Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD. Is this the right career for me?

Hello. I have been thinking about getting into law enforcement for about a year now (I need a career change.) I am 25 years old and a very petit female. I am 5'1 and 105lbs. I would love to apply to the Lapd Academy! I have an AA Degree in Music. I am pretty tough, in great shape and am not afraid to be a cop (hoping to become a detective or work with k9s. I can handle pretty tough situations. But with my height, would I be criticized constantly for being 5'1? Would I be able to even handle the Academy? I have been doing research for quite a while now and it gets more interesting for me. I would like to speak to any females or any officers in my position personally. I don't have any friends or family that are in LE. I have so many questions!
    Also, what is the difference between training to be a peace officer vs the actual police academy?
    Thanks all!

It's all about you passing. Size doesn't matter.
    Peace Office is the same as Police Office.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

OK, it's been awhile since I've been there, but try www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website which deals with mainly LAPD applicants and those seeking information concerning the LAPD hiring process. You'll find some very friendly helpful people on this site, and they should be able to answer many of your questions.

Additionally, I would not limit myself to LAPD, but look into other agencies in the Los Angeles area. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Thanks! I will look in to it.
        I see LAPD because it pays to train. I wouldn't want to pay and go to a college to train (I have loans from my previous degree! and dont have an income.)
        Are there any other Academies like LA? ...around or near?

Comment

Originally posted by Tolentino View Post
          Thanks! I will look in to it.
          I see LAPD because it pays to train. I wouldn't want to pay and go to a college to train (I have loans from my previous degree! and dont have an income.)
          Are there any other Academies like LA? ...around or near?
          Pretty much every agency in California either has it's own academy or sends their hires to a neighboring acadmey
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your point is indeed well taken. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept has an excellent academy, and I believe they also train for some other agencies. You would have to have been hired by these agencies though.

Comment

The Academy will teach you how to handle various situations. I know several officers your size or smaller.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Only you know if you can handle it, it's up to you. I know smaller officers, I myself am somewhat vertically challenged.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

LASD had a force instructor who was 5 foot 0 and would apply an *** whooping of pain to you
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Translation: Doesn't matter how big or small you are.

Comment

I am 5'3" and around 120. It is not about size. It all comes down to what is inside you, and only you know the answer to that.
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I myself am pretty small as well. Female 110 pounds and 5 feet tall. Currently in the process of becoming an officer on the East coast. In the beggining I was hesitant as well but with the support of my family and friends and interning with a police department I know it is possible and like everyone else said it's not about size. So you are not alone !

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3993 users online. 258 members and 3735 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X