300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPS show close to reality?

I was wondering if the show COPS is close to how things are/supposed to be done, or are things exaggerated because of the fact that it's on TV. The other question I have is why is it that most of the time the officer that arrives on the scene first never puts a person who is being arrested in his cruiser. It seems like they are always putting in another officer's car, who came later.

and is every suspect a crack-head?

Comment

Yes, they are identical to the real thing. Everything that you se is just like it is in real life.
      Retired

Comment

The other question I have is why is it that most of the time the officer that arrives on the scene first never puts a person who is being arrested in his cruiser. It seems like they are always putting in another officer's car, who came later.

Uhmmmm... the camera guys are not always in the first unit to arrive. You can't assume that just because it's on TV they will be the first ones to every call. With that said, you can't have a camera man or anyone from the production crew ride with your suspect -so I guess they have someone else transport.

Just do a few ride alongs and most of your questions will be answered.
        "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, they are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

They're probably like our dept. in that the cruisers the supervisors drive don't have partitions or cages to separate the susect and officer. Can't put the suspet in the same vehicle for officer safety and film crew liability issues.

The Lt.'s cars are generally nicer and suffer less from the effects of every day patrol work. The dept. is also trying to put their best foot forward so they provide a nicer car for the officer and crew to ride in while they're filming. Can't have the nation see the raggedy-*** cars that patrol has to drive every day, so they get a nicer one to drive strictly while the film crew is here. When the crew moves on, the officer goes back to driving his beat-up POS that he usually has, the one with over 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

Comment

If the department administration is going to have their department "documented" on an internationally televised show, do you think they're going to put the typical cop(s) in the car with the camera, or the cop that they'd like the world to THINK is typical for their department? I only watched "Cops" all the way through a couple times, but assuming that they sent the camera crew along with the poster boys for their department, I had to think: "Geez....is that the best they have??" I couldn't watch the show because it drove me nuts to see some 25 year-old dufus try to appear philosophical and worldly when they just couldn't pull it off, and should have stuck to talking about what kind of chew they like best....And every single guy they ride with gets the obligatory "cop philosophy" moment...If I hear the "7 hours and 55 minutes of sheer boredom with 5 minutes of terror" cliche one more time.....I don't think "Reno 911" is THAT funny, but it's a lot easier for me to watch than "Cops" or any of the overly done cop dramas.

Comment

That show better not be like real life policework or I'd be very worried. I haven't been able to watch that show since some woman made a joke about going into her home to 'get her gun' (when a cop asked for her id), and the officer still let her go in the house alone.
              "Uh, guys.......there's a red thingy moving towards the green thingy........I think we're the green thingy.."
              -crewman Guy, Galaxy Quest

Comment

Ok I admit I like to watch cops but they do some stupid stuff. I'm not even a cop and know better. I've even seen where officers will put themselves in direct crossfire of each other! Maybe the camera makes them go nuts....who knows.

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                  I only watched "Cops" all the way through a couple times, but assuming that they sent the camera crew along with the poster boys for their department, I had to think: "Geez....is that the best they have??" I couldn't watch the show because it drove me nuts to see some 25 year-old dufus try to appear philosophical and worldly when they just couldn't pull it off, and should have stuck to talking about what kind of chew they like best....And every single guy they ride with gets the obligatory "cop philosophy" moment...If I hear the "7 hours and 55 minutes of sheer boredom with 5 minutes of terror" cliche one more time .........
                  Wow, is all I can say!
                  The Dope Man giveth, the Cops taketh away!

Comment

I think COPS gives both an accurate and a distorted view of what it's really like to be a cop.

'Accurate' observations:
                    1. Despite our training, legal updates, policies and procedures, cops still develop bad habits. And being on national TV isn't always enough to cover those habits up. I'm reminded of the episode from a few years back where the featured officer was getting a runaround story from his suspect and finally said, "Are you deaf or just..." -- that's when he seemed to remember the camera crew was there and let the 'stupid' hang.
                    2. Cops are real people too. One of the very first episodes, back in 1989, showed a lieutenant from Florida at home with his wife. For 10 minutes she was trying to get him to talk about what happened at work that day, and all he wanted to do was watch 'Superman' on TV.

