300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about concealed carry.

I know that when im in a vehicle and i'm stopped for any reason, i know its my responsibility to inform the officer that i have a concealed carry permit and that i am armed. Now lets say im walking downtown and for whatever reason im approached by an officer. Do the same rules apply, do i need to inform them right away that i have a ccw and that im armed or is it different if im not in a vehicle? Im just curious to know how to properly and responsibly handle the situation if it ever does happen.

In Louisiana, the law states that a concealed weapon permit holder must immediately identify himself as such upon any contact with a law enforcement officer and must also immediately inform the officer if they are currently armed. Most states that I've looked into have similar laws, but I don't know the law in all fifty states.

Comment

Thank you. So even if im not armed at the time i still have to inform them im a ccw holder?

Comment

Originally posted by Abit2585 View Post
        I know that when im in a vehicle and i'm stopped for any reason, i know its my responsibility to inform the officer that i have a concealed carry permit and that i am armed. Now lets say im walking downtown and for whatever reason im approached by an officer. Do the same rules apply, do i need to inform them right away that i have a ccw and that im armed or is it different if im not in a vehicle? Im just curious to know how to properly and responsibly handle the situation if it ever does happen.
        I don't know what State you are from, but if you are armed and going about your business and I have no contact with you; Please don't walk up to me just to tell me your armed. Seriously, I don't care and I don't want to do an incident report on it. Just keep walking lol
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Agreed. That's just plain stupid, but i bet there are people out there like that i guess. I just wanted to be sure that im going about everything lawfully. Thanks for your answers.

Comment

Thank you. So even if im not armed at the time i still have to inform them im a ccw holder?
            That would depend on the state in which you are at the time.

In Iowa , there is no requirement to notify a Law Enforcement Officer that you are armed or that you have weapons permit.

Most officers could care less-------------------------------an exception would be that if you were to accidentally reveal your weapon during an encounter -------you probably should let the officer know first.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Even if it is not a law in your state, it is generally a good practice to inform the officer of such information.

Comment

It has always been my plan to inform the officer that has made contact with me so that he/she knows. I was pulled over about two years ago for my inspection being a month past due. I pulled right over made sure my hands were on the steering wheel so they were visible, and after the officer made initial contact i informed him that i have a ccw and that i was armed. He politley asked me to step out of the car, he secured my weapon and went on with the traffic stop. He did tell me towards the end that he appreciated me keeping my hands visible and informing him that i was armed. All in all, i believe he was happy with the way I was honest and upfront and in turn he was very polite and professional. I live in Pennsylvania by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                  Even if it is not a law in your state, it is generally a good practice to inform the officer of such information.
                  That depends, doesn't it. Please refer to forum rules when answering in this section unless your status has changed.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                    That depends, doesn't it. Please refer to forum rules when answering in this section unless your status has changed.

I sent you a PM slamdunc.

Comment

It has always been my plan to inform the officer that has made contact with me so that he/she knows. I was pulled over about two years ago for my inspection being a month past due. I pulled right over made sure my hands were on the steering wheel so they were visible, and after the officer made initial contact i informed him that i have a ccw and that i was armed. He politley asked me to step out of the car, he secured my weapon and went on with the traffic stop. He did tell me towards the end that he appreciated me keeping my hands visible and informing him that i was armed. All in all, i believe he was happy with the way I was honest and upfront and in turn he was very polite and professional. I live in Pennsylvania by the way.
                      I will never let the officer know unless there is a possibility that he/she might see my weapon for some reason. Like I said , most officers in my region don't care unless there is a reason for them to care.

Most of the officers around here & everyone I currently work with will tell a permit holder who tells them they are armed that "Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine" and continue on with the contact.

If I am asked to get out of the car during the stop, I would then probably notify because there would be a possiblity the officer would notice the weapon.----------------likewise if I happened to have it in the glove box at that time and was asked for registration and proof of insurance
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

i know its my responsibility to inform the officer that i have a concealed carry permit and that i am armed.

Do the same rules apply, do i need to inform them right away that i have a ccw and that im armed or is it different if im not in a vehicle?
                        Depends on your state. In Colorado you don't have to tell the officer in either case unless he specifically asks.

Personally I could care less.
                        Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-27-2014, 10:12 PM.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

If I contact someone for any reason and I find they have a weapon and they're legally carrying I'm going to do this...I will take the weapon, place it on the hood of vehicle after unloading it, finish my contact with you and then ask you not to reload until I've left....this isn't something personal against that person but I don't know them and even though the contact might be pleasant it doesn't mean that this person might try to harm me....I'm going home at the end of shift and if that means someone is disgruntled that I unloaded their weapon so be it

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                            Depends on your state. In Colorado you don't have to tell the officer in either case unless he specifically asks.

Personally I could care less.
                            I’m on the same page as Tank soldier. There are several states that have enacted a statutory “duty to inform”, those states require you to disclose the fact that you are carrying a firearm whenever officially stopped by law enforcement. The simple answer in my opinion is no, unless you are required to do so by state law.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              I will never let the officer know unless there is a possibility that he/she might see my weapon for some reason. Like I said , most officers in my region don't care unless there is a reason for them to care.
                              ^^^This^^^
                              Originally posted by sanitizer View Post
                              There are several states that have enacted a statutory “duty to inform”, those states require you to disclose the fact that you are carrying a firearm whenever officially stopped by law enforcement. The simple answer in my opinion is no, unless you are required to do so by state law.
                              And ^^^This^^^.

If you are required by statute to disclose or if it is likely that during the course of contact, the firearm will be discovered, then you should let the officer know. If neither of these are the case, out of sight, out of mind.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5683 users online. 308 members and 5375 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X