Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JW1812
    replied
    Just being on active duty orders (reserves), I make about $400 a week as a LCpl. Not bad money for an E3, but you are not going to survive off of that.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    You do realize that the $2-400 a month is BEFORE taxes, right?

Leave a comment:

• Gradient Shift
    replied
    If you are looking to apply to a department which requires a college degree (any degree) it is absolutely imperative that you ensure the university's accreditation is accepted by the departments in question. Without that accreditation that piece of paper means nothing to that department. Westwood "College", which is a nationally accredited school but not regionally, is currently being sued in various states for making claims that graduating from their program makes the student qualified to be employed by various departments by name. However, some/many departments do not accept the degree given.

I know numerous people personally who were suckered into going to Westwood and, despite my pleas, continued attending until they graduated. Many of them now have $100k+ worth of debt and lived a life on "pause" while they attended this school with nothing positive to show for it.

Originally posted by MCR1 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm too far deep into my major (CJ) to switch. I mean is it possible if I do go for a Bachelor's maybe I can go for something like Forensic Science?
    This concerns me greatly as it is normally an indication of a "for profit" university with possibly shady practices. An associates is less of a degree and more of a certificate that you completed the general education requirements required for a bachelor degree. Any classes you take outside of gen eds are normally considered electives which the student has decided to have a concentration in a particular discipline. In other words, you can take whatever classes you want.

Furthermore, when you transfer to another university, if by some chance those criminal justice credits do transfer, the undergraduate university may not accept those criminal justice classes as the university wants you to take their classes with their professors. I had to retake CJ 101 (even used the exact same book) and a couple other classes when I transferred due to this.

I highly suggest you investigate this further.
    Last edited by Gradient Shift; 08-14-2014, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MCR1
    replied
    Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
    This is going to sound a bit harsh and thats not my intention. How do you think being in law enforcement will keep you from having a student debt?
    I don't believe it will at all. What I believe is before I go into a Bachelor's field and get myself wounded up in 50K of debt why not just pay the CC debt and then after I'm done see where my options are from there?
    You havent mentioned looking at specific agencies. Have you? are there ones you are hoping to get on with? Have you looked at their hiring process? And last question, have you looked at thier pay and benifits? Law enforcement is notorius for not having great pay. You wont get rich in this profession. Youll get by. If you find the right agency you may be a little more well off but youll still have to watch your budget.
    This is very true. I do have a couple of specific agencies I want to work for...but I don't want to be too caught up in that if I can go to other departments. I live in NJ so Bergen County is definitely where I want to do LE...if not I wouldn't mind Pennsylvania State Police, or NJSP. Bergen County is notorious for having officers hit six figures. NJSP starts off at 60K (base without OT) and PA SP starts off at 54K which isn't too bad either.

You also do realize that your pay from the reserves is only for the MUTA's (your weekend) of work. Each day of the weekend is 2 MUTA, 1 for the morning 1 for the afternoon, so in 1 weekend youll only earn 4-5 days worth of pay. That an E-1 scale, thats only roughly $80 for the weekend. When I was an E-4, I would make around $160 for the weekend and thats before taxes. You are NOT drawing a full salary while in the reserves unless to are activated, this would include while you are at basic training.
    I spoke to a recruiter about this, and he gave me different information. He told me while at basic and active duty you make at least 1200-1400. Once you go back home and do one weekend per month, he told me you'll earn $100-$200. This Is what he told me so hopefully he didn't give me wrong information

I understand I don't draw a full salary from the reserves, but I want to do it to serve my country, but also to stay closer to home, and keep my job + still keep the Bachelor's Degree in mind. The National Guard will pay for most of your tuition so I might consider going to a university, but I'm not sure yet. It all depends. I currently hold a job that does not pay much for a college student, but I get by and I get 40 hours weekly. I make about 1600 a month. Not enough to even live on my own yet, but still enough to help around the house, pay my own bills, and student debt
    The benifits on the 3/5 enlistment versus the 6/2 are exactly the same, with 1 exception, retirement points. You'll gain more retirement points toward a military retirement on the 6/2. If you dont plan on making it a career, this is a mute point. I'm not trying to disuade you, I'm merly trying to educate you on things you may not know or your recruiter may not tell you unless you ask the right questions.
    I want to keep the Military as a career in the back of my mind. The recruiter told me the difference between the 3/5 and 6/2 is the 6/2 will give me federal and state benefits. The 3/5 will only give me state benefits and no GI Bill

I really hope you reconsider that CJ degree. Many of your credits may carry to another degree plan. If you dont belive me on a CJ degree helping, do some research and give me just 1 agency that says they require a CJ degree to be hired or that youll gain higher consideration with a CJ degree as opposed to having only college credits or ANY degree. What is your plan, after you get your degree, if you do not get hired with an agency? Have you even considered that fact it may not happen? I always hope people can obtain what they are after but it doesnt always happen. It would behove you to consider this BEFORE you make any more plans for education. And as for the military, MP does not help either. The jobs are much different. Again youd be better off in an MOS that can give better life skills or oporunities after service, ie. Engineer, Mechanic, even truck driver or medic.

