300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Academy/Military

I am currently processing for the army active duty. Well, a situation has presented itself to the point to where I'm considering going the reserves instead. The circumstance being my son but the reasoning is legal related. I currently have a visitation court order for my son and let's just say it hasn't been working out too well.

My sons mother is a reservist for the army and has kept my son from me and currently has 4 contempt of court charges against her. My lawyer says this will continue and drag out until she no longer has control and I go for at least shared custody. I of course explain that I am wanting to go active and I cannot have any kind of custody agreement being a single parent. He stated that I can either go into the army and serve a minimum of 4 years without seeing my son period or I can fight for custody of my son and quite possibly get it. It hit me like a ton of bricks while at work, but he's absolutely right. Basically it comes down to I can either go into the army and be checked out of my sons life for a minimum of 4 years or pursue custody.

I currently work full time, while not my dream job it pays all of my bills. My dream job is eventually in law enforcement.

With that being said I do have an actual question to all that....being that if I do end up joining the reserves I will come back to my job naturally. But, can I use any benefits from the army to pay for a private academy while in the reserves? Since working full time on top of having my son and the reserves would be pretty tough. I've heard about people using the MGIB and quitting their jobs just to go to an academy but I thought that was only available for active duty. I realize I can ask my recruiter but I'd appreciate hearing first hand from people with experience.
    Last edited by onetimeK9; 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM.

You have some hard questions to answer yourself and some decisions to make.

Good luck
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      You have some hard questions to answer yourself and some decisions to make.

Good luck
      I absolutely do, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Family is very important and sometimes that puts careers on hold. In the end you have to decide whats best for you. Your gi bill should cover the academy tuition and supplies. An alternative route can also get sponsored through an agency and let them pay for it.
        sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

It will be very hard on you and your family to go to academy and work fulltime, but it can be done. I did it and it was a road.
          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by wutzcrack3n View Post
            Family is very important and sometimes that puts careers on hold. In the end you have to decide whats best for you. Your gi bill should cover the academy tuition and supplies. An alternative route can also get sponsored through an agency and let them pay for it.
            Even as a reservist it should cover it? I hear it's rare in Ohio to be sponsored nowadays and that self sponsoring is becoming the norm.

Comment

Before I joined the army to pay for my academy, I would just save up my money or pick up a part time job until I had the tuition covered. You will find that some small departments are not keen on reservists because activation seriously impacts scheduling and their overtime budget, so you may be shooting yourself in the foot. If you still want to join, join after you have gone through the academy and have them pay for your college education.

The GI Bill has changed a lot; I am pretty sure they will pay something, but how much I don't know. If they won't pay for an academy, find an academy that is run by a community college, that way the gov't will pay for it and you will receive college credits.

Ohio is saturated with open academy graduates; graduation doesn't even come close to mean getting a commission. Ohio is full of people with a certificate and no badge.

Comment

You have to put in AD time to qualify for bill rewards.
                You are also going to have to come up with a family care plan for yur child should you both deploy. DOD is really strict on that, your Recruiter should have caught that.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  You have to put in AD time to qualify for bill rewards.
                  You are also going to have to come up with a family care plan for yur child should you both deploy. DOD is really strict on that, your Recruiter should have caught that.
                  I've been told that as long as the academy is accredited through a college I will be able to us my GI Bill as a Reservist.

There are at least 2 colleges locally that offer a police academy that I know of, 1 being a community college.

So that's the plan as of right now, enlist in the reserve and then enroll in an academy accredited by a college followed by applying to local agencies.

Comment

With that being said, wouldn't that look better to an agency looking to hire? Versus let's say a regular joe blow?

I have to think that an agency will look at a candidate with military experience and already a certified peace officer a little better than most candidates. On top of them not having to fork out the dinero to actually send a person to an academy being that they self sponsored. Granted I realize that most larger departments have their own academies, so more so local PD's and SO's. But I could be totally wrong about that.

Any insight?
                    Last edited by onetimeK9; 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

It's been noted, but once again, you have some difficult decisions to make. While we can offer some insights, suggestions, advice, the final decisions will be yours. Even assuming you attend and successfully complete a self sponsor academy, as a rule, you have no guarantee of employment at the end of the process.

Your key is going to be research. Determine which departments require/prefer already certified applicants. Determine whether or not your reserve status will impact agency operations, scheduling, etc. This could be a problem as well with regard to any final court decisions regarding custody of your child.

At the end of the day, the choices will be yours, and I don't really see any easy ones out there. Best of luck, and I sincerely hope things work out well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by onetimeK9 View Post
                        I have to think that an agency will look at a candidate with military experience and already a certified peace officer a little better than most candidates.
                        As a veteran and a cop, military EXPERIENCE is looked upon favorably. Simply going to basic training and then applying isn't military experience any more than a semester of college is a degree. What you will have isn't military experience, what you have is an ongoing military commitment. As others have stated up thread, that commitment will be a strong negative for many departments (although they won't say that because its illegal to discriminate against reservists) because you screw the manpower pool when you're gone.

Besides which, the whole point of you not wanting to go active is so you can be with your son, right? So what happens when you get deployed for 14 months? You're on the same as active then.

The military is great for people who don't have serious commitments elsewhere. You apparently do. Enlisting is effing retarded when your life is in turmoil with a custody issue.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

What CC said.

Yes, quite a few places in Ohio look for certified officers. There are also a number of them that don't. How you rank on the civil service test is very important. Sorry, but joining the reserves just to get your academy paid for is effing stupid.
                          Last edited by just joe; 12-06-2014, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Wow this thread started off really positive and now has taken a turn for the worse. Excuse the hell out of me for trying to come up with a plan and being a responsible adult all the while trying to be the best father I can possibly be whilst serving my country.

But no you guys are right I'm "effing retarded" and "effing stupid". Nice job representing the LEO community so well. Mods feel free to delete, I'm done here.

Comment

Hey dumbass.

We answered your questions with facts, you chose to ignore it, disregarding those of us in the .mil and LE. You have some major hurdles to clear before you would be able to enlist, and use the Bill. You don't get it right off the bat. You have to earn it. Just like earning the cop job.

Your reasons to serve are selfish and you can STFU.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6447 users online. 346 members and 6101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X