300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fail out of Academy?

I am currently in the BI portion of the hiring process. Seems to be going well considering I am now scheduled for the CVSA. After that is complete I must take the MMPI-2 exam. Assuming I pass these steps I will be attending the Police Academy in Northern NV.

I am married with children and will be taking a $10/hr cut in pay to start a career on LE. I have been preparing for this by eliminating debt and decreasing my monthly liabilities.

I am in decent shape, but lack in long running endurance (which I continually work on). I am the type of person that must always plan three steps ahead. I can also pass the NV POST standards of the physical currently.

Obviously these questions are subjective, but what does a person do to fail out of academy?

Essentially the root of my question is even with 100% effort can I fail out of academy?

Am I gambling too much with this endeavour?

(I think I need to relax)

what does a person do to fail out of academy?
    Depends on the academy. Some are very strict and paramilitary and will wash you out if you can't meet certain standards or fail to adapt to the paramilitary environment. What those standards are really depends on the academy.

Others won't fail you unless YOU quit. As long as you keep trying and don't give up they will do everything they can to help you. Colorado, for example, has no state standard for physical fitness. Many academies will pass you as long as you don't quit during PT and show improvement from the beginning to the end of the academy.

Most are somewhere in between. You need to find out what the standards are for YOUR academy and be prepared to pass them when the academy starts. You need to be able to pass the graduation standard at the BEGINNING, not expect to meet it by the end. You'll have plenty of other problems and stress, you don't need sub-standard physical fitness and the possibility of injury or failure hanging over your head as well.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You need to relax.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by jtay View Post

Obviously these questions are subjective, but what does a person do to fail out of academy?
        Fail the requirements of the academy

Essentially the root of my question is even with 100% effort can I fail out of academy?
        yes
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I am married with children and will be taking a $10/hr cut in pay to start a career on LE. I have been preparing for this by eliminating debt and decreasing my monthly liabilities.

Am I gambling too much with this endeavour?

(I think I need to relax)
          Why change career fields, especially at a $10/hr pay cut? Will the total benefit package, including pension, equal it out a bit long term? Frankly, at this stage in your life you aren't just gambling with your future, but your families future. I'd be hard pressed to leave a stable job that pays better (if that's the case) regardless of what field I was changing to.

Anyway, yes, you can flunk out even with 100% effort. You can get hurt and get recycled. You can fail the physical testing. You can fail the academic standards (criminal law seems to get most of the academic wash outs). You could have a family emergency and simply miss too much time to take care of it.

You know yourself better than we do, and should have a realistic idea of your own abilities to pass exit physical standards, study and take tests well, etc. It's entirely up to you if the "reward" is worth the risk.

Oh, and about as many as fail out simply quit once finding out what the job is really like. We had about 5 quit the first day. Had another quit the first time we watched a video of an officer getting killed in the line of duty so we could learn what lessons there were from his death. More quit in FTO when they see the scumbags and abuse they'll be dealing with for the rest of their career, and how infrequently they'll deal with normal people.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
            Oh, and about as many as fail out simply quit once finding out what the job is really like. We had about 5 quit the first day. Had another quit the first time we watched a video of an officer getting killed in the line of duty so we could learn what lessons there were from his death. More quit in FTO when they see the scumbags and abuse they'll be dealing with for the rest of their career, and how infrequently they'll deal with normal people.
            Also nearly 50% of the people who make it through the academy & FTO quit before their 6th anniversary
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

People generally fail because of academics or the inability to pass the physical portion. As noted above, people drop out for a variety of reasons.

Did you ever consider being a reserve officer in order to get a taste before you took a big pay cut?

Comment

Yes its possible to get kicked out of the academy. My academy started with 50 people in it and only 42 made it to graduation and this was only a 18 week academy.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  Why change career fields, especially at a $10/hr pay cut? Will the total benefit package, including pension, equal it out a bit long term? Frankly, at this stage in your life you aren't just gambling with your future, but your families future. I'd be hard pressed to leave a stable job that pays better (if that's the case) regardless of what field I was changing to.

Anyway, yes, you can flunk out even with 100% effort. You can get hurt and get recycled. You can fail the physical testing. You can fail the academic standards (criminal law seems to get most of the academic wash outs). You could have a family emergency and simply miss too much time to take care of it.

You know yourself better than we do, and should have a realistic idea of your own abilities to pass exit physical standards, study and take tests well, etc. It's entirely up to you if the "reward" is worth the risk.

It is a difficult move to make considering the life I currently have. Yet, it is one of the those decisions where if I don't I will forever regret it. This is a career I have wanted to pursue for many years for many reasons. I also have amazing support from my family. We have researched, read, and watched many things about LE. We as a family have tried to understand the LE world from the view of the LEO and LEO's family all in hopes of going in prepared.

The cut in pay is substantial, but the career choice is what is important to us.
                  Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  People generally fail because of academics or the inability to pass the physical portion. As noted above, people drop out for a variety of reasons.

Did you ever consider being a reserve officer in order to get a taste before you took a big pay cut?
                  As far as physical standards for NV the department I am testing for weeds out applicants in the first stage by testing all of us against the states POST standards. I also downloaded a PDF that contains the current standards to ensure the standards were and are the same. I can and do pass them currently. I have also started the On Ramp training regimen from leathlete.com. I plan to incorporate runs of 2+ miles to this program as well and increase milage.
                  I have made mistakes with my cardio whereas I use to run 6+mi a day I quit to spend time lifting heavy i.e. powerlifting. (6' was 225lbs started powerlifting now 255lbs and dropping).

