300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many departments did you apply to before you were hired

I'm currently in the process with two departments and will be applying to another department in January. I'm curious how many departments the police officers on here applied to before they were hired on.

Also the department that did hire you, was it your first choice.

It was forty eight years ago, It was my first application, I was lucky, and yes, it was my first (only) choice. Now, the disclaimer. My experience was not typical. Yours could vary widely. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

One and yes. But as Phil mentioned.Thats not typical or normal actually

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
        Same here.
        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

One department.
          Retired

Comment

I have applied to a total of six departments in the last 42 years and every one of them was dumb enough to hire me.
            never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

First and only.
              "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
              "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
              - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
              Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

A bunch--------------of course it was 1976 and I was "small for a cop" in those days.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Applied to 8 tested for 7. Hire by one then merged into 1st department. less than 12is good. Keep track as to what you've done for each ie application, written test etc. Will help when in background
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I put in for several federal gigs when I first retired, but never got farther than the application and I don't really count those.

My first "real" application to a local agency I was hired... but departments in the Colorado high-country have high turnover and few applicants, so the competition wasn't that stiff.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                      Same

Comment

20 or so in about 5 months but only tested with around 10 (self withdrew from most because I couldn't make the tests either because they over lapped on other tests or I didn't know the test date until after the posting closed).
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                        (")_(")
                        Copy and paste Bunny into your
                        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Four total, hired by the 4th.

Comment

I applied for a metric butt ton. My current department was the first I applied with, the first process to finish, and obviously the one that hired me. It was my first choice, plus the whole "bird in the hand" thing, so I dropped out of the remainder of the processes.

I was actually offered two jobs, as the second process ended 2 weeks after the first. I liked the department, but the pay was significantly lower (like $20k/year lower) after the first two years on either department.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

It was almost 40 years ago, but IIRC, believe it or not, I sent out 120 requests for applications, got back something like 98 responses & sent most of 'em in. To shorten the story, no I didn't get my first choice but eventually got on what I considered a pretty good PD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5302 users online. 304 members and 4998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X