Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagging cars down on the interstate

Hello all.
    I've been catching up on a lot of posts here (tons of good information, thank you guys!) and I had something on my mind that I observed about a month ago. Just curious as to some insight and to know whether this is common practice or not...

I was driving down an interstate in MD and noticed a sedan on the side of the road way ahead of me (~3/4 of a mile, down a hill, on a curve in the road). I saw someone outside of it so I slowed down a bit. As I was about to pass the person I noticed it was a uniformed officer who was putting down his radar gun (perhaps laser or other device) and rushing out to flag the car down behind me.

There was not a lot of traffic on the interstate, but with most of the cars doing 75-80mph it seemed pretty ballsy to run 2 lanes over to flag someone down with nothing but a reflective vest on.

Is this fairly common practice for departments that do a lot of highway work?

All in a day's work.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan11 View Post
      Hello all.
      I've been catching up on a lot of posts here (tons of good information, thank you guys!) and I had something on my mind that I observed about a month ago. Just curious as to some insight and to know whether this is common practice or not...

I was driving down an interstate in MD and noticed a sedan on the side of the road way ahead of me (~3/4 of a mile, down a hill, on a curve in the road). I saw someone outside of it so I slowed down a bit. As I was about to pass the person I noticed it was a uniformed officer who was putting down his radar gun (perhaps laser or other device) and rushing out to flag the car down behind me.

There was not a lot of traffic on the interstate, but with most of the cars doing 75-80mph it seemed pretty ballsy to run 2 lanes over to flag someone down with nothing but a reflective vest on.

Talk to state boys I have no idea. I know I wouldn't be doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan11 View Post
        I would not say "Fairly Common" , but not unheard of.

That tactic is usually used on roadways OTHER than interstate highways. On the interstate there are normally better ways of handling the stop.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw a cop shooting speed on foot in TX before, but I would have assumed he would hop in his car if he was going to make a stop. This was the first time I saw the stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            On the interstate there are normally better ways of handling the stop.
            Yes, throw your body in front of the violating vehicle.
            Retired

Comment

I haven't seen MSP, or anyone for that matter, do this in years. A Howard County officer was killed doing "step outs" on 32 ( http://www.odmp.org/officer/18924-co...-scott-wheeler ) and many agancies prohibited the practice after that. Personally, I never liked doing it. It is effective in stopping a lot of cars quickly, but with so many drivers suffering fom cranial-rectal inversion syndrome it isn't the most prudent thing to do.
              Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
              To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2728 users online. 142 members and 2586 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X