300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area Officers? Basic Questions for Noobie

Hi, are there any officers here from the bay area? I had some basic questions I was hoping could get answered.

I would like to attend San Jose Police Academy beginning in June and am taking the proper steps in order to do so. Although San Jose is my front runner, I'm open to different agencies in the bay area. I took the P.O.S.T exam at the Academy (in the south bay) and plan on taking the Physical Agility Test next month at the Academy as well. A few questions:

1) Upon completion of both the P.O.S.T exam and the Physical Agility Test, are these results accepted when applying for other agencies? Or only San Jose.

2) Which cities in the bay area offer Police Academies? I'm aware San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose have Acadamies, but where else?

3) Upon completion of police academy, is it mandatory to become a member of that agency? Say I completed San Jose Police academy and upon graduation, can I seek different agencies as a lateral officer?

Thank you for your help.

You asked this in the California section.

It is considered bad form to ask the same question on multiple threads.

Comment

Just because you complete an academy does NOT make you a lateral. A lateral is a current, sworn Officer who has a POST Basic cert. That's a year after graduating, and working full time. You would be an academy grad. That's it.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You can go to the South Bay Regional academy, but I believe that SJPD's academy is only for their sponsored recruits. Recruits who are leaving for other agencies at an alarming rate. SJPD has serious issues and if the current mayor's boy gets elected, it'll get much worse.

Right now, you're crazy to go through any California academy as a non-affiliate. Plenty of agencies are hiring like crazy. Let someone pay you to go through.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Actually there are still many agencies who are not paying for the academy. It is getting better but a lot of agencies want academy grads or laterals only.

Comment

The San Jose PD issue has already been addressed… as far as other academies go, there is the ACSO (Alameda academy in Dublin), LETC (Contra Costa academy in Pittsburg) and the Napa Valley community college police academy. All excellent academies. Napa is by far the cheapest as far as costs go. Bay Area agencies hire a ton of recruits out of all of those academies.

I believe there is also another academy on the peninsula somewhere as well.

Comment

South Bay runs academies at Monterey Peninsula College (Marina) and College of San Mateo (as well as Evergreen College in San Jose.)

I think Santa Clara County S.O. takes self-sponsored recruits.

Comment

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Academy does not ACCEPT self sponsored people. They were nice and would allow you to finish out the Academy on a case by case basis but that hasn't happened for a while.

To the OP an agency academy is paid employees... You could try one of the community college Academies like South Bay or Napa. ALCO runs their own self sponsored non affiliated people but they are exception not the rule.
                semper destravit

Comment

Now that Prop 47 has passed - don't bother going into California law enforcement. It's not worth it. Many felonies now can only get a ticket given, and 10,000 felons will be released to the streets. The radical left is firmly in control of the state and does not want the police to have any ability to suppress crime.

It would be great to bring back the days when we were building prisons, judges were filling them and the voters were passing three strikes laws, but somewhere along the line California collapsed. They're well on the way to eliminating our pensions and benefits, they are neutering our ability to clean up the streets and they more often seek to punish officers who defend themselves against attackers.

Get out. Be a cop in some other state, one where your work will mean something. Give up on California.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3594 users online. 195 members and 3399 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X