300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Female Situation

Before you read this is a little private, however, I just need to straight up ask:

Here it goes

First a little about me: Female, 26yrs, soon applying for the Academy (LA)
    ....since 13, I have always had severe painful menstruation. Sometimes pain killers don't work, and Ive tried every natural remedy/pain medication out there. Over the years I have learned to just sit through the pain. Usually I stay in bed (its that bad) I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis (painful periods). I have regular check ups with my doctors.

My question is: I am fit and can handle tough situations, however, I am terrified I won't be able to handle the Academy when I am at that time of the month. I get weak, and can barely get up for 2 days and I bleed a lot. Yes I said it. I can up my dose of Motrin so I am confident I can make it through, BUT my question is: How often will I be able to use the restroom? I will need to use the restroom at least once every 1-2 hours or I will leave a "mess" .....Females please give me your thoughts. Or males, if you can give me an honest answer, great. I appreciate it.

Let me also add, this issue usually interferes a lot of occasions. I really want this career, and I don't want to let my disease take over my life. I even thought about getting a hysterectomy! No kids for me, but thats not the point

.....there I said it. Whew!
    Last edited by Tolentino; 10-20-2014, 02:01 AM.

The bottom line is---------------------you need to be 100%--------------100% of the time.

Scenario----You are assigned to patrol and it's that time. You are called to a hostage situation and assigned to cover the back yard..........You might be there 1 or 2 hours BEFORE the negotiators get there.............and it goes up from there.

Scenario------Accident on the interstate where the road is blocked. You are assigned to stop traffic on one end. It's a fatal so the Technical AI team is called in--------------------Average AI time around our area for a fatal is 3 hours

As far as at the academy--------------1-2 hrs is no problem, you are just going to have to let the instructors know
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Crazy thought, but have you ever considered chiropractic treatments for this condition?

I know it may sound a bit far out, but I once heard a woman give a presentation on chiropractic medicine and she said it was the only thing able to bring relief to her painful menstruation.

Good luck!
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Thanks for the real life scenarios. When I am on duty, I am confidant I will have no issues, as by then I should have had a hysterectomy. It is mostly the academy I was worried about. When I get paid and get insurance my problems will be solved. I will also look in to chiropractors as well. Thanks!

Comment

Birth control injections will cut down on the menstruation. Have you tried that?

Comment

I know from my wife's past issue with Endometriosis she wouldn't have been able to complete the physical activities during her cycle if she had been in this line of work. But I've seen female officers with it and do the job but I've also seen some who miss a lot of work due to it. I think it would be totally up to you to make it. I wouldn't hide it even though it may be embarrassing but also don't use it as an excuse.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
              I know from my wife's past issue with Endometriosis she wouldn't have been able to complete the physical activities during her cycle if she had been in this line of work. But I've seen female officers with it and do the job but I've also seen some who miss a lot of work due to it. I think it would be totally up to you to make it. I wouldn't hide it even though it may be embarrassing but also don't use it as an excuse.
              Thanks for the input. I hate that this controls my life. And I dont want to do a half *** job as an officer because of this...for any reason. I want to be at my best, and unfortunately, this issue wont let me do that. I HAVE to figure it out. Thanks though.

Comment

I'm curious how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions that you've gotten (from doctors).

I sympathize with you and ironically, my cousin also had the condition and a doctor advised that having children may help, she did and it did. Obviously you're not in a position to do that right now.

At 26, I'd be concerned about making a permanent decision about having a family.

See someone that specializes in this. If it dosen't help, see someone else that specializes in it.

Good luck. I do sympathize.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I have endometriosis and for me the solution was a laparoscopy to remove adhesions and birth control pills taken continuously (= no periods = best thing ever). As others have said, it's crucial to get your symptoms under control. Where I work, it's usually not a big deal to get someone to relieve you for a bathroom break if you're stuck on a long call, but if you're weak and in pain you could be a danger to yourself and others.

Talk to your doctor, or maybe a different doctor, about a way to regulate menstruation and remove the root cause of the symptoms. You don't have to suffer! Given the thorough medical history many agencies require, your best shot will be to have your endometriosis under control by the time you are ready to apply for jobs. I was lucky to get treatment in college and have not taken a sick day since.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno View Post
                    I have endometriosis and for me the solution was a laparoscopy to remove adhesions and birth control pills taken continuously (= no periods = best thing ever). As others have said, it's crucial to get your symptoms under control. Where I work, it's usually not a big deal to get someone to relieve you for a bathroom break if you're stuck on a long call, but if you're weak and in pain you could be a danger to yourself and others.

Talk to your doctor, or maybe a different doctor, about a way to regulate menstruation and remove the root cause of the symptoms. You don't have to suffer! Given the thorough medical history many agencies require, your best shot will be to have your endometriosis under control by the time you are ready to apply for jobs. I was lucky to get treatment in college and have not taken a sick day since.
                    Thanks all! I have gotten recommendations to take Motrin, stronger pain killers, muscle relaxers like Naproxen. Then there is Birth control which I tried for a month but decided to stop due to the heavy headaches it gave me. Then Ive gotten "have kids" which I don't want kids. And then theres the Hysterectomy...which I side with more. My main plan is to just stick through the academy with birth control and just not have my periods at all. And then when I get insurance and graduate, ill most likely end this burden with a Hysterectomy.

Comment

I get weak, and can barely get up for 2 days and I bleed a lot.
                      You have to find a way to control or circumvent the problem.

There's no way you would have been able to complete the academy I attended being unable to function for 2-3 days per month, or more. There is also usually a gap between when you begin a job and are covered by medical, and you may not have the opportunity to take a week or so off for an elective surgery immediately after getting hired.

I have Type I diabetes, so I'm familiar with the curse of having a condition or illness that controls your life. I've been able to get it under control to the point that I was able to attend the academy and function as a peace officer without putting myself or others at risk.

I'd encourage you to find a way to resolve or manage the problem BEFORE enrolling in an academy. It would be unfortunate if you paid for your academy, bought uniforms and whatnot, then had to drop out for medical reasons. I believe you CAN find a way to manage this if you really put your mind to it.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

That was a big worry for me also...I had bad cramps but not endometriosis. I would suggest finding a birth control that works (either pills other than what you tried or IUD or something.) Even without bad cramps, dropping a gun belt on your belly & back once a month HURTS! Bathroom breaks really aren't a problem unless you are stuck on a case. (This was actually addressed in my academy as part of our training...women need to pee or else you get infections. Weird but true.) Chiropractic may help & is worth checking in to.

You can take Motrin but not most muscle relaxers or stronger pain killers. I feel your pain as I had both severe cramps and migraines. Kudos to you for actually asking this question. (Much better than, "I was arrested as an accessory to pimping, can I still be a cop?")

Comment

There are a numerous different types of birth control pills. Try a different one. They don't all cause the same side effects.

Eaglel--I'm glad the infections w/ female officers was addressed. It's very true, studies have proven it. Not weird at all in my opinion.
                          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Just call in sick when it's too bad to function. You can be sick in the academy

Comment

I too am glad you had the courage to address the issue. It is one of the unique challenges that we face in the job. I had to try several different birth control pills before I found something that worked for me. I finally found one that pushed it back enough to where I was at least able to deal with things. I also agree on chiropractic being a big help. In my opinion everyone would benefit from it. My chiro has not only helped with my periods, but also my migraines too.
                              In God We Trust
                              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5044 users online. 283 members and 4761 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X