300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay cops

It's 2014. Is being gay in uniform still a big deal, or is it generally accepted these days?

Originally posted by MatthewSmith View Post
    It's 2014. Is being gay in uniform still a big deal, or is it generally accepted these days?
    I never had a problem serving with a gay officer.
    Retired

Comment

No, not in the NYPD. Look up Sgt. Charles Cochrane, NYPD, a great cop and boss. He lead the way for Gay officers in the '80's and started GOAL, the Gay Officers Action League. I and many others had the pleasure of working for him and have never heard a bad word. RIP Sarge, truly a Cops Cop.
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Most of the people I work around could care less about a person's sexual orientation. All most of us care about when it comes to fellow law enforcement officers are if they will have your back, if they are officer safety conscious and if they are workers. The only time I see sexual orientation brought up as an issue is from gay/lesbian groups with an agenda. Don't let your sexual orientation stop you from joining our ranks. On the other hand, don't use it as a crutch as to why you did not succeed.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Holy crap, is this a real thread?
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
            Holy crap, is this a real thread?
            Nope. I think the illegal ISIS immigrants with Ebola have come here by order of the government to cause a stir with Fox News breaking in to regular programming for a minute by minute coverage of our responses. Now where is my tin foil?

Comment

Geez... Is this going to go the way of VA Police and minority hiring?
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I don't think anyone really cares anymore.
                Last edited by Item9; 10-17-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

We have several gay people working at my department. Nobody bats an eye.

I don't care who you sleep with or who you marry. All I care about is them making it over a fence if I'm getting my *** kicked and if they can put lead downrange when needed.
                  There once was a man who said: "Though,
                  it seems that I know that I know,
                  what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
                  when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

Not that there's anything wrong with that........

We have several homosexual officers in our agency, and they are treated like everyone else as far as I know. One of my favorite sergeants was, but he has since passed away.

I'm not going to pick out every one in my agency, but there is a female in my academy right now because of my encouragement. She will make a very good officer in the upcoming months.

My favorite cop show, "Southland" had a main character who was a homosexual, and it made way way too much drama out of it. It messed up the show because I just don't see it as being a problem in the real world.

Comment

Bottom line: If you're gay and considering becoming a police officer, you should focus your soul-searching on other aspects of the career. Things like working midnights and weekends, lack of sleep, constant stupid cop questions from family and friends, people introducing you as "Matthew the cop," dead babies, constant second-guessing and armchair quarterbacking from the public, an administration with whom you do not agree, and other aspects of the lifestyle are going to affect you far more than being gay. Like one of my esteemed colleague said, no one cares anymore.
                      MAC

Comment

Definite "non-issue". Needs to stay that way.

Comment

I don't give a ****, pun fully intended, what someone does in their bedroom/kitchen/garage/basement/shower/broom closet with another consenting adult(s) as long as they've got my back when the **** hits the fan.

Comment

Its a big deal everywhere now. Its being mandated nation wide that all gay cops must wear these kind of shorts.

Comment

gay
                              ɡā/
                              adjective

lighthearted and carefree.
                              "Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"
                              It really depends on the situation. Sometimes when in uniform you need to be fairly serious. If you're on the scene of a death or sexual assault, lightheartedness and joking around would be pretty inappropriate. But other times it's perfectly alright to be gay in uniform. My shiftmates and I had a gay old time last night responding to an old alcoholic who was flashing her ta-tas at a security guard.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6162 users online. 347 members and 5815 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X