300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this the right thing to do...

I was pulled over Saturday afternoon for 70 in a 55 and window tint. When the trooper came up to my car...

I had my car off, windows down and hands on the steering wheel. After he asked me for my license and registration. I told him I have a concealed carry license and I'm was not currently carrying. Is that something you guys would like to know? I 'm assuming the Trooper who pulled me over was pleased with my respect and my honesty of having a CCL because he cut me a break. No ticket on the tint and reduce my speed to 65 with no points. He did explain about the safety of the tint and me with a CCL. So I made an appointment in two weeks to get the 30% removed and have the state legal 70% installed.

It's the law down here in Texas. If you are a CHL holder, you are required to identify yourself when contacted by law enforcement. Speaking for myself, I appreciate it immensely when someone tells me, rather than I find out on my own.

Comment

It's the law pretty much everywhere. In the CCW classes they tell you that the first thing you are supposed to do is tell the officer that you have the CCW and if you are carrying.

Comment

You handled the situation appropriately. As to whether or not that's why you got a break, I can't say for sure, but that usually has more to do with overall attitude and demeanor than any one thing for me. Basically, if you're polite, admit that you made a mistake, and seem like you will genuinely try to drive in a safer manner, I'm probably going to give you a verbal warning. If you're incredulous that you were stopped, deny any wrongdoing, or generally seem like you're just going to keep doing whatever it was I pulled you over for, you're going to get a ticket.

And just to reiterate, my state law also says that you do need to identify yourself as a concealed carry permit holder when you come into contact with law enforcement, as well as informing us as to whether or not you're carrying a weapon. In addition to losing the permit and possibly getting charged, if I find out that someone has withheld that from me (and I will when I run their license) I'm going to have to search them for my safety because I view it as being very likely that they're carrying a weapon and am very suspicious as to why they broke the law by not telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
          It's the law pretty much everywhere. In the CCW classes they tell you that the first thing you are supposed to do is tell the officer that you have the CCW and if you are carrying.
          Not really pretty much everywhere.

It is not required in Iowa-----------------------and several other states.

as of Dec 2013 here are the states that absolutly REQUIRE notification

Alaska (Alaska Stat. Ann. §11.61.220)
          Arkansas (Ark Admin. Code 130.00.8-3-2(b)
          Delaware (Griffen v. State, 47 A.3d 487)
          Illinois (430 ILCS 66/10)
          Louisiana
          Michigan (MCL 28.425f(3))
          Nebraska (Neb. Rev. Stat. §69-2440)
          North Carolina (N.C. Gen. Stat. Ann. §14-415.11)
          Ohio (Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §2923.16)
          Oklahoma (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 21, §1290.8)
          South Carolina (§23-31-215)
          Texas (must provide permit when asked for ID, §411.205)

When the Weapons Carry law was revised in 2010 here in Iowa there was a sentence placed in the statute that FORBIDS linking Carry Permits to Drivers Licenses.

Most officers here in Iowa could care less if you are a holder (or if you are carrying or not)------------We go by the adage "You don't show me yours and I won't show you mine"

To the OP------------------you handled the situation properly
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-12-2014, 05:41 PM.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Your comments are much appreciated. I live in NY and I did not see anything in the law about disclosing a CCL on a traffic stop. When I took my course they did not mention I had to disclose it. but they recommended I do.

Comment

The only thing I might suggest you could have done in addition would be to roll down your windows, especially if they are tinted, so the officer could see into the back seat. Other than that you did good.
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

IOWA 1603, how is it as of Dec 2013 that Illinois is a State that requires notification, when in fact CCW wasn't legal until recently (2014).
                Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                  IOWA 1603, how is it as of Dec 2013 that Illinois is a State that requires notification, when in fact CCW wasn't legal until recently (2014).
                  I copied that from another site.................................it's either correct or not

By December 3013 the legislation had already been enacted--------------it might not have been enforce yet but the legislation had been passed
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I work in NY and while there is not a mandatory notification law, it is always a good thing to let any officer know as it has already been pointed out. I work for a city PD and work side by side with many troopers. Most of the time they are more "by the book" around here than other agencies so it is good you handled it the way you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

By December 3013 the legislation had already been enacted--------------it might not have been enforce yet but the legislation had been passed
                      Almost a thousand years from now... that's a little behind the times. Just couldn't resist.
                      Among Texas' finest

Comment

Originally posted by chapwolfe View Post
                        Almost a thousand years from now... that's a little behind the times. Just couldn't resist.
                        I guess it helps to proofread

Comment

Happens to me all the time, my friend. That's why they give us an edit key.
                          Among Texas' finest

Comment

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
                            It's the law pretty much everywhere..
                            False.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

It certainly doesn't hurt. Most officers are not at all jumpy about CHLs. I have to deal all the time with armed security guards who I know for a fact have lengthy arrest records. I'm more uneasy around them.
                              Just be calm about it, and keep in mind (at least in Texas) that the officer may disarm you at his/her discretion, but you will most likely get your gun back as soon as the stop is over. Also, keeping your hands in plain view is a fast way to put an officer at ease. I've only been stopped once so far after becoming an officer/carrying, and I rolled down my windows and put my hands on the steering wheel just so the officer had nothing to worry about.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3820 users online. 203 members and 3617 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X