300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormitories in Police Stations?

I've talked to a few police officers recently during the ride alongs, and they told me that some agencies have dormitories in the police stations. They told me that some police officers live in the dormitories so they don't have to pay for the rent and save money on gas. So what is your opinion on it?

Originally posted by career31905 View Post
    I've talked to a few police officers recently during the ride alongs, and they told me that some agencies have dormitories in the police stations. They told me that some police officers live in the dormitories so they don't have to pay for the rent and save money on gas. So what is your opinion on it?
    No such thing in my state.................................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

With the exception of the training academies, I haven't heard of this. I know that some of our prisons have living quarters for staff that wish to board there.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I have not heard of this before.

Comment

You sure they werent pulling your leg and hinting at the fire department ?

Comment

Never heard of it. Every now and then somebody on night shift, with an early court appearance, would sack out on the mats in the workout room to get a couple hours sleep before court. Anybody who tried to live in the station would be told to get out and get a life.

Comment

Thats why im thinking they were maybe hinting at him to be a fireman instead. hell i used to pass out Mcdonald Applications myself to people who couldnt do my last job.Kept a stack of them in the glove box.

Comment

Dormitories In Police Stations?

Two thought come to mind when I read this. Some state police/highway patrol units around the country may still have an organizational unit called barracks. However, when many people hear or read the term "barracks" it sounds like a living unit in the military. Many, perhaps most, state police/highway patrols around the United States seem to be based in the United States military. Thus, many things may have familiar sounding terms that may, or may not, match up with the military term that they came from.

At the risk of belaboring the point, what does the term "squad" mean to you? If it means a car with light, siren, and a cage, you are thinking in the police world. If it means a truck equipped with rescue gear, you are thinking in the fire service world. If it means a small military unit, led by an NCO, then you are thinking in the world of armed force.

The other thing I have heard of is some US Border Patrol folks are in such remote locations, that they essentially live in dormitory type housing units.
                Last edited by Jim1648; 08-16-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Where I work they have a place that you can crash and take a shower but you cant stay there.

Comment

I'll be really surprised if this is a real thing.

Comment

Never heard of this. We do have showers and a locker room.
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

All NYPD precincts have Dorms. Lots of guys that live far away take advantage if they do a 4 x 12 and have court in the morning the next day. Precinct detectives use them a lot because they have a schedule that requires them to work to 1 am one day and be in for 8 am the next.
                        Last edited by BNWS; 08-17-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Here's a story involving a Detective Squad Lieutenant and a precinct dorm inspection.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1621983
                          Last edited by BNWS; 08-17-2014, 09:52 AM. Reason: editing

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                            All NYPD precincts have Dorms. Lots of guys that live far away take advantage if they do a 4 x 12 and have court in the morning the next day. Precinct detectives use them a lot because they have a schedule that requires them to work to 1 am one day and be in for 8 am the next.
                            But that doesn't involve LIVING in the dorms to save rent and gas

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear. You're right, no living in NYPD dorms. Although I know a few that have had extended stays in the dorm after a marriage went down the tubes while trying to line up a place to live. You see these guys skulking around the locker room and dorm trying to avoid supervisors and coming and going during shift changes. Usually only lasts a few days before someone tells them to get their act together. These dorms probably saved more than a few cops jobs and lives in the old choir practice days.
                              Last edited by BNWS; 08-17-2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 363 members and 5963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X