300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a law in your area?

This entitled "PHD" student got pulled over for "indignities to a police officer". While not nice, I have not seen a law against it in these parts. In fact, I think certain classes of workers have been, more or less, immune to having disorderly conduct performed against them (cops, medics, nurses).

So well it may be highly distasteful and uncivil to go up to a female cop and tell her she is an ugly, fat piece of garbage and ask her to move along because she is drawing flies, I don't know that there is anything she could legally do about it.

Here is the video, is this a law in your state?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfjG2zjwmk

First amendment gives you the right to speak out about government. Police are government. I don't think any state would try to write a law contrary to the first amendment and I doubt the Supreme Court would let them keep it.

Comment

For the most part, merely being rude to a police officer in my state is a First Amendment issue and unless the individual’s conduct violates some other law or somehow interferes, delays or obstructs the officer in the performance of their duties, no one really pays any attention.

However, I can remember one or two occasions in the past where the high pitch shrieking, guttural sounds or incomplete hollering emitted by an individual in a passing vehicle and/or their "frantic" gesturing has appeared to be a call for help or a signal of distress. In such cases the officers had a duty to stop the vehicle, contact the occupant who made the signal, remove them from the car so their responses would not be coerced by the other occupants, and ascertain whether the individual in question was in danger. Because the situation suggested the individual in question may have been kidnapped, the other occupants may have been treated in a high risk fashion until the true status of the matter was resolved.

Of course, if it was determined that no one was in harm’s way and this was a simple First Amendment issue, the occupants were dusted off, apologies were offered and it was explained why their conduct made them look like kidnappers. Everyone was then sent on their way, no harm, no foul.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1......A very reasonable response to a stuation frought with potential danger.

Comment

It use to be against the law in Ohio to curse at a police officer, but that law was repealed in the late 60s or early 70s.

Comment

So why is it that jacktards get ****ed off when we tell them they're ****ing stupid. Oh yeah... They can't handle the truth and whine about their rights being violated...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

In not all knowledgeable, but i believe, in SC, you wouldn't be able to pull someone over for saying "oink oink". Now if there were obscenities and it was audible to the public, them you could stop someone for disorderly conduct.

Of course, I imagine if you were rude to a cop, they may follow for a little while to see if you do something wrong, like not use turn signals within 100ft, license plate light out, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
                I

Of course, I imagine if you were rude to a cop, they may follow for a little while to see if you do something wrong, like not use turn signals within 100ft, license plate light out, etc.
                Who cares if they are rude? It wasn't enough for me to waste my time following them to see if they commit a traffic infraction.
                Retired

Comment

Not me either. I try to win hearts and minds. A scowl or stare in the hood gets a smile and wave from me. I try to be the type of cop I'd like to see.

Comment

Isn't there such an offence as "insult of an officer"? For example, Russian penal code states that an insult of an officer in connection with this officer fulfilling his duty is a crime. I'm not sure about American legislation though...
                    Originally posted by careerchange#2;n4360641
                    Young man everyone goes through tough times in life. You recognized the futile nature of your existence and attempted to employ deadly force to end it.

Sadly, while the situation warranted deadly force, you applied it unsuccessfully. Had you been successful, your chances of hiring would have increased significantly as it would count as past experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6790 users online. 349 members and 6441 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X