Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illinois foid card question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Illinois foid card question

    Back in 2009, I was going through some tough times at home a long with the passing of one of good friends. I went up to one of the local hospitals around my neighborhood and was trying to see if I could speak with a counselor or someone that was use to dealing with people on a daily basis when it came to depression. When I was at the hospital they told me to check myself into the emergency room because that would of been the only way to talk to someone. The emergency room claimed that I was suicidal which I definitely wasn't. So they sent me to a mental institution and I agreed to check myself in so it was voluntary admission. I spent the first day signing paperwork, second day I saw the doctor and the doctor told me that I didn't belong there at the mental institution so the following day I was discharged and sent for outpatient care. So after all that I had applied for my FOID card since I had my major in criminal justice and was told that I would eventually need one. I was denied because of the admission into the mental hospital and I sent my application along with paperwork from a licensed physician to appeal the decision. I never heard anything regarding my appeal that took 22 months. I resubmitted my application for the FOID since it has been over 5 years from admission and got a denial letter again because I need a mental health evaluation done. Upon sending my mental health evaluation back in to the illinois state police from my licensed physician that I was seeing the first time of the appeal I was then reinstated to have my FOID card. I am currently filling out my personal history questionnaire for the county and on the application it asks if you have ever been denied which I put yes and then it asks for your FOID number which I wrote down since I now have it. Towards the end of the page, it asks if there is any inadequate information that you marked yes to explain yourself. I was wondering what I should write down to explain why I was denied before or if I should just leave it as is since I have my FOID card. Also, would this still hurt my chances of getting hired if I was denied before but now reinstated? Thanks for your help!

  • #2
    Explain EVERYTHING in DETAIL.

    The denial is going to be a red flag for EVERY agency you EVER apply for. If you don't give them enough information -----many agencies will just trash your application rather than sort through the BS. If they get 200 applications for 1 opening, that COULD be a quick weed out justification.

    Basically if you don't care enough to explain a KNOWN problem, why should they care enough to move you forward
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Explain EVERYTHING in DETAIL.

      The denial is going to be a red flag for EVERY agency you EVER apply for. If you don't give them enough information -----many agencies will just trash your application rather than sort through the BS. If they get 200 applications for 1 opening, that COULD be a quick weed out justification.

      Basically if you don't care enough to explain a KNOWN problem, why should they care enough to move you forward





      You need to read this post again and again. Read it until you fully understand and appreciate it. Additionally, you need to work on your written communication skills. Reading your post was a major effort, and that should not be the case.

      The history and issues you describe are going to loom large in any department's decision to employ you. They are very likely to work against any chance you have (slim) at employment in this profession.

      Comment


      • #4
        You are going to have a major challenge ahead of you. Regardless of the circumstances, any type of mental health evaluation will be taken very seriously. Any type of mental health evaluation which leads to a denial will be taken EVEN MORE seriously, if not immediately discarded.

        I also agree with PhillipCal that your text was difficult to read. Should you explain anything further on an application, be sure to use proper paragraph and sentence structure.

        I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just some constructive criticism which should be considered.

        Comment


        • #5
          Even though I got reinstated from Illinois State Police it would still be an issue moving forward?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
            Even though I got reinstated from Illinois State Police it would still be an issue moving forward?
            You apparently don't want to hear the truth, so I will tell you what you want to hear. Do not be prepared for an uphill battle. The psychological suitablity of LE candidates is not a concern for agencies. The psych test is just for sh*ts and giggles.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
              You apparently don't want to hear the truth, so I will tell you what you want to hear. Do not be prepared for an uphill battle. The psychological suitablity of LE candidates is not a concern for agencies. The psych test is just for sh*ts and giggles.
              I already passed the psych test

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
                Even though I got reinstated from Illinois State Police it would still be an issue moving forward?
                There is a VAST difference between an administrative decision to let someone buy a gun and sanctioning someone carrying that weapon as a Law Enforcement Officer.


                Your history-----------and the denial of a FOID card is going to be an extremely HIGH hurdle in getting hired as a LEO. You carry much more baggage than the majority of your competition.



