Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before-academy training?

Hello all,

I am a new member, and have been stalking this forum, and looking at a career with San Mateo Sheriff. My question - is weapons training/combatives training before the academy a good idea? I have the opportunity to attend any classes at frontsite or thunder ranch, but wasn't sure if I should, as it might conflict with any training at the academy, leading to a lower score.

Also, for combatives, is it common to supplement the academy training? I have 7 years kung fu, 2 years aikido, and was looking at taking some krav maga classes. Good idea?
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Regardless of what you are taught someplace else, you are expected to do as instructed at the academy, so don't be the, "well, at Thunder Ranch they told me to do ..."

Comment

Quite honestly, as an instructor I would prefer that I was the one doing your weapons training. One of the toughest challenges I have faced in teaching is to get the old out so I can teach proper techniques. The high end courses (and some others) do a good job but there are a lot of "instructors" out there that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground. Your academy cadre will teach you what you need to know; beyond that it is your responsibility to practice and perfect what you learn.
      In God We Trust
      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Also, keep in mind, Law Enforcement tactics are designed around our equipment, which the average civilian won't have/carry, so doesn't train with/for. Some of the training at places like Front Site may not be compatible. I would wait until you are through the academy, and have passed the tests, before seeking training that may be contradictory to what the academy wants you to do. One of our instructors at the academy always told us that it wasn't a democracy in in training. We did it his way, period. Once you are out on your own, you are responsible for yourself. Until then, it's their world, you're just living in it...at least if you want their job.

Comment

All of the responses you received are spot on. It is very difficult to break old habits. I have attended a few "courses" after the academy involving shooting scenarios. I can't say I learned much that I didn't already know from the academy. And as mentioned in post #4, we are taught around our tools. That is one of the most important things. But if you do decide to attend one of those classes before the academy, don't be "that guy".

Comment

The ONLY training which will matter at present, is that which you receive from the academy your agency sends you to. Yeah, don't be "that guy".

Comment

The best preparation is to be completely physically fit for the academy and the job.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Go to the academy mentally and physically fit. I came from a family of law enforcement and I never picked up a weapon prior to being issued one at the academy. Ended up being one of the better shots in the class because I had no bad habits to break. Good luck.
                "Remember the most important play is the next one!"

Comment

Your academy training will also include the legalities you'll need to be a successful law enforcement officer. Don't take on bad habits that will be harder to break.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

I think Krav Maga or other martial arts classes aren't a bad idea before the academy. Most Defensive Tactics at the academy are pretty minimal, I think, and knowing more than just the few basic punches, kicks, and counters you'll probably learn will definitely make you better able to protect yourself.

I'm sure you're anxious to get started, but there's plenty of training/preparation you can do just in terms of running and physical fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                      I think Krav Maga or other martial arts classes aren't a bad idea before the academy. Most Defensive Tactics at the academy are pretty minimal, I think, and knowing more than just the few basic punches, kicks, and counters you'll probably learn will definitely make you better able to protect yourself.

I'm sure you're anxious to get started, but there's plenty of training/preparation you can do just in terms of running and physical fitness.
                      Not sure if I can respond, because I am not an officer, but I did make the thread soo

Anyways, thank you all for your advice - I will delegate more time to physical training rather than gun training. Martial arts, exercise, running (erg), ect.

Thank you all!
                      REINSTATE THE TRIG
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      Your logic defies logic
                      Originally posted by Rudy8116
                      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                      Originally posted by Michigan
                      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                      Originally posted by 02paul09
                      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2788 users online. 158 members and 2630 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X