Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Along?

Hello Everyone,

Ill skip straight to the point - at what point to riders get annoying? How many ride-alongs (with the same officer) are too many?

I have done 2 with a Deputy from San Mateo County Sheriff's, and really enjoyed myself. As far as I could discern, so did the officer I was with - didn't seem annoyed or bothered to have a rider, we got along pretty well, was "chill and friendly"

I would very much like to continue, but is it necessarily appropriate? I don't want to provide a hinderance from his job, nor hang around and begin to bother him/coworkers, but this is honestly one of the most exciting things I do.

If you were the officer, what would you say?

Thanks!

*Edit - I should also mention I have tried to put time between visits, being about a month apart. I also don't want to be known as "that guy", but don't know the community well enough to know that line.
    Last edited by indy_dibona; 11-18-2014, 11:24 AM.
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Q: At what point to riders get annoying?

A: As soon as they sit in the car.

Everyone has their own tolerance level. Assuming the dept. doesn't restrict the number of ride alongs you can do, ask the deputy if you can ride with him again or if he would prefer that you ride with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      Q: At what point to riders get annoying?

A: As soon as they sit in the car.

Everyone has their own tolerance level. Assuming the dept. doesn't restrict the number of ride alongs you can do, ask the deputy if you can ride with him again or if he would prefer that you ride with someone else.
      lol ok, so follow up question - what makes riders annoying? What can a rider do to be less annoying?
      REINSTATE THE TRIG
      Your logic defies logic
      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.

Comment

Some officers just plain don't want ANY riders in their car, at all... especially one who is not a cop.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

With very few exceptions, I preferred to not have a rider. That describes quite a few officers. OTH, you seem to have a pretty good understanding of not how to become "that guy".

If a particular officer(s) enjoy having you, then you must be doing something right. Keep that up, and you'll probably have few if any problems.

Comment

Get in.
            Shut up.
            Put on your seat belt.
            Don't touch nothing.
            Attached Files
            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
              With very few exceptions, I preferred to not have a rider. That describes quite a few officers. OTH, you seem to have a pretty good understanding of not how to become "that guy".

If a particular officer(s) enjoy having you, then you must be doing something right. Keep that up, and you'll probably have few if any problems.
              So far as I can tell, we all get along. Of course, they could just be playing along, but it doesn't seem like it. Is that a common thing to do - try to appease the rider, or are *most* officers just like nahhhh?

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
              Some officers just plain don't want ANY riders in their car, at all... especially one who is not a cop.
              So....you guys have other cops that ride?

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
              Get in.
              Shut up.
              Put on your seat belt.
              Don't touch nothing.
              lol thats funny b/c exactly what I tend to do - not just with a ride along, but with just about everything (classes, parents, teachers, ect.) Sit down, shut up, observe, learn something, THEN open your mouth.
              REINSTATE THE TRIG
              Your logic defies logic

Comment

My cruiser is MY space. When I have someone in it (especially a civilian around whom I have to watch what I say) it takes away from that. Also my cruiser is my office, the front passenger seat being my desk, filing cabinet, book shelf, and where I put my lunch. So imagine you work in an office: someone is there to observe you and they sit directly on your desk. I don't mean to discourage you from riding, these are just my feelings on the subject. I do think its good that you have an interest though, just fulfill that interest with someone other than me ;-). For your own benefit try riding with different officers in different areas to see how they do things.
                Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Yes..i have had cops from other agencies ride with me...some for fun, some who wanted to join my agency.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I NEVER had to appease a rider. If anything he had to appease me. As my colleague pointed out, the patrol car was my space. I would not have hesitated for one moment to put an end to a ride along by taking the rider back to the post, or to a location where he could use a phone to call a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird543 View Post
                      My cruiser is MY space. When I have someone in it (especially a civilian around whom I have to watch what I say) it takes away from that. Also my cruiser is my office, the front passenger seat being my desk, filing cabinet, book shelf, and where I put my lunch. So imagine you work in an office: someone is there to observe you and they sit directly on your desk. I don't mean to discourage you from riding, these are just my feelings on the subject. I do think its good that you have an interest though, just fulfill that interest with someone other than me ;-). For your own benefit try riding with different officers in different areas to see how they do things.
                      Pretty much this. I want to be able to turn up a good song on the radio, fart if I want to, and say "Oh My God" if I see a beautiful woman walking down the street, and I want to be able to do that without an audience. I believe in good public relations and speaking with the community we serve. You want me to do a home security survey? Give me a call. Want me to do a crime prevention presentation for a group? More than happy to help you out. Go to your kid's school and talk about active shooter survival strategies? Hell yeah, I'm your man. What I do not want to do is be stifled, or be someone's entertainment for the evening.

Comment

How do ride along assignments work? Do officers volunteer to take in riders? Or are they just put with whoever the person assigning people feels like putting them with?

Comment

Most agencies have a limit on riders. Mine is once per year.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by a.rizo View Post
                            How do ride along assignments work? Do officers volunteer to take in riders? Or are they just put with whoever the person assigning people feels like putting them with?
                            The least senior rookie who isn't in field training gets them. If the rider is an applicant (all applicants to my agency must ride as part of the hiring process) they will generally be placed in the busiest beat, which again is generally the rookie. A ride a long with a gung-ho rookie is more entertaining than it would be with a senior officer who may also have supervisory and administrative tasks to handle as well. "Welcome to your ride-a-long, now sit here and watch me do vehicle inspections and payroll, followed by performance appraisals and monthly productivity reports."
                            Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                            To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

I don't mind a ride along, because I am still new enough to recall when being in the car didn't feel like work. But, there are times I want to be left alone, may avoid certain things because you are in the car with me. Mostly I hate my front seat being taken up and I have to jump out of my routine. With that said, I look at it as "paying it forward"

I will say this, if you go too much, you will become that person.

Are you applying?
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5850 users online. 307 members and 5543 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X