300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question.

I started looking into the police academy a while back and figuring out how I can do it. I assessed everything on it the times classes start, how much it would cost, and when I could start it. The only problem I could find is my current job, I'm an electricians apprentice. My problem with the job and the acadamy is that the academy has two different times to take it, either a full time acadamy from 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. and it's a six month program the other is a 6 P.M. to 10 P.M. program that lasts 10 months. My current job is from 7 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. and that doesn't count on where I'm working that day. Mostly I wake up at 5 A.M. and take off at 6:10 to get to where I'm going, it's also usually a construction electric company so im physically drained by 3:30. And I can't find another job that pays good enough to pay my bills to cover me until the acadamy is over. All in all I was asking for job opinions, or generall opinions period. I really want to be an officer and this situation is the only thing holding me back. Any help is appreciated.
    And sorry for the long book just had to explain my situation in detail.

The academy you describe sounds like a few here in TX. If that's true, good luck to you in attempting it. I honestly have no idea how long academies are in other states so I can only state from what I know.

To answer your question, the academy won't change it's times for you, therefore you have a decision to make. You can either stay with your currency job and look on at the police world, possibly asking you boss for new hours so you can attend; you can find a new job with hours that will let you attend; apply to an agency and get a conditional offer and let them send you to an academy. These are really your only choices.

If this is for TX, be aware that going through an academy does not make you a peace officer, only that you have gone through an academy. You have to be hired by an agency and get your license from the state to be a peace officer for the state.

Good luck

Comment

Then you need to find a dept that will hire you and send you to the academy. Open enrollment academies are crap shoots and, from what I have seen, very few graduates end up with full time jobs anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        Then you need to find a dept that will hire you and send you to the academy. Open enrollment academies are crap shoots and, from what I have seen, very few graduates end up with full time jobs anywhere.
        I would agree with this mostly.

However, if you can't find a department that will pay for you or has their own academy:

Paying your way through the academy yourself will obviously help your chances to a certain degree. In Wisconsin only about 4 departments have their own academies and will pay you to attend them. A few of the other smaller departments will sponsor you through an outside academy, but only if the department thinks you are some super exceptional candidate, which is rare..especially with city budgets these days. In Wisconsin many of the departments wont even allow you to apply without already successfully completing an outside academy, which was very frustrating for me.

I decided not to pay my own way through a tech school academy and put all my eggs in one basket for the reasons that just joe and eaker995 mentioned. Paying your way through an academy guarantees nothing, just improves your chances vs those who have not gone through an academy. I was fortunate enough to get hired by one of those previously mentioned four departments and was paid to be in the academy.

I guess its all about how badly you want it. If you want it bad enough then I would say go for it and just be miserable for 10 months. If I hadn't been hired by my department, I probably would have sucked it up and paid my own way just because this is what I really wanted to do.

Comment

Look into academies that are at junior colleges or that have agreements with them. You can apply for financial aid just like most other college students. That would allow you to get a part time job or perhaps not even work at all, especially if you saved up for 6 mos-year beforehand.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4271 users online. 263 members and 4008 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X