'Distorted' observations:
                    1. Reference above -- cops all get to drive nice, new, clean squad cars with up-to-date, working equipment. You never see anyone from the old episodes driving 1980s K-cars and V6 Tauruses, but a lot of old-timers I know remember those days.
                    2. Officers get exactly 6 calls every hour, and each call is cleared up in 7 minutes, with 3 minutes of commercials in between. "7 hours and 55 minutes of boredom..." is a cliche, but it's closer to the truth than the show leads one to believe.

One thing that's absolutely dead-on accurate, though. The shirtless guy ALWAYS goes to jail.
                    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

2. Cops are real people too. One of the very first episodes, back in 1989, showed a lieutenant from Florida at home with his wife. For 10 minutes she was trying to get him to talk about what happened at work that day, and all he wanted to do was watch 'Superman' on TV.
                      That episode only proved that neither Bunnel NOR his wife could act. I still remember that one because it was so contrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                        That episode only proved that neither Bunnel NOR his wife could act.
                        I know Bunnell... What his wife really wanted to know was who his three girl friends are. If he wanted to watch tv it would be to go over the video tape of him, his crew and the women from records getting drunk, partying and screwing.

Bunnell didn't have much of a reputation among local law enforcement, except of course his crew worshiped him because he got them laid regularly. He got elected to sheriff, promoted all his drinking buddies and then lost the next election after the public found out how sorry he was. The next sheriff sent his cronies back to the street.
                        "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Re: COPS show close to reality?

Studentcj
                          I guess i could shed some light on your questions a little better then some here. The producers of the t.v. show cops were in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. One film crew spent 6 weeks in my district. I did work with them a few nights.
                          First, let me say i'm NO DUFUS.... i'm not 25yrs old, and surely no PosterBoy. I work my a** off day after day in one of the busiest districts of Phila. I use my head when working, and rarely need a supervisor to make a choice for me. Maybe thats why my sgt. chose me a few times. (I'd like to think so)
                          I will say i had fun doing it, and the 2 guys from the film crew were nice guys and funny to boot, it was a good time.
                          There request was to try to be the first on the scene so they could show a job from start to finish with an arrest, that was there ideal wish. My partner and I were lucky enough to get some of those jobs and i know some will be used. My only request of them was: if I told them to stop filming they would do so. (it happened once and they did stop)
                          I got to use a brand new car, now that in itself was a joy. the cage was removed to allow the camera to film us driving better. When we did have an arrest we had the Wagon crew take the prisoner and we did the paperwork later. The best thing about it was we had the freedom to go where we chose. Without handling radio calls or having to worry about a certain sector to patrol. More or less we were on our own to find a job.
                          As police officers, we will always find fault when watching someone else handle certain situations. I will say that some guys acted a little weird in front of the camera, but all in all, things went fine and we all went home safely at the end of our tour.
                          Don't tell me you pay my salary unless your giving me a raise.

Comment

Well said Bob L.

I'm sure the officers portrayed in cops do their best in front of the camera and lights but is sure easy to be an arm-chair cop when that show is on (which is why I don't bother to watch it...heck, you should see me watching a hockey game ).

I do have one question though.......don't you find it a little stressful to have civilians (especially ones with a camera) in the car with you (this can also apply to ride alongs)? I mean, not only are they watching everything you do but its a few more bodies in the way while you're working (and bodies to watch out for when the going gets dangerous).
                            "Uh, guys.......there's a red thingy moving towards the green thingy........I think we're the green thingy.."
                            -crewman Guy, Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                              I know Bunnell... What his wife really wanted to know was who his three girl friends are. If he wanted to watch tv it would be to go over the video tape of him, his crew and the women from records getting drunk, partying and screwing.

Bunnell didn't have much of a reputation among local law enforcement, except of course his crew worshiped him because he got them laid regularly. He got elected to sheriff, promoted all his drinking buddies and then lost the next election after the public found out how sorry he was. The next sheriff sent his cronies back to the street.
                              So what you're saying is that Bunnell is your typical American county sheriff, because all the ones I know are just like that or even worse.
                              All Units Code Zero on one, Code Zero on one...all non-emergency traffic go to TAC-2

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4754 users online. 262 members and 4492 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X