300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detention Gateway Agencies.

I've started talking to a Training Lieutenant with a Sheriff's Office close to me. He's informed me that the gateway position to have with his agency is Detention, and there you can progress to Patrol.

I have no gripes about starting off in Detentions, in fact I feel like it will be beneficial to know both sides of the agency in the long run. But I'm curious as to how likely it would be to progress from Detentions to Patrol. Has anyone here started off in the jails? How competitive was it to get a position with patrol?
    Prospective.

Yes, I did, with a Sheriff's Dept in Nevada about fifty years ago. The experience was invaluable. Once on patrol, I was familiar with much of our "local talent" and that worked to my distinct advantage. Should the department select you, consider the Detention duty as a valuable step in your career. It won't hurt you a bit.

Comment

One county I know of in Iowa has a waiting time of about 7-9 yrs in detention. They are hired as deputies and are in the jail until they can bid out by seniority

Back when I was with that agency the waiting time was much less --------I spent 18 months in the jail
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        One county I know of in Iowa has a waiting time of about 7-9 yrs in detention. They are hired as deputies and are in the jail until they can bid out by seniority

Back when I was with that agency the waiting time was much less --------I spent 18 months in the jail
        That seems like a breeding ground for low morale lol. This won't be the only agency I'll be dropping off an application to, but I think I'm going to do a few ride-alongs and get some first hand accounts of how it was.
        Thanks Iowa.

Originally posted by PhillipCal
        Yes, I did, with a Sheriff's Dept in Nevada about fifty years ago. The experience was invaluable. Once on patrol, I was familiar with much of our "local talent" and that worked to my distinct advantage. Should the department select you, consider the Detention duty as a valuable step in your career. It won't hurt you a bit.
        That's exactly my mindset. I am in no way a special person, I'm working with a good attitude and some military experience and no criminal past lol. I'll take what I can get as long as it will serve my interests and let me pay the bills. I just don't want to get stuck in a dead end position where I can't progress.
        Prospective.

Comment

Originally posted by RClar93 View Post
          That seems like a breeding ground for low morale lol. This won't be the only agency I'll be dropping off an application to, but I think I'm going to do a few ride-alongs and get some first hand accounts of how it was.
          Thanks Iowa.
          Pays the same
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by RClar93 View Post
            Thanks Iowa.

That's exactly my mindset. I am in no way a special person, I'm working with a good attitude and some military experience and no criminal past lol. I'll take what I can get as long as it will serve my interests and let me pay the bills. I just don't want to get stuck in a dead end position where I can't progress.
            Custody is not a dead end position (at least not in my department). I have spent half my career in custody, I learned a lot while working on the inside and know a lot of the crooks and their tricks (where they hide contraband/weapons and who the players are). One of the units I supervise is our warrant service unit. The deputies who can "spot" wanted persons the best are usually those who just rolled out of the custody division because they saw the crooks on an everyday basis.

Good luck in your search and thank you for serving our country.

Stay safe.

Comment

But I'm curious as to how likely it would be to progress from Detentions to Patrol.
              Many Sheriff's offices and other departments with a detentions function require it. Many also promote across divisions. If you're in patrol, you promote into the jail... if you're in the jail you promote out to patrol.

It's also not usually a dead end. My Captain has essentially done his entire career inside the jail. Often promotion and responsibility can come more quickly, because everyone else is fighting to get out to the street. Detentions is a vital function. There is no dishonor in making your career there.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

My department has only about 55 Deputies, and all but 4 or 5 did not come from the jail. Most start as civilian jail officers and then try for a Merit spot, which is a sworn Deputy within the jail. As mentioned, the jail gives you invaluable experience as far as knowing who the S-bags are and how to deal with them. It also gives staff the opportunity to see how a person works and fits in at the department prior to being sent to the road. The down side for some is it is not a quick process. Many civilian officers in our jail are reserves for other agancies and actively seeking employment at other departments. Just remember, you get out what you put in. Some of the smaller municipal departments in my county actually send their rookies to work with the jail staff for a couple of shifts so they know what happens there once they leave.

Comment

Thanks for the weigh-in, guys. I'm going to apply to a lot of different agencies but they will be one of them. Truth be told I'm not dead-set on patrol, if I went into this with tunnel vision I feel like I'd be setting myself up for failure and disappointment.

Do you guys notice a different hiring attitude with agencies who hire straight to patrol versus those who start off in jails?
                  Prospective.

Comment

Lets just say hiring straight to patrol alot get harder looks at apps because your normally going to be going up against people as has been mentioned,the agencys know because they have worked with them in the jails,They have a back ground with and on them they can see where as someone new they are kinda taking alittle more risk on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4089 users online. 190 members and 3899 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X