As far as running I have been running at the track with my goal pace of 2:15 per lap. I add distance every week in hopes of getting back to a sub 14 1.5mi. With my current progress I am on track for hitting my goal in less than 2 months.

Academically I am nervous, but confident. I know I am smart with a work ethic that is typically rare in my generation (25yrs/old).

I may be psychologically defeating myself at this point. I read topics on O.com constantly and see academies having 6+ mile runs at 9min/mi pace. This is where I begin to get nervous.

Nv Standards. (Me)
                  Vertical Jump:14" or greater (23")
                  Agility run: 19.5sec or less (16.3)
                  Pushup: 23 (Easy)
                  Situp: 30 in 1min (35 in 45sec)
                  300 meter: 69sec or less (54 test day, best now at 52sec)
                  1.5mi: 16:57 or less (me 15:40 pathetic 2yrs ago would have been sub 14)

Thank you.

Comment

Based on your posts, I don't see you having any problems with the academic portion of the academy, so don't sweat it.

Comment

Sounds like you've been focused on fitness for a while now. As mentioned, that's really the last piece of the puzzle you want to be sweating (no pun intended).

I found EVOC to be the most challenging part of the academy. Redman was no walk in the park either. Just keep up the workouts and hopefully all the psych stuff works out.

Comment

People who don't make it don't take it seriously enough. You seem to understand that it's a serious undertaking not to be taken lightly. Your and your family's lives depend to some degree on you being successful. If you are in shape and can do homework and study you should be fine in the academy. You're not going to medical or law school.

The real challenge will be when you enter field training. It's very stressful, but again if you are determined to succeed you will make it. Don't waiver. Ever. Survival is key in LE. This mindset is what will make you successful.

If you are going to pursue this, from here on you must have this mindset in all things.

Make the decision that failure is not an option and don't look back.

Good luck.

Comment

For many getting thru is the easy part. Many i went thru with still cant find a job and after 9 months of it ,without a job or someone to carry the license after a year, lost it and are in other lines of work .

Competition is tough getting hired also .Hard to eat a diploma if you cant find someone to hire.Take that in consideration if you havent,Is the position guaranteed upon graduation or multiple people up for a few spots ?
                          Last edited by jdthor; 10-03-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                            Depends on the academy. Some are very strict and paramilitary and will wash you out if you can't meet certain standards or fail to adapt to the paramilitary environment. What those standards are really depends on the academy.

Others won't fail you unless YOU quit. As long as you keep trying and don't give up they will do everything they can to help you. Colorado, for example, has no state standard for physical fitness. Many academies will pass you as long as you don't quit during PT and show improvement from the beginning to the end of the academy.

Most are somewhere in between. You need to find out what the standards are for YOUR academy and be prepared to pass them when the academy starts. You need to be able to pass the graduation standard at the BEGINNING, not expect to meet it by the end. You'll have plenty of other problems and stress, you don't need sub-standard physical fitness and the possibility of injury or failure hanging over your head as well.
                            Are there really academies out there that will pass you as long as you don't give up??? That would be nice. In CA you have an opportunity to fail out of the academy basically every single week. Granted, you get one second chance to pass a test, but if you fail twice, you're done. That's true for both hired recruits and self-sponsored guys.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              Based on your posts, I don't see you having any problems with the academic portion of the academy, so don't sweat it.
                              Thank you for the reassurance.
                              Originally posted by Tapatio View Post
                              Sounds like you've been focused on fitness for a while now. As mentioned, that's really the last piece of the puzzle you want to be sweating (no pun intended).

I found EVOC to be the most challenging part of the academy. Redman was no walk in the park either. Just keep up the workouts and hopefully all the psych stuff works out.
                              I become lazy at times with my regimen. Some days like today (night shifts) I need sleep rather than working out. My current work schedule is terrible with it being 1hr 40 min drive from my home and I'm always early and leave a few minutes late. For example on these nights I came home at about 0900 was asleep by 1000, up by 1400, working out by 1530, and headed to work by 1700. It makes for long days considering my occupation is physically demanding. So st times I take that extra 1.5hrs of sleep.
                              Originally posted by cantorzorn View Post
                              People who don't make it don't take it seriously enough. You seem to understand that it's a serious undertaking not to be taken lightly. Your and your family's lives depend to some degree on you being successful. If you are in shape and can do homework and study you should be fine in the academy. You're not going to medical or law school.

The real challenge will be when you enter field training. It's very stressful, but again if you are determined to succeed you will make it. Don't waiver. Ever. Survival is key in LE. This mindset is what will make you successful.

If you are going to pursue this, from here on you must have this mindset in all things.

Make the decision that failure is not an option and don't look back.

Good luck.
                              I don't like failure... Ever. Being not successful on things are good to learn from, but failing an entire program is unacceptable.
                              Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                              For many getting thru is the easy part. Many i went thru with still cant find a job and after 9 months of it ,without a job or someone to carry the license after a year, lost it and are in other lines of work .

Competition is tough getting hired also .Hard to eat a diploma if you cant find someone to hire.Take that in consideration if you havent,Is the position guaranteed upon graduation or multiple people up for a few spots ?
                              If I am able to make it to the academy the department will sponsor me through it.

I am feeling more confident just by reading everyone's post. Thank you everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3353 users online. 167 members and 3186 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X