300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Science and Criminology?

I recently obtained my bachelor's in criminal justice, however I'm thinking of returning to complete a degree in computer science. Does anyone know if I can do anything or what I can do in the CJ field with these two degrees? I've just been pondering this thought about going back to school and going for computer science. I've been hearing computer science is in high demand but would like to know if I can still work in the CJ field. Thanks for any help!

Computer Science And Criminology?

Yes, it is certainly possible. I deputy I worked with became an investigator and did forensic hard drive examinations. Since it is a very technical, specialized area, she performed most of those for other agencies, because few agencies can afford to send one of their own deputies/officers for that training.

I guy I went to undergraduate college with did that double major. He became a state trooper and eventually moved into working on the systems for the state patrol day to day operations. Pretty much what is now computer aided dispatching and records management.

Comment

As much as I don't want to go back to school, I'm not sure if the cop thing is for me so I'm trying to decide on other paths...corrections, judicial marshal or just go back to school for something like computer science so I can get involved in cyber security. I'm just lost right now. If I went for computer science it would probably be about a year and a half of school if I do school year-round. I'm 23 almost 24 right now..
      Last edited by NextGenOfc; 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
        As much as I don't want to go back to school, I'm not sure if the cop thing is for me so I'm trying to decide on other paths...corrections, judicial marshal or just go back to school for something like computer science so I can get involved in cyber security. I'm just lost right now. If I went for computer science it would probably be about a year and a half of school if I do school year-round. I'm 23 almost 24 right now..

It's time for you to make a decision .

There are really hundreds of options you have with a CJ degree, (despite what people on here try to tell you). There are a lot of jobs in the CJ realm that do not involve being a cop---------as well as MANY options that have nothing to do with the CJ profession but still require a "degree"

If you choose to add a computer related degree you would multiply your options (however do you really want to spend your career in front of a computer screen)

Tag, its your choice
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Computer Science and Criminology?

Yeah I understand that at least having the degree accounts for something. I started thinking about the police thing a couple years ago and it's really getting to me that it may just not be for me. I liked the idea of it and liked going on ride alongs, but when it's just you and all that responsibility on you, it's a whole different story.

So I took the corrections test last month and the results come back next week but I'm also nervous about that job too. Just being around inmates constantly I feel like I would always be concerned for my safety. I also wouldn't want that type of job to change who I am either or take work home with me. But you don't know until you actually try it and I'm nervous about getting my feet wet. I know there are a lot of advancement opportunities, endless overtime, etc. I'm just also thinking of other things I could try to do as well without having to worry about my safety and not knowing if s*** may hit the fan at any given moment. Especially during the past month or so I feel like the whole weight of the world is on my shoulders and I'm overwhelming myself with stress that is unecessary.

I thought the computer science thing looked interesting because with a cj degree i may look more appealing to employers, particularly in the cj field or employers looking for some type of cyber security. Or even federal agencies. I looked online and the job growth is expected to grow a lot in the coming years so i just looked into it for possible consideration.
          Last edited by NextGenOfc; 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
            Just being around inmates constantly I feel like I would always be concerned for my safety. .
            I spent 30 yrs in Corrections----------------------it is no more or no less "safe" than any other job

After doing BOTH LE and Corrections I consider Corrections MUCH MORE safe than LE

Personally I think (after reading your posts recently) you need to get completely out of the LE profession. I just don't think it is for you
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yeah I don't know. I don't know if I'm over analyzing everything or if they are normal thoughts to think about before getting into the field but I've been pretty stressed out lately that's for sure.

Comment

Stay with computers. It's more your speed.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Just curious, have you had a full time job for any length of time? You kinda sound like me right after I graduated college. Maybe the answer is to just try something for awhile (a couple years), and see how you like it. You already have a bachelors degree, and you can go back to school at any age.

However, I don't think law enforcement is a good career to just "try out." You could try other entry level type jobs and keep thinking about law enforcement. After a couple years at some other job you may find additional reasons that law enforcement is or isn't a good career option. I work with a guy who was a cop for 7 or 8 years and then went into real estate for a couple years, but ended up returning to LE.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3157 users online. 177 members and 2980 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X