Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this disqualify me?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will this disqualify me?

    Ok I am 21 years old and I attend a local community college I've been applying to different departments for the last few months. My record is pretty much spotless except for a few things.

    1. Underaged drinking. I was never caught by the police or anything but I've drank under age.
    2. I have a 3 different tickets. One was for driving in the carpool lane, another for talking on the phone, and a fix it ticket for not having a front plate.
    3. This is the worst one, when I was 14 I got in a fight in middle school and a police report was filed because I gave the kid a black eye. I was ordered to take 4 hours of anger management classes and write the kid an apology letter.

    Will any of the things listed create a problem?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bird24 View Post
    Ok I am 21 years old and I attend a local community college I've been applying to different departments for the last few months. My record is pretty much spotless except for a few things.

    1. Underaged drinking. I was never caught by the police or anything but I've drank under age.


    2. I have a 3 different tickets. One was for driving in the carpool lane, another for talking on the phone, and a fix it ticket for not having a front plate.
    3. This is the worst one, when I was 14 I got in a fight in middle school and a police report was filed because I gave the kid a black eye. I was ordered to take 4 hours of anger management classes and write the kid an apology letter.

    Will any of the things listed create a problem?
    Just be sure to disclose all of those things to your background investigator when/if you make it that far. They will ask you of such thing as illegal activity and tickets. The only thing you can do is be honest across the board and hope for the best.

    Best of luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
      Just be sure to disclose all of those things to your background investigator when/if you make it that far. They will ask you of such thing as illegal activity and tickets. The only thing you can do is be honest across the board and hope for the best.

      Best of luck.
      EDIT..............this is what I would have written
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-10-2014, 06:49 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
        Just be sure to disclose all of those things to your background investigator when/if you make it that far. They will ask you of such thing as illegal activity and tickets. The only thing you can do is be honest across the board and hope for the best.

        Best of luck.
        What he said, good luck.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is just a personal note, but damned if I'm not concerned about your "fight" at fourteen. Not in the way you might think either. The cops were called, and you had to write the other kid a letter of apology. Guess it's a sign of the times. That said, yeah, disclose it. Disclose the citations, and work at being a competitive and viable candidate.

          Comment


          • #6
            It would be impossible to get a job in law enforcement if the "issues" you listed would cause you any trouble. Like others have said, just be completely honest and you should be fine.
            Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bird24 View Post
              Ok I am 21 years old and I attend a local community college I've been applying to different departments for the last few months. My record is pretty much spotless except for a few things.

              1. Underaged drinking. I was never caught by the police or anything but I've drank under age.
              2. I have a 3 different tickets. One was for driving in the carpool lane, another for talking on the phone, and a fix it ticket for not having a front plate.
              3. This is the worst one, when I was 14 I got in a fight in middle school and a police report was filed because I gave the kid a black eye. I was ordered to take 4 hours of anger management classes and write the kid an apology letter.

              Will any of the things listed create a problem?
              I would say your biggest hurdle is your age combined with your three tickets. The tickets are not deal breakers, however they show a pattern of disregard for the law. You didn't say how long ago the tickets were issued, however because you're twenty-one, I would assume you received them all within the last five years.

              I was hired at a very young age as were several of the other forum members. That being said, there are departments that will not hire young officers/deputies unless they have military/college (or both). Now combine your age with tickets that show a lack of respect for the law (carpool violation, cell phone and no front plate) and it will be an uphill battle at this time. Now lets say you obtain a bachelors degree, learn a foreign language, have a positive employment record and are ticket/violation/arrrest free for five more years. You have just made yourself a competitive applicant.

              Good luck in your endeavors.

              Comment


              • #8
                Make yourself more viable. I agree with the others. Your age is a possible hurdle.

                Learn a second and/or third language. You can study on your own, (I recommend that) and not rack up more student loan debt.

                It really irked me that you wrote that the police were called due to your fight as a 14 y/o. As was noted, a sign of the times, but unless the other person involved was a 6 y/o girl---I think that's pretty freaking insane to involve anyone other than MAYBE the school principal if it was during school hours.

                Don't worry about student loan debt, alot of people have it, just keep paying it. A co-worker of mine just finished paying off his, and
                he's in his 30s.

                Slow down. I drive fast too, but it's not a good thing. Good luck to you.
                Last edited by Zeitgeist; 10-11-2014, 06:45 AM.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I actually speak 2 different languages other then English and I'm fluent in both. I can see what you all are saying about my age and I agree. Once again thanks for the help.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                    I would say your biggest hurdle is your age combined with your three tickets. The tickets are not deal breakers, however they show a pattern of disregard for the law. You didn't say how long ago the tickets were issued, however because you're twenty-one, I would assume you received them all within the last five years.

                    I was hired at a very young age as were several of the other forum members. That being said, there are departments that will not hire young officers/deputies unless they have military/college (or both). Now combine your age with tickets that show a lack of respect for the law (carpool violation, cell phone and no front plate) and it will be an uphill battle at this time. Now lets say you obtain a bachelors degree, learn a foreign language, have a positive employment record and are ticket/violation/arrrest free for five more years. You have just made yourself a competitive applicant.

                    Good luck in your endeavors.
                    Thanks for the response, By your profile I can see that you work for the sheriffs department. One of the agencies that I am currently going through the hiring process with is with the Santa Clara County Sheriffs. Got any tips?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bird24 View Post
                      Thanks for the response, By your profile I can see that you work for the sheriffs department. One of the agencies that I am currently going through the hiring process with is with the Santa Clara County Sheriffs. Got any tips?
                      I work for a sheriff's department, not Santa Clara. I don't have any tips, other than the answer to your original question. Santa Clara is a great department. Good luck to you.

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 4942 users online. 289 members and 4653 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X