Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get my police certification on my own or hold out for a department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get my police certification on my own or hold out for a department?

There's a school near by which officer peace officers certification. It would cost me 5grand to complete. And if I don't get hired within a year I have to go pay for a recert. Maybe I should keep concentrating on another career in Corrections, it seems to be easier to get hired.

Me personally I couldn't afford to pay to get my certification on my own. Its really up to you and if you can afford it and how bad you want be in this line of work. I know in my area if you have certification and a clean area you'd be hired within a year. From what you wrote though if your already talking about giving up and doing corrections, this job is probably not for you.

Comment

Think of it this way. Attending an academy does not equal employment. Just because you paid for it doesn't mean you'll pass all the hiring requirements for an agency. So you spend 5k and get the training, you apply and get denied, you take the recertification after a year if applying, still nothing. How much money are you going to throw at it? Are you willing to take the hit of income while you take classes that may never be put to use?

Out of all applicants, roughly 10% get interviewed, 10% of those will make it through the rest of the hiring processes, and then only about 50% make a career out of it. So out of all police applicants, only roughly 0.5% of them will become a retired officer. That's why only about 3% of the US population are officers. It's a tough to get into.

Comment

We've done numerous in depth discussions on this very subject. Rather than commend you to the Search Function, I'll offer you this. Attendance at a self sponsor can be a considerable crap shoot. Many of these schools are all too willing to take your hard earned cash, graduate you, and essentially dump you into a still very toxic hiring environment.

In choosing to attend a self sponsor academy, you'd do well to check it's accreditation. it's standing with area law enforcement agencies, and the percentage of it's "graduates" departments normally employ.

Much too, will depend on the area in which you live. In some areas of the country, smaller agencies especially, won't even look at you unless you're already certified. Determine whether or not you live in one of these areas.

Ideally, you'd be employed by an agency which runs it's own academy. These include State Police/Highway Patrol, many larger cities and counties. Past that, research into what will work best for you is in your best interests. Now, I will suggest you visit the "search function". In doing so, you'll find a wealth of information on this topic. Good luck.

Comment

I'd PERSONALLY, wait to get hired and sent to that agency's academy.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your inputs. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Get hired and get paid for going.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Tons of Places hiring. I graduated in the August academy which was the 58th. And the 59th is in they are almost set for the 60th to start and the 61 they are hiring to start in May. You might want to give my County a try. ITs a hard county to get on but they are trying to get a lot of people in.

Comment

It can depend on a number of factors. Some departments will only hire certified officers, while others will send even laterals through the academy. If you do pay your way make sure you choose one that gives you a solid shot at landing a job.
                  In God We Trust
                  Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Whats your county?

I got a call yesterday from one of the county sheriffs to set up a home interview. So hopefully I don have to pay my way after all.
                    Originally posted by Keaner1476 View Post
                    Tons of Places hiring. I graduated in the August academy which was the 58th. And the 59th is in they are almost set for the 60th to start and the 61 they are hiring to start in May. You might want to give my County a try. ITs a hard county to get on but they are trying to get a lot of people in.

Comment

I paid my way in the academy and was a reserve deputy for a number of years until I got hired as a road officer. Nowadays it's like pulling teeth getting a cop job depending where you're applying. If you pay for your own academy, at least find an agency that offers an auxiliary/reserve section where you can keep your certification in check. While doing so you're getting experience and building your resume. Volunteer experience can go a long way in addition to having a clean driving record, no criminal record, solid work history, delivering solid interviews, and having a well-rounded, people-oriented personality.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6254 users online. 343 members and 5911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X