test ? or should i leave
        it because it says
        "You are under no obligation to disclose any information regarding a crime where you were a victim" because technically i was the victim

and do you think i can still become a police officer?

thank you for reading and i am grateful for whoever replies as my dreams would
        be crushed if this would hold me back from pursuing this any further.

Thanks.

Comment

10 + fights? You have anger issues and I wouldn't hire you....Also not buying that they started a fight with you for no reason whatsoever....that's horse crap

Comment

Let me start by saying that NOTHING P I S S ES off a background investigator more than to discover something troubling during his investigation that could have been disclosed prior to him/her finding it themselves.

What might have been a minor blip had it been disclosed and discussed in an interview is now going to be an issue. EVEN if it is cleared up, you have just wasted valuable time that investigator could have used to do other things. That MIGHT tend to be reflected in his report on your background.

A hiring official (someone who actually makes the decision as to if you continue in the process ) might look at it as an attempt to evade the question or hide the incident.

NOW -----do you want to be "that guy"?
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It concerns me that you'd even contemplate not disclosing the incident. Past that, read once more the replies of my colleagues. My Agency wouldn't need you. That statement pertains to now, the near future, or ever.

Comment

Even if it says not to report something because you were a victim I would still report it and you should as well. Yes you can still be a cop. Drinking is no big deal people do it. Just don't get drunk anymore and stay out of fights. I was in a lot of fights growing up in the city that stuff is no big deal to me and it did not hurt me in backgrounds. I even got suspended twice from high school for fighting and I have been a cop for five years now. Just tell the truth and I think you will be fine. If you have a hard time getting a job move to a metro area where little stuff like this will not be as big of a problem for the department. Also join the military or get a BS/BA degree as you stay out of trouble. A lot of people don't become cops until they are 30 or 35 so just don't give up if it is something you want to do.

Comment

He dropped quickly and went into the feeble position and i instantly stopped and left the party.
                  What is the feeble position?

Should i put that on my
                  Pre-Employment Polygraph Interview And Examination test ?
                  To answer your question, I am sure you will be asked if you have ever been detained or questioned by law enforcement, to which you should answer truthfully.
                  "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
                    10 + fights? You have anger issues and I wouldn't hire you....Also not buying that they started a fight with you for no reason whatsoever....that's horse crap
                    10+ fights? What the hell lol

Comment

To answer your questions-

1 I didnt know cocaine was being used because i didnt see them doing it.

Actaully i do know why they attacked me they were coked out and wanted to beat someone up. One of my friends acquittance was up stairs with them while they were doing cocaine and heard mike ( the guy i hit with the bottle) that he wanted to beat someone up, they came down stairs and saw me and my friend , his girlfriend(my friend is a trained Boxer/Kickboxer/ hasnt lost and has had 7 fights/ ive known since we were 8 years old) well known in our town so they assaulted me.
                      Some extra information the week before mike had another house party where something similar happened ( i wasn't there) mike also assaulted someone ( there was a video of it) and the victims friend hit mike in the head with another bottle .Mike has been in and out of prison ( is in prison at the moment) im not exactly sure for what,

The three men, Mike i met maybe 2 weeks before, mikes brother named jake which ive known since i was like 15 , ive only hung out with him twice though, the other guy never met in my life.

2. Cause there was a call of a fight as i was walking down the road with blood gushing out of my nose and with my friend and his girlfriend.
                      Seems to fit the description if i am right, and no they didn't come running out the cops broke the party up, and everyone left , some people went the way i went and some didnt but the ones that did told them what happened after i tried to explain to them.
                      3. I don't have an answer on why i didn't pursue charges, and honestly i am not sure if i was the victim on the police report , sorry i didn't ask.

4 Yes , as i was not technically a saint during my teenage years 14-17 , ive only been in two fights since i was 18 and this is one of them.
                      Answering your second question i am not always the innocent one acutally some of the incidents i was far from innocent, some i was the instigator, most of them were mutal( confronation of words which led to a fight) and some yes i was the victim,( Tryd to steal my silver necklace then attempted to headbutt me/ i was hit first)

I am 20 years old for the people that are wondering , and i havent been in a fight since june ( when this happened) and the time before that was the year before in july.

I don't have a problem disclosing this as i would much rather have them knowing.
                      Last edited by Freeman11; 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I would DQ you, my agency would pass on you...Sorry.
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

It appears at the very least you were detained. Disclose it.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Jones85
                            Why ask a forum can you be a cop? Just apply man
                            Please refrain from posting in other people's threads in Ask a Cop (until you are LE).

Stay safe.

Comment

1. You disclose EVERYTHING even if you are under no obligation to do so.

2. When you even think of not disclosing something, see rule #1.

Some further advice that you seriously need.

Don't do stupid things, Don't go stupid places, and don't hang out with stupid people. This may come too late for you as I cannot see us hiring you.
                              In God We Trust
                              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5874 users online. 310 members and 5564 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X