300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Crime

I live in an open community, where there is no gate to prohibit outsiders from coming in. Recently, we have been having issues such as cars being vandalized and houses being burglarized. There are two cops that live in the community but, even with their presences, things are still going down. Some of us have joined a private group to warn each other of the dangers going on. If not, we try to warn each other through text. However, our attempts to fight these crimes by letting each other know isn't doing us any good. Do any of you have any idea what we can do as a community to help each other against these crimes? I would greatly appreciate it.

Why do you think texting each other about crimes will have any affect on crime?

Have you spoken with a crime prevention officer from your jurisdiction?

Have you and your friendly local crime prevention officer tried to organize a neighborhood watch within the community as a whole?

Comment

@just Joe

A1. Texting each other somewhat helps the situation because we give each other tips on what we can do to limit the chances of being a possible victim. We can also send each other reminders and/or FYIs. However, the problem with texting is that it is limited to the people who joined the private group. Plus, I only have the phone numbers to approximately 4 neighbors.

A2. Personally, no. I don't know if others have, though.

A3. One of the neighbors, who created the private group on Fb, stated that there has been only 2 meetings within the past yr or so. In addition, she also stated how she has made certain suggestions during HOA meetings but they haven't done anything with her ideas and such.

By the way, is it legal for one of the neighbors to post a image of a person who vandalized her car on our private fb page? I made this suggestion after she stated she had a video of the corrupt entering her husband's car
      Last edited by calmonte; 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Contact the local precinct and see if they have a community action officer....if so notify that officer about what is going on and they can set up patrol watches and let the officers that work that area know what's going on...until you say something you're not going to get any more or less patrol in your community....I have a big beat area....unless something specific comes out in a certain area I'm patrolling my whole beat area....on top of that I'm answering radio calls and conducting traffic stops....I'm sure the officers in your area do the same so like I said until you reach out and say something you won't get any results.

Comment

Form a community watch and get the pd involved to help close patrol the area. Unfortunately as much as we want to be proactive, we cant be everywhere. Get a community meeting together to make everyone aware of whats going on in the community. If need be get a security system with cameras if u can afford to do so.
          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

It's called "Neighborhood Watch". As my colleagues have noted, contact your local police agency. There should be ample help there.

Comment

Agree. I decided to email our off duty officer to see if he was willing to join our private group on FB with his off duty email address. A neighbor and I have also agreed to meet up and go around the community to collect name and numbers in order to create a "phone tree."

Thank you, everyone!

Comment

Leave the off duty cops alone. They don't want to be pulled into drama.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I noticed that you want FB pages, texts ect. How about a Neighorhood Watch meeting where you meet and interact with your neighbors face to face. I'm not judging, but I feel like people in general are forgetting how to have actual relationships instead of FB "friends". Maybe I'm just too old.

Good luck.

Comment

You live in an open community? <----- I didn't realize the opposite of a gated community is an open community. I always thought it was normal to not have gates blocking people from coming into your area/community/town/city... Since this is America.

Getting the word out is great but calling the police to report the crime is important. The Off Duty Cops may not even work for same jurisdiction that they live in (which means they can't and most likely don't want to help). Contact your local police department and have an officer assigned to your community.

Texting and emails after the crime occurred will not prevent it from happening again. And do not follow the "suspect" and cause a violent confrontation.
                    semper destravit

Comment

It would be alot more beneficial for you to have a meeting say, at your home. People tend to be alot more involved with the concept and its easier to relate as well as share information with each other. Forming a phone list would be very handy especially so you can watch each others houses while out of town for the holidays. Even if you dont have an alarm system, get a sign that says you do. Or even a beware of dog. It is usually a first line deterrent against break-ins.
                      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Leave the off duty cops alone. They don't want to be pulled into drama.
                        I sort of disagree with your statement for two reasons.

Yes, it is true that no one likes drama. However, why volunteer to be our community's off duty cop for neighbor crime watch, if you didn't want to deal with the drama.

Besides, asking him to participate in our private group with his off duty (non personal) email address isn't going to bombard him with a crazy amount of drama. He can choose to read and comment whenever he pleases. Plus, it doesn't hurt to ask.
                        Last edited by calmonte; 11-26-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                          I noticed that you want FB pages, texts ect. How about a Neighorhood Watch meeting where you meet and interact with your neighbors face to face. I'm not judging, but I feel like people in general are forgetting how to have actual relationships instead of FB "friends". Maybe I'm just too old.

Good luck.
                          Lol! Yes, I agree that actual relationships are way better than FB or any other social media. However, you should have seen how little people were willing to meet up, when I suggested it. I don't know if its because of laziness or lack of concern, but what can I do if no one wants to come?
                          Last edited by calmonte; 11-26-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wutzcrack3n View Post
                            It would be alot more beneficial for you to have a meeting say, at your home. People tend to be alot more involved with the concept and its easier to relate as well as share information with each other. Forming a phone list would be very handy especially so you can watch each others houses while out of town for the holidays. Even if you dont have an alarm system, get a sign that says you do. Or even a beware of dog. It is usually a first line deterrent against break-ins.
                            These are some great ideas. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by calmonte View Post
                              I sort of disagree with your statement for two reasons.
                              -------------------------- Plus, it doesn't hurt to ask.
                              Disargee all you want, but do you want to do work for your employer on your own time?

Doesn't hurt to ask-------------------but be prepared for a refusal.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6091 users online. 317 members and 5774 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X