Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "do I have what it takes" question

Long time reader, first time poster.

This is yet another "do I have it takes" to be a LEO question.

First, let me say this. I have two years in as a juvenile probation officer. In my state, we are NOT peace/police officers. We can only arrest probationers if we have a warrant. State law allows us to carry weapons the same as a LEO; in practice, we don't and never do. I have only participated in three arrests ever.

Obviously, I have no criminal history, good credit, etc.

Here is the work history and education:

2 years juvenile probation officer
    1 year correctional officer (again, not a LEO)
    2.5 years as a clerk working for the state police running TCIC/NCIC and other mundane tasks
    3 months working as a IT tech for a telecom
    4 years working retail, promoted in to store management

Education:

Bachelor of Science degree with honors (summa cum laude) from a state university. Major: Criminal Justice Minor: Business Admin
    Associate of Arts degree in general studies, community college
    Several information technology certifications in computer networking, computer security, and desktop support (Note: these are certifications NOT degrees)

I think my biggest barrier is that I'm a little on the out of shape side. I can do the 2 mile run in the time the PD I am thinking of requires.... Upper body strength has always been a problem with me, though, and the push ups are going to take some time to get where they need to be.

So, there it is. "Do I have what it takes?"

It looks like there is nothing glaring holding you back
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I do not see anything that would stop you from being a police officer. You mentioned the physical part as being a weakness, That is something that you can fix. That would be a good place to start proving that you have what it takes. How bad do YOU want it. If you want it bad enough, you will make yourself into the best applicant possible in all aspects.
      In God We Trust
      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by tim_oconner View Post

First, let me say this. I have two years in as a juvenile probation officer. In my state, we are NOT peace/police officers. We can only arrest probationers if we have a warrant. State law allows us to carry weapons the same as a LEO; in practice, we don't and never do. I have only participated in three arrests ever.

2.5 years as a clerk working for the state police running TCIC/NCIC and other mundane tasks

Education:

Bachelor of Science degree with honors (summa cum laude) from a state university. Major: Criminal Justice Minor: Business Admin
        Several information technology certifications in computer networking, computer security, and desktop support (Note: these are certifications NOT degrees)

I think my biggest barrier is that I'm a little on the out of shape side. I can do the 2 mile run in the time the PD I am thinking of requires.... Upper body strength has always been a problem with me, though, and the push ups are going to take some time to get where they need to be.

I would say you're missing the confidence to take the leap. Going off the information you provided us, it appears you have the ability to pass backgrounds and the other testing. You know this, yet you need strangers to confirm this for you. Instead of asking us if you have what it takes, look deep inside yourself and ask yourself, "Do I have what it takes and do I really want to be LE?" If you decide you want to dedicate yourself to LE then apply at a few agencies, work hard in the academy and avoid the BS drama. Once you graduate do what your training officer tells you, get off probation and have a great career.

Being a LE officer is a lifelong commitment. You don't do this for one shift and get to be regular Joe/Jane after your tour is done for the day. Once you put on the badge, everyone will know you as Officer/Deputy Smith. You will constantly be introduced as the cop, not Joe or Jane (it gets old quick). You will be solicited for legal advice by everyone you know (except other LE) and constantly have to hear the same "original" jokes over and over (I didn't do it). You will also be subjected to hate just because of your occupation. You will miss special occasions, games and other events. Your family will either adapt or move on without you.

Like I said earlier, only you know if you have what it takes and if you really want it. I can tell you this, despite the negatives of the job, I couldn't imagine doing anything else for a career. I have been blessed for the last eighteen years with a front row ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
          I would say you're missing the confidence to take the leap. Going off the information you provided us, it appears you have the ability to pass backgrounds and the other testing. You know this, yet you need strangers to confirm this for you. Instead of asking us if you have what it takes, look deep inside yourself and ask yourself, "Do I have what it takes and do I really want to be LE?" If you decide you want to dedicate yourself to LE then apply at a few agencies, work hard in the academy and avoid the BS drama. Once you graduate do what your training officer tells you, get off probation and have a great career.

Being a LE officer is a lifelong commitment. You don't do this for one shift and get to be regular Joe/Jane after your tour is done for the day. Once you put on the badge, everyone will know you as Officer/Deputy Smith. You will constantly be introduced as the cop, not Joe or Jane (it gets old quick). You will be solicited for legal advice by everyone you know (except other LE) and constantly have to hear the same "original" jokes over and over (I didn't do it). You will also be subjected to hate just because of your occupation. You will miss special occasions, games and other events. Your family will either adapt or move on without you.

Like I said earlier, only you know if you have what it takes and if you really want it. I can tell you this, despite the negatives of the job, I couldn't imagine doing anything else for a career. I have been blessed for the last eighteen years with a front row ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Stay safe.
          This sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Education:

The big question would be, how many donuts can you eat in one shift?
            Retired

Comment

There's nothing easier to fix than knowing you're not in the kind of shape you need to be in. Do some research. Train up the right way. Don't injure yourself in the process. Don't make "fit enough for the hiring process/academy" you goal. Make it a lifestyle change.

Comment

Tim, years ago, "Wheaties" used to have a slogan which said, "Champions are made not born". OK, let's look at your post. Good, no, very good background. Good work history, solid educational credentials.

Both running endurance and gaining upper body strength are things which can be worked on. I'd even go so far as to suggest you contact a physician who specializes in Sports Medicine. Get on a weight and running program, and work at it. I've got to believe it's taken some self discipline and determination to get to where you are now.

The sooner you get started, the more competitive you'll become. Good luck.

Comment

"Do I have what it takes?"

Only you can answer that one.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

What is stopping you? Apply, Apply, APPLY.

I applied at dozens of LE jobs before being hired.
                    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Get in shape and commit to staying in shape for your entire career. Your life and your partners' lives depends on it. There is no excuse for out-of-shape, round cops.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Actually your background and education are excellent.

...physical fitness is incredibly important, so if you have the mental wherewithal to get in shape I'd say: Yes, you do have what it takes.

If not, then: No.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                          Get in shape and commit to staying in shape for your entire career. Your life and your partners' lives depends on it. There is no excuse for out-of-shape, round cops.
                          But...but...but...

Round is a shape.
                          In God We Trust
                          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6918 users online. 364 members and 6554 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X