Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Officer Starting Midnights

Hey everyone,

So I just graduated the academy, and I start midnight's on Monday. This will be my first job working from 2200-0630. I'm looking for suggestions from people who work midnight's on how to stay awake, and the best sleep pattern so I won't be dead when I work.

Thanks again.
    Police Officer
    Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department

"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just..." - Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by brand1399 View Post
    and the best sleep pattern so I won't be dead when I work.

Thanks again.
    Whatever works for you------------------everyone is different

Ask around your shift and try each for a while until you find something that works-------------then when that doesn't work anymore (it will happen) try something else
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've spent five years on the yard, and the single most important thing that I can recommend is blackout curtains. Dedicate a room to sleeping during the day, and black it out. Make sure it's cold in there too, like a cave; you should have no idea what time of day it is from inside that room. When the lights go out, it should be *pitch black* in there. If any daylight gets in, it will **** with your sleep. Humans are designed to sleep at night, so the key is to make your body think it's nighttime.

I also hit the gym after work, because it wears me out before I go home to hit the sack. Good luck.

Comment

Good tips Chomp... Thanks man.
        Police Officer
        Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department

"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just..." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
          I've spent five years on the yard, and the single most important thing that I can recommend is blackout curtains. Dedicate a room to sleeping during the day, and black it out. Make sure it's cold in there too, like a cave; you should have no idea what time of day it is from inside that room. When the lights go out, it should be *pitch black* in there. If any daylight gets in, it will **** with your sleep. Humans are designed to sleep at night, so the key is to make your body think it's nighttime.

I also hit the gym after work, because it wears me out before I go home to hit the sack. Good luck.
          Pretty much what he said, except I like to lift before or during (if I have time) work. I work 18:00-06:00 for almost a year now and I like it more than day shift. The main reason I like night shift over day shift is that we get more of the action than day shift. The only negative is when its slow at night shift, its really slow and hard to stay awake at times.
          Last edited by tj05 ; 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but that and caffeine drinks help. Also, I try to take an hour nap before I get ready for graves. It is right in the middle of family time since we go in at 2100 hrs, but it helps enough to warrant it for 4 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
              Pretty much what he said, except I like to lift before or during (if I have time) work. I work 18:00-06:00 for almost a year now and I like it more than day shift. The main reason I like night shift over day shift is that we get more of the action than day shift. The only negative is when its slow at night shift, its really slow and hard to stay away at times.
              Lift.. during work? Brother, I wanna come to your agency! Around these parts, only firefighters get to do that.

Comment

Lift.. during work? Brother, I wanna come to your agency! Around these parts, only firefighters get to do that.
                My division allows everyone 1 hour per shift to go towards working out.

Im on mids. My shift is 1930-0700. On the night before my first shift I stay up as late as possible and then sleep as late as I can. Then I just crash after that first shift then I am good for the next three nights.

Good Luck. I love midnight shift.

Comment

We get a hour long break each shift, I lift instead of eat sometimes.

Comment

Start with apostrophe management. Apostrophes are never used to make a plural (i.e. "midnights," not "midnight's"). Your writing will establish your reputation in this job.
                    MAC

Comment

Like everyone else has stated, establish a sleeping pattern and try to stick to it. I'm the opposite of most people, I have always had trouble sleeping at night. Day shift is killing me. I rarely fall asleep before 0030 hours and have to wake up at 0500 hours.

Stay safe.

Comment

Everyone has their own midnight routine. I always laid down and took a nap for an hour or two before I got up, showered and headed in. The nap and the shower let me start out feeling fresh (or as fresh as you can working mids).

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                          Like everyone else has stated, establish a sleeping pattern and try to stick to it. I'm the opposite of most people, I have always had trouble sleeping at night. Day shift is killing me. I rarely fall asleep before 0030 hours and have to wake up at 0500 hours.

Stay safe.
                          I have to agree with this. My body thinks that I am supposed to be up all night. There are a lot of times ( like now) that I am wide awke at this time even though I have been up since 0600. I am not a fan of days.
                          In God We Trust
                          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I've worked "God's shift" for almost 15 years, and I can attest to having your room as dark as possible. I have tried it all, and the best I have found are "Blackout EZ" curtains. My room is as dark at noon as it is at midnight. As for your routine, trial and error. I generally unwind for an hour and a half or so, sleep, get up, get coffee, and work out.

Comment

For me, i did a 6p-6a and i was fine up until around 4 a then i would get tired. Be sure to keep busy at that time. Then you should catch a second wind and be alright til the end of duty.

Best thing is to find what works for you. Some like to stay up in the morning then sleep until shift. Others like to go to sleep as soon as they get home and have some time before work.

Its rough, but once u establish a pattern, its not too bad.
                              sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5362 users online. 313 members and 5049 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X