300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding someone in NYC

Way back in the 70s I had a friend named Mario, he was about 12 and I was maybe 14, we both lived at Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village which was a nice university neighborhood back then. Marios' father Salvatore was horrible man, I saw him beat up Mario because he got the dog's chain tangled. Sal wouldn't even let Mario play with the action figure toys he got for Christmas, kicked the dog and I could tell he probably beat the wife up too.
    Sal was the superintendent of the building they lived in, they had the worst apartment in the building, ground floor, rear, windows facing a brick wall.
    Mario was a good, very nice kid despite his home life, but one day when he was around 16-17 his dad died of cancer and his mom basically walked out on Mario and moved to New Jersey.

Around that time I found out what happened and invited Mario to stay with me at my loft near by, but it didn't work well, he violated the curfew I put on him because my building was a commercial building and the front door was locked at 8 PM. I didn't want Mario disturbing the night man trying to get in after hours.
    He came in around midnight drunk, rang my bell but I refused to answer it, so he broke the window in the hallway thinking it was mine so he could get back in, but it was the clothing factory lofts' window, so that caused me some sticky moments explaning that the next day.

I also noticed pocket change in a jar was being "reduced" and he brought friends into my place after I said he could not bring people in.
    Sometime before this he was getting mixed up with a bad crowd in the park and getting involved with at the very least, alcohol and marijuana if not harder narcotics.

So I decided to make a call to a city juvenile social worker I knew, I talked to him about Mario and his situation and asked if there was anything he/the dept could do, he said he would see what he could do. So I packed Mario up, called a cab, put him and his bags in the cab, and paid the driver a little more than I figured the fare to downtown would be.

A little later I called the social worker and sure enough Mario did arrive and was sitting across from his desk at that moment in fact, so that was a good sign!
    That was the last time I ever heard from or saw Mario, and about a year later or less I moved to Brooklyn, so there would have no real way he could have contacted me if he wanted to, and a couple of years later I moved out of the city entirely.

All these years I've wondered what became of him, did I do the right thing, did calling the social worker help or make things worse...
    He had a lousy childhood and abusive father, getting mixed up with the bad crowd and drugs at 17, no family, no way to get into college or get a job, about the only avenue he had was selling drugs I think.

I believe he would have eventually been arrested on drug charges, so with that in mind I come to my question now!
    Is there a way someone here who is an officer can look up his name in the public criminal records database on the computer to find out anything for me, or is this something that would be against the rules?

I have his full name, a former address, approximate year of birth being 1961, caucasion, black hair but not much else.
    I've tried Google and telephone lookups, and even the SS death index and they all come up empty so I don't what else to try, I'm pretty sure he is still alive though I think the SS death index only lists those for whom a claim has been filed by a relative for benefits, so that's a dead end there.

Try Facebook. You may be surprised.........

Comment

Any cop caught using agency resources for personal resources would be severely disciplined. Google new york state inmate lookup. The NYS dept of Correction has a website that will allow you to search his name. If he did any time in a state pen he should be listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        Any cop caught using agency resources for personal resources would be severely disciplined.
        In some jurisdictions, even prosecuted.

Looking up a minor by address and approximate year of birth will almost always be unproductive. If you are really interested in locating him, get a private investigator to do a search. They could probably more readily locate him by checking the father's address and linking to him that way. PI's have access to more extensive database searches than ordinary citizens.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Try these:

http://a073-ils-web.nyc.gov/inmatelo...ommon/find.jsf
          http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/
          https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/web...ttorneyWelcome
          “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard to find him. There can't be more than one or two guys named Mario in New York City.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Thanks a lot, I tried all three and all three turned up blank, which in my mind I think would indicate he did not go through the criminal court system, at least in the NYC area which I think can only mean a couple or three things:

He was deceased shortly after the last time I saw him/before he could be arrested on any drug charges.

He moved out of the city. (seems very unlikely)

I suppose it's possible he could have been arrested on drug charges but had not gone through the prison system as an inmate (case dismissed, getting a plea deal/rehab that avoided prison etc)

Sure, I understand about the rule on personal use of the official system, I kind of thought that might be the case but figured I'd ask to be sure.
              I'll try facebook as someone suggested, but I guess if nothing turns up there I'll just have to conclude he is probably dead, or moved far away, and move on, I 'm not going to hire a P.I. it's not that important.