Good luck and please, PLEASE try to understand we are not trying to convince you out of it, merely trying to get you to think about the decisions you are making to see the other sides of it.
    I appreciate the help, and I'm not taking what you said the wrong way. I've given a lot of thought about this so it's good to hear opinions from everyone. I don't want to be working Security for the rest of my life. That scares me enough. Unfortunately I'm too far deep into my major (CJ) to switch. I mean is it possible if I do go for a Bachelor's maybe I can go for something like Forensic Science?

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    A CJ degree is STILL a degree-----------------I know countless people who have CJ degrees and actually got jobs in other fields
    I have a CJ degree and have worked in other fields... more in other fields than in LE.

The degree, any degree, with a good GPA _is_ the most important thing.

My CJ degree came in handy at the academy to some extent, since I was familiar with most of the concepts already. I just needed to learn the details that apply in THIS state, since I earned my degree mostly in California. However, everything I needed to know I would have learned in the academy anyway.

Nobody is saying don't get the CJ degree, at least I'm not, BUT if you're going to get a degree why not broaden your perspective a bit and go for Sociology or Psychology, political science, public administration, business administration... etc.

If CJ is all you're interested in and that's what you'll get the good grades in, then by all means.

If you're a little more flexible, then consider something else.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    The problem isn't really having a CJ degree if you work in LE, the problem is what to do with it if LE doesn't work out.
    A CJ degree is STILL a degree-----------------I know countless people who have CJ degrees and actually got jobs in other fields

We tell people that a degree is a degree in law enforcement hiring-------------surprisingly a lot of other professions feel the same way. A degree (in anything) shows a prospective employer that you finished the requirements for a specific degree

In case you are wondering -------------I know a DOCTOR who has a CJ 4 yr degree---a medical doctor. He decided he didn't want to stay in Law Enforcement and moved on---------------

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    The problem isn't really having a CJ degree if you work in LE, the problem is what to do with it if LE doesn't work out.

Leave a comment:

• eaker995
    replied
    This is going to sound a bit harsh and thats not my intention. How do you think being in law enforcement will keep you from having a student debt? You havent mentioned looking at specific agencies. Have you? are there ones you are hoping to get on with? Have you looked at their hiring process? And last question, have you looked at thier pay and benifits? Law enforcement is notorius for not having great pay. You wont get rich in this profession. Youll get by. If you find the right agency you may be a little more well off but youll still have to watch your budget. You also do realize that your pay from the reserves is only for the MUTA's (your weekend) of work. Each day of the weekend is 2 MUTA, 1 for the morning 1 for the afternoon, so in 1 weekend youll only earn 4-5 days worth of pay. That an E-1 scale, thats only roughly $80 for the weekend. When I was an E-4, I would make around $160 for the weekend and thats before taxes. You are NOT drawing a full salary while in the reserves unless to are activated, this would include while you are at basic training.

The benifits on the 3/5 enlistment versus the 6/2 are exactly the same, with 1 exception, retirement points. You'll gain more retirement points toward a military retirement on the 6/2. If you dont plan on making it a career, this is a mute point. I'm not trying to disuade you, I'm merly trying to educate you on things you may not know or your recruiter may not tell you unless you ask the right questions.

I really hope you reconsider that CJ degree. Many of your credits may carry to another degree plan. If you dont belive me on a CJ degree helping, do some research and give me just 1 agency that says they require a CJ degree to be hired or that youll gain higher consideration with a CJ degree as opposed to having only college credits or ANY degree. What is your plan, after you get your degree, if you do not get hired with an agency? Have you even considered that fact it may not happen? I always hope people can obtain what they are after but it doesnt always happen. It would behove you to consider this BEFORE you make any more plans for education. And as for the military, MP does not help either. The jobs are much different. Again youd be better off in an MOS that can give better life skills or oporunities after service, ie. Engineer, Mechanic, even truck driver or medic.

Good luck and please, PLEASE try to understand we are not trying to convince you out of it, merely trying to get you to think about the decisions you are making to see the other sides of it.

Leave a comment:

• MCR1
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Suppose you try this. Try to accept the good faith replies you've received since YOU asked your original question. It should be rather apparent to you that we're going to tell you the truth. That means the whole truth, whorts and all. If you don't like that, if you don't appreciate that, then you're the one with the problem.

Try to grasp this. We(the forum) don't rehearse our replies. We don't get together on some secret site and agree on how we'll reply to a given poster. What you've received is indeed, a consensus. That's where you get pretty similar replies from different sources. That should mean something to you. Not in some sentimental sense, but in every practical sense of the word.

We deal with self entitled, "it's all about me" weenies on a daily basis. Don't be one of them, especially if you are serious about military service or a subsequent law enforcement career. You'd be wise to once more review the valid and truthful replies you've received.

