Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth getting a criminal justice degree? College student sumped here. Help!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElDiabloJoe
    replied
    Best undergrad degree, (as far as breadth of usefulness): Business.
    Best post-grad/professional degree, (as far as breadth of usefulness): Law

Even running a drag show-revue on Friday nights at your local Blue Oyster bar is a business, just as running a police agency is a business. And there is a field of law for EVERY thing, whether it's internet law, contracts, maritime, personal injury, patents/trademarks, international, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Country_Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by mhightower View Post
    1. Criminal Justice degrees are not usless at all, in fact they're extremely versatile. If I wasn't in investigations I would be working in Healthcare....lol...yeah as long as you can sell it, you could pull it off like I nearly did.

2. Study what you like...when you go to apply for jobs here's a hint, look for the job announcements buzzwords and then litter your resume and cover letter with these buzz words. This will increase your chances significantly unless they specify what education/qualification they're looking for.
    Unless you are LE, you are not supposed to reply to other people's threads in Ask a Cop.

Leave a comment:

• mhightower
    replied
    Originally posted by craftspace234 View Post
    I have heard from several people that a CJ degree is nearly useless and that I should go for a different degree that can open more doors for more if law enforcement doesn't work out. Since apparently police academies don't care what kind of degree you have. Problem is, I am not interested in anything else. All I ever wanted to do was become a cop and detective eventually. So criminal justice was the only thing on my mind. To get a bachelors degree in cj.

So my questions are:

1.) Is it truly useless getting a degree in criminal justice? Would you recommend getting one?

2.) What other degree can I go for that are similar but can open more doors for me? Maybe business?

Thanks for any help. I am really stumped on what to do with my life...

1. Criminal Justice degrees are not usless at all, in fact they're extremely versatile. If I wasn't in investigations I would be working in Healthcare....lol...yeah as long as you can sell it, you could pull it off like I nearly did.

2. Study what you like...when you go to apply for jobs here's a hint, look for the job announcements buzzwords and then litter your resume and cover letter with these buzz words. This will increase your chances significantly unless they specify what education/qualification they're looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Country_Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and say that it doesn't really matter what degree you have. A degree doesn't get you the job, you get yourself the job. A degree doesn't tell you how to interview, in the case of a LE profession, it doesn't teach you how to run or perform in a physical fitness test. In my experience, college doesn't prepare you for a job. I have a degree in sports management and i'm in the process of applying with a few different departments that don't care why type of degree I have. Its my job to show them why I make a good candidate, not why my degree makes me one. I am also currently taking online classes for a CJ degree which won't help me get a job, but its something that interests me and it may help me in the future if I move beyond an officer. So my main points:

1. Get a degree, it doesn't matter what

2. Be respectful of others especially when you ask for their advice. Many have been in this profession for a long time and can provide lots of insight. I'm new on this forum and its already helped me, just by reading posts.

Although you offer some good advice, since you are not LE, you are not supposed to post in Ask a Cop unless you started the thread.

Leave a comment:

• nyislesfan42
    replied
    I'm just going to go ahead and say that it doesn't really matter what degree you have. A degree doesn't get you the job, you get yourself the job. A degree doesn't tell you how to interview, in the case of a LE profession, it doesn't teach you how to run or perform in a physical fitness test. In my experience, college doesn't prepare you for a job. I have a degree in sports management and i'm in the process of applying with a few different departments that don't care why type of degree I have. Its my job to show them why I make a good candidate, not why my degree makes me one. I am also currently taking online classes for a CJ degree which won't help me get a job, but its something that interests me and it may help me in the future if I move beyond an officer. So my main points:

1. Get a degree, it doesn't matter what

2. Be respectful of others especially when you ask for their advice. Many have been in this profession for a long time and can provide lots of insight. I'm new on this forum and its already helped me, just by reading posts.

Leave a comment:

• Flash2pablo
    replied
    I would agree with the countless benefits that my law school doctorate decree has given me. At my department only one other person has their JD. At my academy, one of my TAC officers had his JD.
    It is a growing trend. I never plan to practice law, but you never know when you will need a back up plan to law enforcement. Too many officers at my department at some point have major injuries that contribute to early retirement and most don't have a back up job field to go into.
    For me if I am injured beyond repair, maybe I will become a prosecutor. I wouldn't suffer from a loss in pay, that is for sure, but it would be terrible to be in the office/court all day.

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    Wow the Sentinel!!!!! God, I had forgotten about that paper. Now I am stuck with the Mercury News, bastion of intellectual sophistication and Scott Herhold!

To the OP, since you failed to understand the basics of what Iowa and several,other VERY well respected members of this board had to say:

If you are so stumped that as a college student you can't even do basic internet research, you will most likely struggle in college. If you can't make a simple decision without asking total strangers you will struggle in Field Training.

That's harsh but it's true.

I know lots of people who have CJ degrees outside of Law Enforcement. BA/BS in Criminal Justice can be a primer for law school, because you will read countless legal briefs. It could lead you into other social sciences like psychology or sociology.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/gen...n-drug-charges

It wasn't for this bone-head...

Leave a comment:

• ArmyVet
    replied
    Who are you to say its not enough pay for me? I think that'll be up to me if I get paid that salary and see for myself.
    Just someone who thinks you should understand the realities of a profession BEFORE you make any decisions. That's up to you too, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Country_Jim
    replied
    The OP confuses me. He asks for advice in four different threads about CJ degrees and then spends this thread arguing against CJ degrees. He is disrespectful in his replies to Iowa (a man who forgot more than the OP will ever know about LE) and has shown me that he doesn't have what it takes to make it in LE. I am not saying this to be mean, but just what I see from his posts and his responses. The OP can't make a decision, has shown immaturity by disrespecting Iowa and doesn't appear to have people skills. I would hate for the OP's indecision to cost him his life of the life of a fellow officer.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by Country_Jim; 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eaker995
    replied
    So he has more than just a cj degree. He has public administration that's why.