Looking up a minor by address and approximate year of birth will almost always be unproductive

Oh he was only a minor at the time, about 1978 he was about 17, I figured if he did get arrested on any drug charges it would have been later. He would be about 52 years old now.

Thanks everyone for your responses, suggestions and bit of humor!
              Last edited by Sculptor; 10-28-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Try the bureau of prisons website for federal crimes
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Or (slight possibility I know), he went straight.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                    Or (slight possibility I know), he went straight.
                    Hey anything is possible, maybe Mr Green the social worker got him into a good juvenile program, a place with a bed etc. I'm hoping that's the case but given his age at the time his dad died 16-17 and mom abandoned him, 17, it would seem unlikely he would be able to get out of that kind of situation without a concerted hand-up. NYC is a very tough place to try and crawl out of a hole in, especially for someone just leaving the protection of juvenile status and not yet an adult. it's very expensive and the lure of lots of money dealing drugs trumps a then $2.35 an hour dishwasher job, if a kid could even get one in his situation.
                    He was a good kid, very likable, but once drugs come into the picture things always go downhill and even I could see the change and it wasn't for the better.

I still have some guilt feelings sending him away and dropping him on Mr Greens' doorstep so to speak, he had to have been going through a lot of turmoil and anger, loss of his abusive dad, being suddenly homeless, but I just was not equipped to deal with any of it and I was not a social worker, psychiatrist or anythign else, I had a high rent to pay and worked 3 jobs and I was only 19-20 myself.

Still, everything came up blank, even the BOP inmate locator Iowa suggested comes up empty.
                    I searched facebook last night, about 22 people with his name came up, only one was in the correct age range but his picture and profile were way different and it said he was born in Italy.

So I draw a total blank which is wierd because I even found from the same childhood era 1970s- an old girlfriend in Queens NY in 15 minutes, I knew her dad's unique name (Greek) and their address in the 1970s, I found him in the SS death index in 2 minutes on the ancestor.com site, next to his listing was a "Spiro may also know or be associated with..." and several names were listed, one was "Madellain" and her last name which was different of course and unknown to me, as she married, and that was an immediate match and it had her general location as Astoria Queens NY, and the age was approximately correct too, so another search found her phone number and called her up.
                    Women are much harder to find as they change last names usually when they marry, yet I found her in 15 minutes but absolutely zip, nada, zilch on Mario!

I'm going to that SS death index and see if anything comes up, but if no one filed for death benefits- there would have been no one, I don't think he would be listed in that index.
                    Last edited by Sculptor; 10-29-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Finding someone in NYC

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      Shouldn't be too hard to find him. There can't be more than one or two guys named Mario in New York City.
                      Ahh Mario. I remember that guy. Didn't he hang out with that tall lanky kid, Luigi doing mushrooms! Hehe. Sorry couldn't help it.

Seriously a PI is the way to go if you really want to find him. Try geting a local PI from the area where you last knew he was. They may have know more. Have you tried calling the sosial worker to see if he remembers anything?

People who "fall out" with the law usually don't want to be found, that usually makes things alot harder. Did he have a nickname or an alias. If you want to do some foot work, I'd go back to the old neighborhood and ask around. Check out the local AA type groups and such.

[Cop disclaimer] Before you take this past the point of no return. Have you considered the fact that it may not be safe for you to seek contact with him? He might be unhappy with getting "turned inn" and a long life in the direction he was heading can make a man dangerous.

For the record I think you did the right thing getting him help!

Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for!
                      Last edited by E. Tackleberry; 10-30-2014, 02:58 AM. Reason: added some stuff

Comment

Friends and relatives who still reside in NYC and live upstanding lives might have leads on Mario and they are much easier to find. Contact those people first, ask them what they "heard" happened to Mario. I know when I visit my dad in Brooklyn all the old timers and many of the "kids" I grew up with are still there. Usually when I visit I talk to these people and ask about all the people we knew and what happened to them. Many of them are still in contact with each other or at least know where and what happened to whole families of people. Legwork 101 for Detectives. Like Hemicop said face book can get you in touch with tons of people from the old neighborhood. They would probably love to hear from you and shoot the Sh**t about the good old days. You'll have an idea soon enough of what became of Mario.
                        Last edited by BNWS; 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I don't think you need to file for benefits to make it into the SS Death Index. Just pay into SS.

