300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilians helping out police

There is one thing I was curious about. If a civilian helps out a cop who is struggling to restrain a suspect and cuff them, what is the police policy on this? Would the help be welcome, or would it be a liability or safety issue where the cop would have to tell the civilian to back off.

I would be happy as heck if someone helped me if I was in trouble
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank You! Is my policy.
      Had it happen a few times...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Even before you physically intervene, you might start out by saying loudly something like "Stop resisting and do what the officer tells you to do!" This lets the officer know you're not someone coming to aid the suspect. If the officer is wearing a body camera (or someone is nearby not helping because they're too busy with their camcorder or whatever), that can help show that the officer wasn't the only one telling the suspect to stop resisting.
        --
        Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

A lot of our jurisdiction is rural, and on more than one occasion I and my colleagues have had a good ol boy pull off the road and stand by just in case a little help is needed. When you are alone and the SHTF you will take help where ever you can get it.
          In God We Trust
          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            I would be happy as heck if someone helped me if I was in trouble
            Wait so civilians can actually help instead of standing around with their cell phones and recording it instead?

Comment

I'd probably get the point across you're on the Officer's side before you step in. Most LEOs would welcome the help. I had a female Officer on my squad that needed help once. The Dept. actually gave the civilan some sort of award for his effort. Strangely, the civilan was the son of my wife's co-worker. He went home bragging about it & my wife came home asking questions about it, all on the same day. Kind of a weird deal if you ask me..........

Comment

Help is welcome but most of the time they surround you and yell "He ain't done nothin".

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                  Wait so civilians can actually help instead of standing around with their cell phones and recording it instead?
                  Only if they have already uploaded their world star video quotient for the day.
                  “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                    I'd probably get the point across you're on the Officer's side before you step in. Most LEOs would welcome the help. I had a female Officer on my squad that needed help once. The Dept. actually gave the civilan some sort of award for his effort. Strangely, the civilan was the son of my wife's co-worker. He went home bragging about it & my wife came home asking questions about it, all on the same day. Kind of a weird deal if you ask me..........
                    The last time I helped out an on-duty officer, I stated in a LOUD VOICE just before I stepped in "DEPARTMENT of CORRECTIONS" Then assisted in taking the person to the ground.

^^^^ That was about 6 months after I retired----and before I went back to Law Enforcement........after the scene was secure I explained to the on duty that I was RETIRED, He said he didn't care , he was just glad for the assist.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                      Stunning, ain't it? Every so often there's a video with one or more (usually "big-boned") people helping out. I enjoy watching those.

It's gratifying to hear Sammy Streetlizard gasping out "I give up! Get him off me!"
                      --
                      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Wooper'z beg pardon, I twaz', in, and now out O' A.A.Coppa'...

My bad'z...
                        Last edited by asullivan; 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM. Reason: Got lOst in a TiMe warp thiNgy...
                        Originally posted by mookster
                        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                        Originally posted by CityCopDC
                        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post

Wooper'z beg pardon, I twaz', in, and now out O' A.A.Coppa'...

My bad'z...
                          That's ok Sully---------------------------you been known to help a cop out a time or two

Especially when its Whack-A-Troll time

Comment

Helping is a mighty courageous and appreciable thing for the general public to do when an Officer is in need.

In contrast, there are things not appreciated...

I once had a relatively large, intimidating looking fellow in an equally oversize Ford pull up behind my unit while I was out on a traffic stop. After some rather abrupt words, he ended up telling me that he thought to "stand by" in case things got out of hand because he knew the person I had pulled over and the individual was "known to fly off the handle." The gentleman said he figured that since I was the "new badge in town" I probably wasn't aware of this person yet.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't think about announcing that you're helping out, but it is a good idea.
                              Last edited by meankitty; 09-12-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4536 users online. 301 members and 4235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X