Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many hours does a police officer typically work?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hours does a police officer typically work?

To those that have just started policing, and to those that have been on duty many years, I am curious, what is your weekly schedule? How many hours does a police officer typically work? I understand it will always be different. Anyways, I will be applying for the LA Academy soon. This was just a simple, curious question I had.

Have a great week

I think the minimum Ive worked in a week is 43 hours so far and a high of 56. It just depends on staffing, calls taken, and paperwork that needs completed.

Comment

A lot.......

Comment

Originally posted by Tolentino View Post
        To those that have just started policing, and to those that have been on duty many years, I am curious, what is your weekly schedule? How many hours does a police officer typically work? I understand it will always be different. Anyways, I will be applying for the LA Academy soon. This was just a simple, curious question I had.

Have a great week

Typical shifts are 8, 10, and 12 hrs.......................

GENERALLY = 8's work 5 days a week, 10's work 4 days a week, 12's work 3 days a week

Overtime is calculated various ways depending on the state and the agency NORMALLY over 40 hrs a week, but it also can be calculated using a MONTHLY total. I forget the number of hours under that calculation and don't wish to look it up
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We work twelves. 5 days one week and 2 the next.

That doesn't count things like working out (1.5 hours before work on day shift, 2-3 hours early on nights), mandatory training, or reports/prosecution reports/evidence that you don't have time to do before your shift ends.

Comment

Patrol works 12s.... 8am - 8pm OR 8pm to 8am

SRO/CID/Admin works 8s... M-F, 7am - 3pm, 8am - 4pm, OR 9am - 5pm
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

10s here; 4 on, 3 off.

Comment

Investigators/detectives generally put in more hours due to overtime.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

"Work" can be a relative term. Perhaps you mean "on the clock."

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post
                    We work twelves. 5 days one week and 2 the next.

That doesn't count things like working out (1.5 hours before work on day shift, 2-3 hours early on nights), mandatory training, or reports/prosecution reports/evidence that you don't have time to do before your shift ends.
                    My department is the exact same

Comment

Patrol works 4 days on, 10 hour days. I work warrants so we are 8-5. We do extradition runs so we get a lot of overtime for that.

Comment

3/12s with an 8 hour day every other week. 8 hour day is chosen by seniority, typically the sergeant gets a friday as a short day.

Comment

I'm working 12s now, but worked 5 8-hour days for 8 years (which sometimes turned into 12 hour days).
                          Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                          Among Texas' finest
                          Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                          Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                          Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Officially I work 4x10. Most other jail deputies work 2x12 on, 2 off. The longest shift I've worked was 15-ish hours, and the most I've worked in a month was 220-ish hours.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Work is a matter of interpretation (read my sig line) but our patrol units work 3 12's, we have a traffic unit that works 5 8's as do the tactical pencil pushers and investigations. In actuality, things like reports, court, and those calls that come in near the end of shift push those hours out. Add in OT details and pretty soon you find that you are working quite a bit more than just a 40 hour week. Oh yeah, there is training too.
                              In God We Trust
                              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3068 users online. 179 members and 2889 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X