Maybe he went into the military. It was very common at that time to be told by a Judge that you could either go to jail or enlist. I had a schoolmate who got that option. He died in a car accident in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Tackleberry View Post
                            Ahh Mario. I remember that guy. Didn't he hang out with that tall lanky kid, Luigi doing mushrooms! Hehe. Sorry couldn't help it.
                            LOL!

Seriously a PI is the way to go if you really want to find him. Try geting a local PI from the area where you last knew he was. They may have know more. Have you tried calling the sosial worker to see if he remembers anything?
                            Yeah, a PI is probably about the only avenue left since everything else came up so blank, I just don't want to spend that kind of money to do this. I did find two other old friends recently with some basic searching, but one was a co-worker of mine around 1980 and he is about 75 or a little more, I called him but disapointedly, during our conversation on the phone he just could not remember me, we worked together for five years and I was sure he would remember me, my huge collection of artifacts I had and that he got me the job in the building as a night watchman, but he just couldn't remember- any of it!
                            I think he may have a little memory loss or early alzheimers. I almost wished I hadn't called when I did, too much time had passed and now his memory is poor. I sent him a copy of my book, though I never heard a word back about it.

The other, but further back- childhood friend did remember me after a few minutes and we had a great conversation, I also sent her my book as well, though never a word back from her either, not even a "thanks for the book"

People who "fall out" with the law usually don't want to be found, that usually makes things alot harder. Did he have a nickname or an alias. If you want to do some foot work, I'd go back to the old neighborhood and ask around. Check out the local AA type groups and such.

[Cop disclaimer] Before you take this past the point of no return. Have you considered the fact that it may not be safe for you to seek contact with him? He might be unhappy with getting "turned inn" and a long life in the direction he was heading can make a man dangerous.
                            He did not have a nickname or alias when I knew him. Sure, on your disclaimer, we never can know for sure, time and circumstances changes people, and not always for the better as you know, I honestly don't think he was ever a violent type, at least I never saw any evidence, but then drugs and time, who knows! I'm 1500 miles away from NYC I'm not the least bit concerned, but it also makes walking around the old neighborhood extremely unlikely since I hate travel with a passion and will not get on a plane either.
                            The neighborhood is a college area- it is basically the NY University (NYU) "campus," NYU essentially took over the park and the whole neighborhood.

For the record I think you did the right thing getting him help!
                            Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for!
                            Well, thanks a lot for that, I really hope you are right and I think you are probably right, he had only one direction to go the way he was going- downhill to jail or dead, I did try to open an alternate door for him, I can only hope he walked through it.
                            I don't really have the city social workers' full name any more, I'm lucky I remember just his last name Green or Greene... and that he was African-American and a really neat fellow, but that was 34 years ago and I'm sure he was in his 40s or 50s back then.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                              Friends and relatives who still reside in NYC and live upstanding lives might have leads on Mario and they are much easier to find. Contact those people first, ask them what they "heard" happened to Mario.
                              Thanks a lot for the ideas BNWS, I'm really drawing a blank there, his dad died of course and I sure can't remember what Marios' moms' name was, she's probably deceased by now too.
                              They had a small black dog named "Lady" but that doesn't help I remember the dogs' name, but not his mom, go figure.
                              There are three other names I remember and I might do some searching on those too, I know I did that before on one of them but never came up with the right person and I think the first name I knew him by "Vance" might have been his middle name.
                              The girlfriend I called knew Mario but she had lost contact many years ago too with him.

I don't think you need to file for benefits to make it into the SS Death Index. Just pay into SS.

Maybe he went into the military. It was very common at that time to be told by a Judge that you could either go to jail or enlist.
                              I wonder... I don't know how that works, I guess I assumed to get in that database someone like a relative had to file a claim for the SS survivors' benefits, but you might be right there, certainly worth to try some more searches in it.
                              Military might be possible too since he really had little options at his age to get any real education, skills or money, the military certainly would have been about the only avenue that would have given him all three.

Mario I were a lot of fun, we used to take my mom's portable tape recorder and go all over the place with a hand-held microphone and "interview" people on the streets, and go in stores, just clowning around, I still have the audio tapes from 1976 which I converted to mp3 a couple of years ago.
                              Last edited by Sculptor; 10-31-2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4173 users online. 262 members and 3911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X