Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedbird543
    replied
    I haven't seen MSP, or anyone for that matter, do this in years. A Howard County officer was killed doing "step outs" on 32 ( http://www.odmp.org/officer/18924-co...-scott-wheeler ) and many agancies prohibited the practice after that. Personally, I never liked doing it. It is effective in stopping a lot of cars quickly, but with so many drivers suffering fom cranial-rectal inversion syndrome it isn't the most prudent thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    On the interstate there are normally better ways of handling the stop.
    Yes, throw your body in front of the violating vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• MountainMan11
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys. I saw a cop shooting speed on foot in TX before, but I would have assumed he would hop in his car if he was going to make a stop. This was the first time I saw the stop.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan11 View Post
    Is this fairly common practice for departments that do a lot of highway work?
    I would not say "Fairly Common" , but not unheard of.

That tactic is usually used on roadways OTHER than interstate highways. On the interstate there are normally better ways of handling the stop.

Leave a comment:

• tj05
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan11 View Post
    Hello all.
    I've been catching up on a lot of posts here (tons of good information, thank you guys!) and I had something on my mind that I observed about a month ago. Just curious as to some insight and to know whether this is common practice or not...

I was driving down an interstate in MD and noticed a sedan on the side of the road way ahead of me (~3/4 of a mile, down a hill, on a curve in the road). I saw someone outside of it so I slowed down a bit. As I was about to pass the person I noticed it was a uniformed officer who was putting down his radar gun (perhaps laser or other device) and rushing out to flag the car down behind me.

There was not a lot of traffic on the interstate, but with most of the cars doing 75-80mph it seemed pretty ballsy to run 2 lanes over to flag someone down with nothing but a reflective vest on.

Talk to state boys I have no idea. I know I wouldn't be doing it.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    All in a day's work.

Leave a comment:

• MountainMan11
    started a topic Flagging cars down on the interstate

Flagging cars down on the interstate

Hello all.
    I've been catching up on a lot of posts here (tons of good information, thank you guys!) and I had something on my mind that I observed about a month ago. Just curious as to some insight and to know whether this is common practice or not...

I was driving down an interstate in MD and noticed a sedan on the side of the road way ahead of me (~3/4 of a mile, down a hill, on a curve in the road). I saw someone outside of it so I slowed down a bit. As I was about to pass the person I noticed it was a uniformed officer who was putting down his radar gun (perhaps laser or other device) and rushing out to flag the car down behind me.

There was not a lot of traffic on the interstate, but with most of the cars doing 75-80mph it seemed pretty ballsy to run 2 lanes over to flag someone down with nothing but a reflective vest on.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4966 users online. 308 members and 4658 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X