                Scenario time


                You get hired in 2015 and go through the academy, Field Training and are on patrol by yourself. Oh heck, you even save 3 kids from an apartment fire winning the agency Medal of Honor for bravery.------------

                It's now 2020. Your wife leaves you for a younger man because you have been working nights------you don't get that promotion to Sgt that you really, really believe you deserved.-------------------Suddenly you are depressed. You do something stupid.

                The press gets word of your 2009 incident -----the victims of your stupidity sues the city for MAJOR $$$,$$$,$$$.$$

                Do you think the Chief & Mayor are going to be happy they let you get hired because you had a FOID card when you applied?
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you passed the psych test, then why are you worried about the mental health issues? You'll have to excuse me because your OP was written so poorly it was hard to follow. In my state the psych test is only done after you pass the background and a conditional job offer is made. This is because of the American's with Disabllity Act (the same with the physical).
                  Last edited by Country_Jim; 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The psych test that was given was called SBSA test (Situational Based Self Assessment). It took place of the psych test because the county was having problems with the outside company that they had. They were failing people left and right so they choose to go the SBSA route which I have passed. I am currently onto the PHQ and it asks what my FOID number is so I have listed the number and below there it asks have you ever been denied a FOID card which I put yes that I have. On the last page of the PHQ it asks if there is any adequate information that you have marked yes to and would like to explain yourself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
                      The psych test that was given was called SBSA test (Situational Based Self Assessment). It took place of the psych test because the county was having problems with the outside company that they had. They were failing people left and right so they choose to go the SBSA route which I have passed. I am currently onto the PHQ and it asks what my FOID number is so I have listed the number and below there it asks have you ever been denied a FOID card which I put yes that I have. On the last page of the PHQ it asks if there is any adequate information that you have marked yes to and would like to explain yourself.
                      Got it. It's strange that they waste money (and a possible violation of the ADA) by giving the psychological test before the background portion. When I got hired you were asked medical and psychological questions before a decision was made to hire you. By the time I became a background investigtor, the ADA was being used by LE applicants who claimed they were not hired because of a disability, not a background issue.

                      To stop the lawsuits, most California agencies will not ask an applicant to disclose possible ADA issues until they know if the applicant meets their backgound hiring standards. Agencies will then make a conditional job offer that basically states an applicant will be given a job if they pass a psych test and a medical evaluation.

                      Good luck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                        Got it. It's strange that they waste money (and a possible violation of the ADA) by giving the psychological test before the background portion. When I got hired you were asked medical and psychological questions before a decision was made to hire you. By the time I became a background investigtor, the ADA was being used by LE applicants who claimed they were not hired because of a disability, not a background issue.

                        To stop the lawsuits, most California agencies will not ask an applicant to disclose possible ADA issues until they know if the applicant meets their backgound hiring standards. Agencies will then make a conditional job offer that basically states an applicant will be given a job if they pass a psych test and a medical evaluation.

                        Good luck.
                        This is for a corrections position. They don't even have a medical evaluation. However, when we had our physical agility test we had to have a physical done by our own doctor in order to test for the agility aspect. After the background investigation comes the certification letter, then polygraph, and then final interview.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good information. Just be honest, explain everything and hope for the best. Good luck.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                            Good information. Just be honest, explain everything and hope for the best. Good luck.
                            Thanks for your help

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              From the looks of it it would seem that it is Cook County that you are applying to. If I'm right and it is Cook County, be COMPLETELY truthful, but also include that you now have a FOID card. They look for any unclear issues or problems and if they find something "off" it could lead to a DQ. I know Deputies that also were denied FOID cards for past issues, but the issues were resolved and they were hired. I wish the best of luck for you in getting hired by whichever Department it is that you are applying to.


                              ***NOT AN LEO SORRY***
                              Last edited by General54321; 11-13-2014, 12:01 AM. Reason: Not an LEO, not allowed to answer.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3171 users online. 166 members and 3005 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X