You could pay some total clown like Dr. Phil (no kin thank Heaven) dump trucks full of cash for his total bull****, or receive the truth, free of charge like you have here. We really are a bargain, but only if you're man/woman enough to accept the truth.
    I Understand and I do appreciate everyone's help dont get me wrong. I'm only just iffy with trying for a bachelor's. Im afraid I'll end up as just another guy with 50-100k school debt and trying to pay that off for 2 decades

Yes I am serious about sustaining both a military career/ law enforcement for my future

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Suppose you try this. Try to accept the good faith replies you've received since YOU asked your original question. It should be rather apparent to you that we're going to tell you the truth. That means the whole truth, whorts and all. If you don't like that, if you don't appreciate that, then you're the one with the problem.

Try to grasp this. We(the forum) don't rehearse our replies. We don't get together on some secret site and agree on how we'll reply to a given poster. What you've received is indeed, a consensus. That's where you get pretty similar replies from different sources. That should mean something to you. Not in some sentimental sense, but in every practical sense of the word.

We deal with self entitled, "it's all about me" weenies on a daily basis. Don't be one of them, especially if you are serious about military service or a subsequent law enforcement career. You'd be wise to once more review the valid and truthful replies you've received.

You could pay some total clown like Dr. Phil (no kin thank Heaven) dump trucks full of cash for his total bull****, or receive the truth, free of charge like you have here. We really are a bargain, but only if you're man/woman enough to accept the truth.

Leave a comment:

• MCR1
    replied
    Appreciate the help as usual everyone. I will be getting my degree this semester or possibly Winter. Yes it is an Associate's in CJ. After that I want to go to National Guard, and if I pass hopefully I will enlist 6 /2 for better benefits than3/5. i know the pay isnt the best but I currently hold a full time job so I will get income from both. During my enlistment I plan on applying to multiple agencies

Also I want to get a bachelor's but the money isnt there right now. I already have loans to pay off from my community college which was a lot. Bachelor's can end me up with huge debt and if I can get a job in LE after Im finished paying my student loan debt that is when I think Ill go for a bachelor's

To the guy who said about me shooting up drugs to meps. I never went that far with only speaking to a recruiter. I was prescribed medication at the time by a doctor but I have been off it for years. The PD I recently applied to had no issues with that because I gave them a note from my doctor saying I am in good health and don't need it anymore so hopefully I should be fine
    Last edited by MCR1; 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    If I enlist for 3-4 years, will I have a good chance of being a Police Officer after?

Service (Honorable) in a Regular, Guard, or Reserve Component, does not guarantee that you'll be hired as Police Officer. What will matter is how well you navigate the hiring/selection process. In many Civil Service examinations, Honorable Service can result in Veteran's Preference Points (usually five points) being added to the score of your written exam.

In the meantime, be very careful of your associates. Build a solid job history. Should you decide to enlist, do the very best job possible regardless of your MOS, stay out of trouble, and get nothing less than an Honorable Discharge. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• eaker995
    replied
    As others have said, there is no preference points for Reserve time. Only active and normally 3 years other. You can gain active time if you are deployed. Also, an initial enlistment for Reserves is 8 years. 6 years active reserve, 2 years in the inactive reserve. If you just want to do 2-4 years and be done, go active, get your time, get maturity and experience beyond school, THEN be able to claim the preference points.

I was a reservist for my 8 years, Army, MP. Deployed to Iraq and Afghsnitan. I have no degree but many other life experience behind me. I now work a uniformed officer for a federal agency. Get yourself an education and some actual experience and you can have a good chance of getting hired. Just PLEASE dont get a Criminal Justice degree, it doesnt help. Go for Business Administration, Psycology, Sociaology, anything is better than a CJ degree since it doesnt garuntee a job in law enforcement and then where would you be? You have a fancy wall hanger that cant get you a job. Get something to fall back on just in case this career doesnt pan out. Out of all the applications, only 5% roughly will become hired by a department. Only roughly 3% will make it past FTO and become an officer and make it a career. With an approximate 97% failure rate, you may want to consider the "what if" you dont get it.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    double post

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    If I enlist for 3-4 years, will I have a good chance of being a Police Officer after?
    Being a part-time Soldier isn't the same as serving full time. Generally it isn't seen the same and doesn't give the same advantages, unless you deploy and get teh active duty time under your belt.

Don't enlist for the benefits or because you think it will get you somewhere else. Enlist because you want to serve and then use the perks that come with that. If you do it the other way around you won't be successful in your enlistment and it will be more of a disadvantage that if you never enlisted at all.

Well damn I'd figure a lot of LE likes people with military experience
    Many do. However it is just one aspect that they look at... and EVERYBODY applying has military experience now. As mentioned you have to pass the tests, boards, PT tests, etc... THEN your military experience may come into play, as will everyone else's you are competing against. They will have 4-6 years active duty or more, multiple deployments, college degrees, service-incurred disabilities, leadership experience, etc, etc.

What will you bring that makes you stand out from that?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4392 users online. 278 members and 4114 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X