Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should he have resisted this armed robber?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should he have resisted this armed robber?

Please view this video of a hotel desk clerk successfully resisting an armed robber. Should he have resisted? It wasn't even his money. I'll bet the hotel fires him for resisting the robber. What would you advise an unarmed citizen to do?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hows-1.2859334

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hows-1.2859334

Generally speaking, it is not your money, so I don't expect you to fight for it but, if you feel threatened, you gotta do what you gotta do. Not knowing what was in the employe's mind, I won't comment too much on his actions but, if he felt threatened, it would have been best to leave the area once he jumped over the counter. If he could not leave, it would have been best to keep the luggage carrier between himself and the assailant instead of pushing it at him. That said, he didn't successfully resist an armed robber since the robbery was completed in short order. What the clerk did do was get lucky that this guy just wanted the cash; a more cold blooded dude would have stabbed him repeatedly.

Comment

MOST businesses (especially large chain businesses) have it in policy NOT to resist. Yes some WILL terminate employees that violate those policies. This is for legal reasons as well as for the safety of their employees.

Most Crime Prevention Officers will also give that same advice to small business owners/employees when asked for assistance in training staff.

The reality of the situation is that MOST clerks/cashiers/money takers don't have training in close quarters combat, hand to hand combat, or self defense. Having a untrained "superhero" trying to "save the day" usually ends up badly.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It depends. I've had people fight back and some win, some lose, and a few draw. It's up to the individual to know their own capabilities, have a good read of the situation, and escalate or not escalate based on that. It's not up to me to MMQ them.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I don't think you should take a beating for somebody else's cash. Give it up and try to find a job at a place that does not get knocked over every week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4158 users online. 213 members and 3945 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X