300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you guys about self defense

I recently moved to a different country where the most prevalent crimes are muggings and home invasion. It's an island in the Caribbean with a medical school where students are frequently targeted.

I know the location is different and that may need to be taken into account, but in all of your experience what less lethal defensive measures would you recommend? A little info. Often people committing these crimes are often in pairs. I am a male, average build.

I was looking at several expandable batons online and lots of people/officers have recommended them, but I don't have any training. I will be home for summer so if I choose that option I will seek at least some training.

Lastly, I'm sure some of you will say this... I know it's about being smart. If they want cash and you don't have much on you, give it to them. The last thing you want is something you are carrying to be used against you. This is something I'm looking into for more serious situations. (sometimes students are threatened with a machete or things can get more serious if the mugger isn't happy with what you have. This would be for those situations.

Oh also, I was browsing around while waiting for account to activate... Are some people for real? "Oh I sold drugs like way back. 6 months ago. What are my chances?!" Also peanut butter? wtf

Originally posted by saulsa6124 View Post
    I recently moved to a different country where the most prevalent crimes are muggings and home invasion. It's an island in the Caribbean with a medical school where students are frequently targeted.

I know the location is different and that may need to be taken into account, but in all of your experience what less lethal defensive measures would you recommend? A little info. Often people committing these crimes are often in pairs. I am a male, average build.

I was looking at several expandable batons online and lots of people/officers have recommended them, but I don't have any training. I will be home for summer so if I choose that option I will seek at least some training.

Lastly, I'm sure some of you will say this... I know it's about being smart. If they want cash and you don't have much on you, give it to them. The last thing you want is something you are carrying to be used against you. This is something I'm looking into for more serious situations. (sometimes students are threatened with a machete or things can get more serious if the mugger isn't happy with what you have. This would be for those situations.

Oh also, I was browsing around while waiting for account to activate... Are some people for real? "Oh I sold drugs like way back. 6 months ago. What are my chances?!" Also peanut butter? wtf

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      Might be hard to get around with. I have a mop close by, I'll try concealing that and report back.

Comment

You FIRST need to find out the laws there.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It depends ENTIRELY on the laws there.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Boxing lessons. Knife fighting lessons if legal.

Buying wrenches doesn't make you a mechanic. Similarly, buying a baton with no training won't do much beyond give you a false sense of security, changing your decision making, and likely making you less safe.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              It depends ENTIRELY on the laws there.
              I understand that, thanks. I should have put it in my first post, but I figured it's my job to know the laws here. Just needed the advice.

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              Boxing lessons. Knife fighting lessons if legal.

Buying wrenches doesn't make you a mechanic. Similarly, buying a baton with no training won't do much beyond give you a false sense of security, changing your decision making, and likely making you less safe.
              Thanks. Like I said, I wouldn't get the baton until I could get the training to go along with it. More or less I'm just looking for general advice directly from a source that deals with this stuff all the time. Muggings happen about 2-3 times a month(actually double checking reports looks like around once a week), and that's just reported ones.
              Last edited by saulsa6124; 10-07-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Like I said, I wouldn't get the baton until I could get the training to go along with it.
                Yeah, I caught that. It shows a level of intelligence and maturity we sometimes don't get with our questioners. I meant that more for other folks that will search this thread out and gloss over the training, just reading "this is the best."

One reason I advocate boxing lessons first is that fists are instantly deployable, you never forget them, and they are pretty comfortable to carry. If you know what you're doing, they are extremely effective. We had a fellow punch two people recently, each person once, and one has a brain bleed and the other has a broken eye socket. He's not a real big guy, either, he just knew what he was doing.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

A spork. Followed up by a Chuck Norris-endorsed Super Roundhouse Kick to the face.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

IF and only IF you find expandables are legal in your area, try searching for an ASP instruction course. It may be hard to find though, especially for non-LE.

Comment

As a cop, I need training with an asp/baton in order to use the tool effectively without injuring the person it's being used on.

As a civilian - if I am being mugged you can give me a friggin' 2x4 and I am going to try out my Babe Ruth impression. So I sure wouldn't worry about using a baton in the same situation, in the same manner.

But I guess that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                        IF and only IF you find expandables are legal in your area, try searching for an ASP instruction course. It may be hard to find though, especially for non-LE.
                        Yea that's what I'm finding. It seems almost silly that it's hard to find for a non-LE.

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                        As a cop, I need training with an asp/baton in order to use the tool effectively without injuring the person it's being used on.

As a civilian - if I am being mugged you can give me a friggin' 2x4 and I am going to try out my Babe Ruth impression. So I sure wouldn't worry about using a baton in the same situation, in the same manner.

But I guess that's just me.
                        Haha, I get it. The training is for safety, but also like you said... You need training to use the tool effectively without injuring the person it's being used on. Laws are different here. I can use something for self defense but if it's only a mugging and the person gets seriously inhered I can be charged.

Also an interesting fact... They have lashing here as a punishment... and it's still used. (though not a ton)

Comment

Yea that's what I'm finding. It seems almost silly that it's hard to find for a non-LE.

Its a law enforcement tool ------------not really designed for non LE personnel

We don't want to militarize the population
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            Its a law enforcement tool ------------not really designed for non LE personnel

We don't want to militarize the population
                            Haha I'm not even touching this one.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Pretty much exactly what I expected/was looking for, except the trolls.

Comment

Get a Louisville Slugger. Provides sporting fun and a shattered kneecap
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4408 users online. 288 members and 4120 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X