There are a few other jobs you can get with a cj degree but they aren't paid very well. Less than a police officers pay

Who are you to say its not enough pay for me? I think that'll be up to me if I get paid that salary and see for myself.

Not the point anyways. Just saying anything can happen and law enforcement may not work out for me. Then I am left with a cj degree that can only get a few very low paying jobs. Most likely lower than a police officers. Probably couldn't find one higher than 40k salary
    Oh my. I dont get it. You asked about getting a CJ degree since you werent sure, you got responses both pro and con and now you are whining about those responses that gave pro reasons. WHY DID YOU EVEN POST YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION!?!?

It sounds to me like you have got the answer you needed and that you feel a CJ degree isnt the way to go based off of YOUR OWN responses. Thread closed. NEXT!

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied

There are a few other jobs you can get with a cj degree but they aren't paid very well. Less than a police officers pay

Not the point anyways. Just saying anything can happen and law enforcement may not work out for me. Then I am left with a cj degree that can only get a few very low paying jobs. Most likely lower than a police officers. Probably couldn't find one higher than 40k salary
    I have changed my mind

PLEASE DON'T GET A CRIMINAL JUSTICE DEGREE.

YOU need to get a Business degree------------------you are too *****ing dense to ever make it in the Law Enforcement profession so a criminal justice degree would be totally worthless for you.

Oh by the way I know a couple attorneys that have CJ bachelors--------------------naw it did them absolutely no good what so ever----other than to qualify them for law school.

Oh, but that doesn't matter because they got a higher degree.........

Leave a comment:

• craftspace234
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I read EXACTLY what you TYPED-----------------No it is not "limiting".

A Criminal Justice degree is a Liberal Arts Degree. It has EXACTLY THE SAME base requirements as any other Liberal Arts program . The ONLY difference is the degree specific classes which make up the Major. You still have a General Education 4 year Bachelor's Degree.

ANY Liberal Arts Degree will get you into nearly any job that requires a College Degree. A specific job MIGHT require a specific degree---------------but that is highly unusual. Like Law Enforcement administrators what most hiring directors in private business want is a person who knows how to express themselves, who has started and finished a prescribed course of study, who has the ability to listen to and understand directions, and who can get along and work with others

I know a NUMBER of people with Criminal Justice Degrees that have excelled in professions far removed from Law Enforcement.

Does being an elected County Auditor fit the bill for a person with a CJ degree working SUCCESSFULLY in a position that has absolutley NOTHING to do with Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement?

How about being the owner of a small business (10 employees) that specializes in public relations for other small businesses.

Then there is the city manager for a town of 80,000 in Central Wisconsin who has a CJ degree backed up with a MA in Public Administration

I guess those people were "limited"

Like I said you have a comprehension

Plus 2

Originally posted by ArmyVet View Post
    No. No, you are not. What are you? 19-20 years old? You have your whole life ahead of you. You are not running out of time.

The only thing that would limit you is you. Education is what you make of it. You can put your entire effort into a CJ degree and learn valuable skills and gain useful knowledge, or you can graduate from a molecular engineering program and not know how to apply what you learned.

You do realize that as a police officer you WILL work long hours and not get paid enough, right? Those are not the reasons to pursue a CJ degree.

Leave a comment:

• ArmyVet
    replied
    1.) Yes I am. You don't even know what year of college I am in. I am about to be done with my sophomore year and have no idea on what classes to take next semester.
    No. No, you are not. What are you? 19-20 years old? You have your whole life ahead of you. You are not running out of time.

I said law enforcement type jobs. Read what I said again. Cj is very limiting
    The only thing that would limit you is you. Education is what you make of it. You can put your entire effort into a CJ degree and learn valuable skills and gain useful knowledge, or you can graduate from a molecular engineering program and not know how to apply what you learned.

But if something goes wrong like I don't get hired as a cop, I don't like the pay, too may hours, etc that crj degree will restrict me only to law enforcement type jobs.
    You do realize that as a police officer you WILL work long hours and not get paid enough, right? Those are not the reasons to pursue a CJ degree.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    I said law enforcement type jobs. Read what I said again. Cj is very limiting
    I read EXACTLY what you TYPED-----------------No it is not "limiting".

A Criminal Justice degree is a Liberal Arts Degree. It has EXACTLY THE SAME base requirements as any other Liberal Arts program . The ONLY difference is the degree specific classes which make up the Major. You still have a General Education 4 year Bachelor's Degree.

ANY Liberal Arts Degree will get you into nearly any job that requires a College Degree. A specific job MIGHT require a specific degree---------------but that is highly unusual. Like Law Enforcement administrators what most hiring directors in private business want is a person who knows how to express themselves, who has started and finished a prescribed course of study, who has the ability to listen to and understand directions, and who can get along and work with others

I know a NUMBER of people with Criminal Justice Degrees that have excelled in professions far removed from Law Enforcement.

Does being an elected County Auditor fit the bill for a person with a CJ degree working SUCCESSFULLY in a position that has absolutley NOTHING to do with Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement?

How about being the owner of a small business (10 employees) that specializes in public relations for other small businesses.

Then there is the city manager for a town of 80,000 in Central Wisconsin who has a CJ degree backed up with a MA in Public Administration

I guess those people were "limited"

Like I said you have a comprehension

Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
    Enough posting and make a decision, or don't. It doesn't effect any of us either way. This decision effects only you and your life and future.
    Plus 2
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2367 users online. 129 members and 2238 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X